Positano/Amalfi Coast Excursions

CanuckCruisers

7 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

Our Oceania cruise in October docks in Salerno.  The internet is showing a ferry to Amalfi.  If it is running we will take it.

Ok, so you get to Amalfi and then what?  Amalfi is a small town that you can see in about an hour.  As to the "Amalfi Drive" which is mentioned in another post, the best part of that (in terms of scenery) are the parts on the other side of Amalfi (in the direction of Positano and Sorrento) so a ferry to Amalfi (from Salerno) is fine.  Once in Amalfi, assuming you have the time, you might want to consider taking the local bus from the square up to Ravello.  But that bus only runs about once an hour.  IMHO Ravello is a far more desirable place to visit than Amalfi.   Amalfi is a cute town, but relatively small and it lacks something!   We think the two jewels on the Amalfi coast are Positano and Ravello.  Others might disagree but so be it.

For what its worth, this is a part of Italy that is best enjoyed by either a very small group tour (no larger than a small van) or DIY with a rental car or by hiring a taxi (not always easy and never cheap).

• Like 5

Last time we visited Naples we used joe bananas for positano-sorrento-Pompeii and had lunch in a vineyard. Small group. Walked down into Positano too. Good tour although the lunch was not special, although enjoyed by most.

https://www.joebananalimos.net/cruise-port-tour/all-inclusive-pompeii-sorrento-and-positano

Am currently considering this company for a Messina tour this Summer but I see they offer Naples & Salerno too.

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/salerno-shore-excursions/

I could probably book a weekend in Rome from London for the prices Oceania charge for their tours. The prices are unreal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Last time we visited Naples we used joe bananas for positano-sorrento-Pompeii and had lunch in a vineyard. Small group. Walked down into Positano too. Good tour although the lunch was not special, although enjoyed by most.

https://www.joebananalimos.net/cruise-port-tour/all-inclusive-pompeii-sorrento-and-positano

Am currently considering this company for a Messina tour this Summer but I see they offer Naples & Salerno too.

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/salerno-shore-excursions/

I could probably book a weekend in Rome from London for the prices Oceania charge for their tours. The prices are unreal.

Thank you for this!  We have noticed Oceania tours are pretty costly.  Looking at the different tour companies outside of Oceania, they seem to offer more on their tours than Oceania . . Some of them anyway . . 

2 hours ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Thank you for this!  We have noticed Oceania tours are pretty costly.  Looking at the different tour companies outside of Oceania, they seem to offer more on their tours than Oceania . . Some of them anyway . . 

Roll Calls provide the opportunity for serious Travelers to experience tours at far lower costs than offered by the ships. Oceania preys on those that choose to use Mother Oceania for everything. 

A perfect example is when our Roll Call group, that paid $150 each for an all day tour, was joined on our tour with four fellow passengers that paid $350 each to Oceania for the tour. Those four, after lots of jokes and ridicule, did learn about CC and its Roll Calls that day! 😂

If course, there are those that claim never to pay retail and believe $350 -25%. Is less that $150! Oceania math! 🥴

On 6/2/2022 at 8:27 PM, pinotlover said:

Roll Calls provide the opportunity for serious Travelers to experience tours at far lower costs than offered by the ships. Oceania preys on those that choose to use Mother Oceania for everything. 

A perfect example is when our Roll Call group, that paid $150 each for an all day tour, was joined on our tour with four fellow passengers that paid $350 each to Oceania for the tour. Those four, after lots of jokes and ridicule, did learn about CC and its Roll Calls that day! 😂

If course, there are those that claim never to pay retail and believe $350 -25%. Is less that $150! Oceania math! 🥴

Thanks @pinotlover!  Our roll call for our date isn’t very active . . Maybe it will pick up closer to sailing date . . I’m learning about these private excursions and finding a lot of help from this board!  Seems the private tours do offer more than ship excursions and less cost as well as you’ve said . . So I’ll be checking alot of tour places that we can get in on . . 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, Hawaiidan said:

contact Carmine Foggia.......  he is they guy in Amalfi  who Rick Steves picked to show him.   If you view his ( Steves) shoe on Amalfi   your will see and hear.      I was on your August cruise and cancelled the dates your in...   ( moved to 2023)      for 4  the  tour with lunch included was  about $500.     cheaper than  tours by locals because I did him direct   so no comission  paid to Tours by locals.    

I am taking your (and Rick Steves) advice about this guy and planning on booking a tour with him. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I am taking your (and Rick Steves) advice about this guy and planning on booking a tour with him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy to see you taking my slot...   I am doing Carmine  in Sept 23...  Your welcome

On 5/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks.............for me too much hassle in Spain and Italy to give  me any enjoyment and spending 5 figures doing so !   

Sorry to have missed you.....I might have learned from you!   

Carmine is he guy................ try to avoid tours by locals ..    you will save 20-25%   Been traveling to Europe since 1976 .....  Friends in Italy, Switzerland, Austria, UK and France...............speaking French and German  helps  I find....  bone up  on some  basics..  english is spoken everywhere.... but the local lingo  connects you with people and get you a way better experience.      

Hawaiidan . . We just booked Carmine to take us through the Amalfi Coast!  Looks like a great tour!  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CanuckCruisers said:

Hawaiidan . . We just booked Carmine to take us through the Amalfi Coast!  Looks like a great tour!  Thanks for the suggestion!

your very welcome.......glad to know you got a good trip ahead....