Cruise in April-is it a bad idea?

latebuyer

Some things (shops, excursions, etc) may not be open, so check on things you want to do first.  As you expected, while the glaciers will be "open" you may not be able to get as close as you like (of course a week or two would not make much difference).  

Generally that cruise would be the first to Alaska for the season, so the benefits are it is going to be cheaper and the ports won't be crowded, but the ports will not but fully up and running either.   April weather can often be less rainy but it will also be colder than it would be in the summer.    

Take a look at some of the reports from some of the ships that went at this time this year to give you an idea of what was and wasn't open.    I do note that for some lines these may have been the first sailing since restarting after the pandemic so may not be truly reflecting what a normal experience would be.  (thinking especially of the Celebrity Eclipse and its issues).

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

There is a good price for an alaskan cruise on april 23rd next year. Is that too early? I know i wouldn’t get as close to the glaciers, not sure what other problems.

In addition to the previous replies, it is very early for whale season, as they are just arriving, so less potential of seeing whales. Too early for salmon run, so you won't see them either at the Ketchikan Creek. Although our bears are out in Metro Vancouver, I doubt you will see many in Alaska that early. Therefore, less opportunities for seeing wildlife, which is one of the primary reasons for cruising Alaska.

As a pro, on clear days you will still have snow on the mountains, which makes for great photos. The ports will also not be crowded, but may have limited tour options available.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Its not just about the price, its about a vacation time that works due to a restrictive work schedule. I will definitely be checking on what excursions are available and that is good to know about the whales and wildlife. Last time i went it was september so it would be nice to see a different view. I will think about this though.

There are several good climate sites on the WEB where you can check to see  what the weather will be at that time.  Sine I would be interested in seeing AK and not doing shopping, the fact that the ports will be less overrun with tourists might be a plus for me.  

DON

Early - real early April and late real late October

OK factor in less crowds -

1) Meaning less opportunities for shore excursions because

the tour operators need volume to make it profitable.

2) Fewer shops open if any at all 

3) Seasonal help issues to keep those shops and excursions operating

4) A BIGGIE lack of transportation between points -

a huge one with Alaska RR going into or returning from its off season schedule -

WPYRR Skagway offering very limited options + covid restrictions from Canada

airline flights beginning/ending more frequent flights

limited cruise ships usually relocating to/from the Caribbean -

But that leads to some interesting ship positioning cruises +++

With all this one has to be real creative in setting up a cruise package !

Yet there will be no northwest passage getting locked into an ice field - global warming exception

Just the small ships of National Geographic Lindblad Explorer and the Alaska Maritime Ferry. 

AND then there is the ever changing weather and oh my gosh the diminishing sun light !

A blast if you can have most all of this for your near solo venture - of course you will have

to take lots of selfies - no one around to hold the camera and take your picture !  LOL !

Completed Pacific Coastal and continuation to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam the last week of April.  Lots of eagles, beautiful snow on the Skagway railroad excursion, very grateful Alaskans welcoming us, a few shops still closed, great airfare/cruise prices compared to regular season, and fewer passengers.  I strongly recommend April for an Alaska cruise and amazing photo opportunities.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/white-pass-yukon-railroad/P5190201.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

Completed Pacific Coastal and continuation to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam the last week of April.  Lots of eagles, beautiful snow on the Skagway railroad excursion, very grateful Alaskans welcoming us, a few shops still closed, great airfare/cruise prices compared to regular season, and fewer passengers.  I strongly recommend April for an Alaska cruise and amazing photo opportunities.

Thanks for your post and photo.  That would be an opportunity to see a "different Alaska" than what most see.