NCL Air Deviation Question

Hello.

We are on the Epic leaving out of Rome in July and are using the NCL 2 for 1 Air program along with a two-day deviation ahead of the cruise.

I have received two different answers from NCL as to when we will be leaving the NYC area.  One rep said the day of your flight counts as a day, even though it is an overnight flight, so leaving Sunday night gets us to Italy on Monday and our cruise leaves on Tuesday.  Sunday+Monday=Two Days, even though it is really one day.  Another rep said no, you would leave on Saturday night, arriving Sunday, so a full day in Rome on Monday.  The latter makes more sense as if we did not do a deviation, we would be leaving on Monday night for the Tuesday departure.

Can anyone share their experience going to Rome from the NYC (or any East Coast city) and doing a two-day deviation with NCL air?

Thanks

Ed

We did a 2 day deviation ahead of our Copenhagen cruise in June. We leave Texas on Thursday and get to Copenhagen on Friday. We don’t get on the ship until Sunday. 

• Thanks 2

You're doing what we did except we opted for 3 nights in Rome before our cruise. We flew out of Dallas on April 30th and landed in Rome at 8:00 AM on May 1st. There was a driver holding a sign with our name on it who took us to our hotel (Golden Tulip) in Rome. On May 4th NCL took a bunch of us from the hotel by bus to the ship. A representative from NCL was at the hotel the day before we left with instructions. Everything went smoothly.

First off, I may see you on Board! Will be on Epic 7/10 - 7/17.

A 1 day deviation should get you into Europe a full 24 hours prior to your boat boarding (give or take); and a 2 day one additional day beyond that.

As an example, we have a 1 day deviation. We fly out 7/8 (arriving 7/9 mid-morning). We will get to the boat not until 5:00 PM on 7/10. So our 1 day deviation is giving us ~36 hours in Barcelona.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have a couple of somewhat related issues relating to NCL Air 2 for 1 package + 2 night pre cruise and 1 night post cruise.  We are sailing Breakaway in October 2023 R/T from Rome.  I have been told that we cannot upgrade to Business Class nor can we request seating together or we would forfeit the 2 for 1 promo.  I was told that after we are actually booked for our flights, whatever special arrangements we make directly with the airline is not a concern to NCL.  I was also told that ticketing occurs anywhere from 45 to 60 days before embarkation.  My question for experienced NCL Air travelers is how likely do you think it is that we would be able to upgrade to Business Class and/or make sure we are seated together on our flight after being ticketed?

The second question is we are booked at Golden Tulip Piram for the post cruise night, but they said I need to be waitlisted at Golden Tulip Piram for rooms for the two day pre-cruise extension.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, Daniel A said:

I have a couple of somewhat related issues relating to NCL Air 2 for 1 package + 2 night pre cruise and 1 night post cruise.  We are sailing Breakaway in October 2023 R/T from Rome.  I have been told that we cannot upgrade to Business Class nor can we request seating together or we would forfeit the 2 for 1 promo.  I was told that after we are actually booked for our flights, whatever special arrangements we make directly with the airline is not a concern to NCL.  I was also told that ticketing occurs anywhere from 45 to 60 days before embarkation.  My question for experienced NCL Air travelers is how likely do you think it is that we would be able to upgrade to Business Class and/or make sure we are seated together on our flight after being ticketed?

The second question is we are booked at Golden Tulip Piram for the post cruise night, but they said I need to be waitlisted at Golden Tulip Piram for rooms for the two day pre-cruise extension.

Seat selection is between you and the airline, not NCL. If the airline allows you to upgrade to Business Class you can do that. We booked in Premium Economy on United due to my status with the airline at that time, no fee just selected the seats we wanted. 

You will select seats with the airlines so being seated together should not be an issue. We chose aisle seats. Across from each other outbound and one in front of the other for the return. Neither of us wanted a middle seat but we were still together and that was fine for us.

We Left on Friday night, arrived in Barcelona Saturday morning and sailed Sunday evening. We had a one-day deviation pre cruise.

We have another 1-day deviation for our upcoming trip to Athens. Too early for flights to have been issued but I would expect similar travel arrangements: depart Friday for a Sunday sailing.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Nola26 said:

Seat selection is between you and the airline, not NCL. If the airline allows you to upgrade to Business Class you can do that. We booked in Premium Economy on United due to my status with the airline at that time, no fee just selected the seats we wanted. 

Same here. Booked with United one way, and British Airways the other. Sorta frustrating because the return flight has some flights on AA and some on BA. So ultimately we had to go into United, BA, and AA websites but we were free to confirm seats on all legs. I believe we had the option to upgrade to business on some of the websites. For all intents and purposes it looks just like you booked the flight on Kayak.com or any other TA.

The only thing BA showed as restricted was "Changing the Flight" - which we hoped we could pull off since some folks in our party don't live in the same city. was hoping to do a "no change fee" jiggery. However it was blocked per the website at the request of our Travel agent. Which I guess makes sense.

Edited by matterdog919

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 9:08 PM, EastTex said:

You're doing what we did except we opted for 3 nights in Rome before our cruise. We flew out of Dallas on April 30th and landed in Rome at 8:00 AM on May 1st. There was a driver holding a sign with our name on it who took us to our hotel (Golden Tulip) in Rome. On May 4th NCL took a bunch of us from the hotel by bus to the ship. A representative from NCL was at the hotel the day before we left with instructions. Everything went smoothly.

We are wanting to do this next July 2023, however NCL is not allowing us even though they said they could.  We are running into so many issues and they are not willing to help us even though they were not clear in their "policies" and even though they said they could do 3 days.  Their hotels are completely booked so we had to find another hotel and now we can't get airfare into Rome 3 days before our cruise.

How were you able to secure 3 nights before your Wednesday cruise departure?

Thank you!

On 5/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, matterdog919 said:

So ultimately we had to go into United, BA, and AA websites but we were free to confirm seats on all legs. I believe we had the option to upgrade to business on some of the websites. For all intents and purposes it looks just like you booked the flight on Kayak.com or any other TA.

Did NCL give you a confirmation number that allowed you to go in and choose seats? 

10 hours ago, FromMN123 said:

We are wanting to do this next July 2023, however NCL is not allowing us even though they said they could.  We are running into so many issues and they are not willing to help us even though they were not clear in their "policies" and even though they said they could do 3 days.  Their hotels are completely booked so we had to find another hotel and now we can't get airfare into Rome 3 days before our cruise.

How were you able to secure 3 nights before your Wednesday cruise departure?

Thank you!

The only time I was told we could do 3 days instead of the normal 2 days was when we were headed to New Zealand. The flight on that alone takes nearly 3 days between the 20 hours in the air and crossing the dateline. The standard max is 2 days pre/post, so whoever told you 3 was in error.

For our upcoming trip next September I originally asked for 2 days, but when I got our receipt it said we would be arriving an extra day earlier than I wanted. I find it easier to just say what day you want to arrive in the country and let them work out the details of how much of a deviation it is.

In the before times, around day 60 you could check your edocs and see your record locator number. Now that you can't check in until 21 days, I'm honestly not sure how that info is relayed now. I'll find out in about 2 weeks as we're using NCL air to get to LAX in February. I don't recall ever being able to upgrade into business class, but it may be airline specific and also depend on the destinations.

• Like 1

just yesterday I requested a 3 day deviation to my cruise leaving from Reykjavik. I told them I wanted to arrive on 8/12 instead of 8/15. I was told I could only do a 3-day deviation if I booked their hotel which is $944/person. I told them a 2-day deviation was fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...