Swim diapers

47 minutes ago, robnmac said:

Does anyone know if the Splash Zone allows toddlers with swim diapers?  I’ve read conflicting information..  thanks

The Oasis class, Quantum class, Freedom class, and one or two Voyager classes have an "infant only recreational water facility" that allows swim diapers.  These are only a part of the kid's splash pools, and are segregated by plexiglass shields to prevent cross-contamination.  It will have only 2" or less of water, and will have signage regarding the use of the area with swim diapers.

• Like 5

Speaking from experience, the "splashaway bay" area for the most part will not allow kids in swim diapers.  On some ships (I was on Liberty), there is a "baby splash zone" where they are welcome to play.  It's definitely a very small area of the water park and you may find your kid will want to run around the rest of the water park, but the lifeguards will totally be watching.

On MSC Divina, they had a really great little splash pool that kind of wrapped around the main pool (sorry it's really hard to explain) and it was amazing for little kids!

I understand that taking diaper-wearing kids on a cruise can be tough.  Especially when it comes to pool time.  I hope this helps!

On the bigger ships there is a baby splash zone that they do allow swim diapers, but any other pools and splashaway bay is a no. They will not even allow older siblings to come into the baby area and then go back out due to cross contamination. The baby area is great for little ones though. Ours loved it until she was old enough. There was a small climbing area and a slide and a few inches of water to splash in. Honestly splashaway bay has so many big kids running around you wouldn't want one small enough to still be in diapers in that area. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention we will be on the Enchantment.  We were there last month, but didn’t have any children with us so I didn’t pay attention to the splash zone they have.  We will be on again soon with our grandson.

Just now, robnmac said:

I forgot to mention we will be on the Enchantment.  We were there last month, but didn’t have any children with us so I didn’t pay attention to the splash zone they have.  We will be on again soon with our grandson.

The Vision class ships do not have these pools.

33 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Do they actually check? My son is potty trained but I was going to put on a swim diaper under his trunks just for peace of mind. 

If the swim diaper were to become visible, the lifeguard would have to shut down the pool, drain and sanitize it, regardless of whether your child had done anything or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Thank you! My son's swim school makes them wear swim diapers until they are like 5 out of caution so I was just going to do that. I will plan otherwise. Thanks! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Wow. Thank you! My son's swim school makes them wear swim diapers until they are like 5 out of caution so I was just going to do that. I will plan otherwise. Thanks! 

Yes, the CDC/USPH holds cruise ships to a stricter standard than states/municipalities do for land pools.  The CDC did a study of land pools and swim diaper splash areas a decade or so ago, and found that over 80% of them would be in violation of CDC requirements, and nearly 95% of swim diaper pools would have been closed instantly due to coliform bacteria contamination.

• Like 1

We took our then 1-2 year old grand niece on the "Oasis" and the "Harmony" (4 -5 years ago) and if I recall correctly they have a "Splash Zone" play area designated for toddlers and she was allowed in there with her "Swimmers" on.

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the CDC/USPH holds cruise ships to a stricter standard than states/municipalities do for land pools.  The CDC did a study of land pools and swim diaper splash areas a decade or so ago, and found that over 80% of them would be in violation of CDC requirements, and nearly 95% of swim diaper pools would have been closed instantly due to coliform bacteria contamination.

Isn't the nickname for those...."fecal teabags"?  🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If the swim diaper were to become visible, the lifeguard would have to shut down the pool, drain and sanitize it, regardless of whether your child had done anything or not.

From very recent experience they aren’t enforcing it at all.  I alerted the lifeguard there was a baby in the hot tub with a swim diaper.  🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️    There seems to be kids all over the kids area in swim diapers.   Very different than a few years back.  They used to be very strict.  Not at all now.  Admittedly, the signage is way too small and not obvious to most.