Big storm hitting Alaskan cruisers this Wednesday!

xlxo

Last season (Sept 2021) one of the Princess ships, I think the Majestic Princess overnighted at Pier 91 rather than head into a storm.  The ship left the next morning around 6 AM.  Other ships that were already enroute to various ports-of-call had to cancel their visits.

• Like 1

It's a frontal depression with trough of low pressure, not a mid-Lat cyclone.

Marine forecasts show 65 kt winds at the north end of Vancouver Island and 45 - 55 kt winds elsewhere. Not uncommon winds for this coast, but must admit, this late in May, the SE'ly's have most often been replaced with summer NW'ly's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Last season (Sept 2021) one of the Princess ships, I think the Majestic Princess overnighted at Pier 91 rather than head into a storm.  The ship left the next morning around 6 AM.  Other ships that were already enroute to various ports-of-call had to cancel their visits.

Still remember that one. Sure glad I'm retired and not still working the coast. That was one of the earliest storms I recall.

I seem to recall one of the Seattle ships had to run for refuge inside of Vancouver Island.

The other consideration is Hecate Strait is fairly shallow, especially the Queen Charlotte Island (QCI) side. We always encountered worse seas when crossing Hecate Strait from Prince Rupert to QCI.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I seem to recall one of the Seattle ships had to run for refuge inside of Vancouver Island.

Yes, it was the last Alaska sailing of the Millennium and I was on it.  Loved the bonus of being able to sail the inside passage - thanks to our Canadians friends for allowing the change in route as requested by our captain.

The much larger Ovation had to stick with its regular route sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It's a frontal depression with trough of low pressure, not a mid-Lat cyclone.

But that doesn't make a good headline, nor does it fit in with the press motto of

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woke up this morning in the Seattle area(the day of the above mentioned storm) to a very cold windy rainy day.  Hoping folks disembarking this morning the Carnival Spirit have their rain gear.  Same thoughts for those arriving to embark today's cruise.

https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam

http://www.elliottbaymarina.co/live/

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

17 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

It's been a pretty wild day here at our house today with all the wind.

Where do you live? We are currently on the Emerald and home is Ocean Shores. I love our storms there!