Uograde to Premium Beverage Package not worth the money

drakes2

49 minutes ago, markeb said:

Try Googling "supply chain issues in the wine industry". It's a much larger issue than cruise ships. Nice but short article from Forbes concentrating on bottles and cardboard boxes, but there are other articles that look at other issues, such as shipping delays. I'm sure some of that also impacts liquor (whisk(e)y).  I certainly see bare shelves in the state stores here in Virginia. And I know my friend who runs a very nice wine shop has issues getting specific products, but his business model doesn't depend on having a constant supply of a specific wine. And there are folks here on Cruise Critic who are fortunate enough to not see any of that (so far).

I totally agree, it's definitely a supply chain issue.

We are experiencing this problem in our state. I tried and failed today to locate our favorite wine. Every location within driving distance is sold out. 

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We are experiencing this problem in our state. I tried and failed today to locate our favorite wine. Every location within driving distance is sold out. 

Are you on the classic package or premium?  🙂

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sell cruises with All in and then not deliver. Shame on Celebrity and their suppliers.  There’s lots of good wine available.  Wine was one of the few things that I never found in short supply.   What’s next?  Check in and don’t sail. Gas supply low?  If you sell drinks included,  have the drinks available. 

That's the direction they're headed. 

Overpromise and underdeliver! 

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I disagree. It may be CELEBRITY'S supply chain issue, but there are few signs of a wider supply chain issue.  

The problem may well be that Celebrity committed to specific suppliers that have been unable to deliver, but that their problem, not a wider problem.  They need to roll with the punches and adapt.   Simply failing to provide offerings comparable to those for which guests are paying is inexcusable. 

• Like 3

In my area of Fl there seems to be no shortage of "wines of all kinds." Whether Total Wine, ABC, Costco or a small local wine shop with many scarcer wines, I can pretty much get whatever I want. 

Any thoughts that maybe Celebrity has, at least for the time being, cut back on the amounts of wines they buy and from whom they purchase. Same for liquors. Is this a cost saving measure rather than a blatant attempt at withholding or supply issues? 

For now, at times, you might get less for more. As "Cage the Elephant" so eloquently said, take it or leave it. Now, isn't that easy to do?    

15 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

In my area of Fl there seems to be no shortage of "wines of all kinds." Whether Total Wine, ABC, Costco or a small local wine shop with many scarcer wines, I can pretty much get whatever I want. 

Any thoughts that maybe Celebrity has, at least for the time being, cut back on the amounts of wines they buy and from whom they purchase. Same for liquors. Is this a cost saving measure rather than a blatant attempt at withholding or supply issues? 

For now, at times, you might get less for more. As "Cage the Elephant" so eloquently said, take it or leave it. Now, isn't that easy to do?    

Take it or leave it?  Do you work in Customer Service?

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Take it or leave it?  Do you work in Customer Service?

Take or leave what exactly?  At this point, it seems difficult to take Celebrity at their word of offering a premium beverage package. 

• Like 2

Just now, D C said:

Take or leave what exactly?  At this point, it seems difficult to take Celebrity at their word of offering a premium beverage package. 

If you’re asking me I was not the poster.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, durberville said:

ARRRRGGGHHH! I was gonna upgrade today when it was $12 and then thought I’d wait….well CRAP not sure it’s worth that to me. Wow!! A heads up from Celebrity might have been nice! 😡

call and tell them; we did and they comp'd me with OBC to make up the cost difference

I am trying to decide whether to buy the premium or classic package.  Does anyone know how much a Jack Daniels is?  This will determine if its worth the upcharge to Premium or just pay the cost difference if I settle on the Classic package.  I think the other drinks I consume will cost $9 or under.  

6 hours ago, Nursecruisers couple said:

We paid for the upgrade to premium before the price hike and sail on Friday, June 3rd.  Will we be charged an additional amount or are we all set and “lucky” to have bought in before price increase.  Thank you

You should be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy! (if they actually have the advertised offerings onboard)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, D C said:

You should be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy! (if they actually have the advertised offerings onboard)

Passenger goes to the buffet.  Sorry we’re out of eggs and butter.  Supply chain issue.  Would you like a dry bagel?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Passenger goes to the buffet.  Sorry we’re out of eggs and butter.  Supply chain issue.  Would you like a dry bagel?

Speaking of dty bagels, went to spa Cafe early one morning for their bagels with peanut butter and bananas. Bagel was stale so opted for a smoothie but tried again  next morning..... well they ran out of bananas. 😆 Also no bananas foster the entire cruise in MDR. But they could offer peaches foster!!! 

We were never fans of the wines by the glass options.  But when the few that we "liked" are not available it really makes the packages useless to us since we mainly drink wine.  The Royal lines seem never to do equitable subsitutions when they are out of a wine.

We just finished a cruise on RCL where we did carry on our bottles of wine.  Much more enjoyable than dealing with the package issues.  They did have the Kim Crawford SB by the glass, no moscato or chardonnay....  Did not check reds since that is what we brought onboard.

"Take it or leave it." I confess, I am the malefactor. I might have gotten away with it had Z not ratted me out.

It is a Premium "Beverage" Package and subject to change or modification depending on circumstances. We purchase the package for that reason, not solely for the alcoholic version. And, as I have said before, wines included with the PBP are not Premium wines. For those you will pay beyond the allowed $$, by glass or bottle. 

We never get our money's worth from the extra spent on the PBP. It is the convenience of a full "beverage" package that makes our cruise more enjoyable. That is why we take it rather than leave it. 

9 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

"Take it or leave it." I confess, I am the malefactor. I might have gotten away with it had Z not ratted me out.

It is a Premium "Beverage" Package and subject to change or modification depending on circumstances. We purchase the package for that reason, not solely for the alcoholic version. And, as I have said before, wines included with the PBP are not Premium wines. For those you will pay beyond the allowed $$, by glass or bottle. 

We never get our money's worth from the extra spent on the PBP. It is the convenience of a full "beverage" package that makes our cruise more enjoyable. That is why we take it rather than leave it. 

Our reason for taking it too.

Anyone interested in the supply chain issues regarding the wine industry, just Google “wine shortage 2022”. There are lots of articles.  Everything has been affected, from the herbicides needed to protect the grapes to the bottles and corks to hold the wine as well as shipping and transportation issues. 🍷

17 hours ago, cmoore5524 said:

I would love to see that list, but for some reason it would not download.

15 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Not for me either. 

I am not the most tech savvy, sorry....

let's try again...the wine list is on post #38 on this page

To be fair, the vast majority of wines (and all the bourbons) which are ready to drink now were produced and bottled either pre-pandemic or in the very early days.  So if there are supply chain issues for what we want to drink now, it'd be centered on the packaging/boxes or in the actual delivery process.