Charleston SC Questions

Hawkstar33

Never been here before. Arriving on Summit.  Any advice would be appreciated.  People say it's historic, good food, etc.  Suggestions.    Do we need to get a cab?  Is there stuff close by to do?   Walking distance, or a challenge for those of us who are a bit hampered?   Ty

Edited by Hawkstar33

From the cruise port, you can walk down Bay St. to the Battery and back up Meeting St.

Figure a mile from Union Pier down to the battery, a short walk west, and another mile or so north back to the dock.

You could eat your way down and back and spend a few weeks trying to do the round trip! 

Recommend you use TripAdvisor or similar to get a feel for the many opportunities in that area of town.

• Like 1

Downtown Charleston is pretty much a walking town.  Not wheelchair friendly.  If there are particular places you want to visit, you can use Uber or Lyft.  Both readily available.  A couple of restaurants I can recommend, SNOB (slightly north of broad), and Amen Street Fish & Raw bar.  

• Like 1

Been there twice, once by cruise and once driving.

I think it is a walking town, however I walk a lot.  In a city like Charleston if you don't walk you miss a lot.   There is a lot to see. 

Some of the historic houses offer tours, I think these can be booked in advance.  I would recommend at least one house tour.

I would do a general internet search for walking tours of Charleston.  You can do a self-guided one or there are tours that are led (either through the cruise ship or book your own.

People also take carriage rides.

The food is also very, very good (however I thought it was a little salty).  The restaurants do get busy, reservations are highly suggested and should be made well in advance. 

FYI, the NPS does a boat ride to Fort Sumter, I've done it.  Unless you are a really big fan of civil war era forts not sure it is worth it given you will probably have time constraints.  This can be booked in advance.

The historic city market is worth a walk through and near where the ships doc.  There is also a more upscale shopping street.

Also, nice to see is the pineapple fountain in the waterfront park.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Some of the historic houses offer tours, I think these can be booked in advance.  I would recommend at least one house tour.

Re the house tours, specifically down in the Battery area.

We moved South and often visit Charleston. I am one who recommends a group Horse Tour; there are 3 companies all located closed to the Marketplace. There are also van tours.

Someone asked about walking with disabilities.  I'm now using a Rollator/walker and the last time we were in the city I did OK. Strolling in the Marketplace is difficult as it gets crowded but it is doable.  From the pier they also had Pedi=cabs which could save some energy and time.

I like Hyman's Seafood Restaurant on Meeting Street. There may be more than one location.  Poogan's Porch is another favorite.  Check out some of the old hotels; Charleston Place is a new name but very nice lobby and bar and courtyard statue.

Do sightsee

• Like 1

We also frequently  do to charleston for the day....carriage tour is lovely.  Download a street map....if you are walkers start at the market bldgs on Market Street...there are 4 i think...the closed bld has bathrooms. Walk along the waterfront from around Queen Street (I think Street changes name as you cross Bay Street).  Walk along the French quarter. Look at the wonderful old houses. Look for the Painted Lady House's. We love to eat at 82 Queen. Also we love the mussels at 39 Rue de Jean ( by the Visitors Center?.lots to see there).  Charleston  Museum across from Visitor Center. Great Aquarium.  There is so much to see in the downtown  area