Do you need to test onboard the Joy before being allowed to enter Bermuda?

SMK06437

We all know the rules have changed..we will test Friday before our Sunday embarkation....do they test now on board before we arrive to Bermuda? Or does that 1 test carry you through the week?

30 minutes ago, SMK06437 said:

We all know the rules have changed..we will test Friday before our Sunday embarkation....do they test now on board before we arrive to Bermuda? Or does that 1 test carry you through the week?

According to current rules it should be good enough...no additional testing.  But, based on "cases on the Joy" I have a feeling (just my opinion...not fact) that the rule will change.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

According to current rules it should be good enough...no additional testing.  But, based on "cases on the Joy" I have a feeling (just my opinion...not fact) that the rule will change.

Bermuda doesn't care if any passengers on a previous cruise tested positive.  They're just protecting their own population and as long as there's no spike in local cases attributable to contact with cruise ship passengers there's no reason for them to impose additional testing requirements.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Bermuda doesn't care if any passengers on a previous cruise tested positive.  They're just protecting their own population and as long as there's no spike in local cases attributable to contact with cruise ship passengers there's no reason for them to impose additional testing requirements.

But Bermuda does care if a boatload of "potential covid positive" passengers sails in.  Additional testing costs Bermuda $0....but adds a degree of safety to their citizens.

Someone who tests negative on Friday may be positive on Wednesday.  Although I am personally happy that they dropped the "testing on board" requirement....I think that decision....in light of the current surge....was pre-mature.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

But Bermuda does care if a boatload of "potential covid positive" passengers sails in.  Additional testing costs Bermuda $0....but adds a degree of safety to their citizens.

Someone who tests negative on Friday may be positive on Wednesday.  Although I am personally happy that they dropped the "testing on board" requirement....I think that decision....in light of the current surge....was pre-mature.

Why would Bermuda have the need for additional testing as opposed to any other destination in the world?  Every person cruising to anywhere is a "potential covid positive passenger". Some COVID cases on board ships are expected and planned for by the cruise lines. Probably most cruises have some number of COVID positive passengers at some time during the cruise.

Someone would have to pay for the testing, so that would put the burden on the cruise lines, and their response is likely to be "we're cruising elsewhere". Bermuda doesn't want that to happen because cruise tourism is an important part of their economy.

It almost sounds like you think, the title of the thread "Did anyone leave the Joy recently WITHOUT COVID?" has some foundation in fact or reality. 

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Why would Bermuda have the need for additional testing as opposed to any other destination in the world?  Every person cruising to anywhere is a "potential covid positive passenger". Some COVID cases on board ships are expected and planned for by the cruise lines. Probably most cruises have some number of COVID positive passengers at some time during the cruise.

Someone would have to pay for the testing, so that would put the burden on the cruise lines, and their response is likely to be "we're cruising elsewhere". Bermuda doesn't want that to happen because cruise tourism is an important part of their economy.

It almost sounds like you think, the title of the thread "Did anyone leave the Joy recently WITHOUT COVID?" has some foundation in fact or reality. 

Well .... obviously that other thread is an exaggeration ...but a lot of post-cruise covid has been reported from the Joy 

If I were having visitors come to my home now I'd want them to be tested.

I didn't say Bermuda had special needs.. but they've been more conservative than other destinations.  I was surprised they loosened up ...that's all.

Personally ...for me it's better with easier now ...but I don't feel as safe (especially because not all passengers need to be vaccinated).

I hate wearing masks ...but I'm bringing them with me for the 6/5 Bermuda cruise.  I didn't even think about masks during my Nov or Mar sailings.

10 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Well .... obviously that other thread is an exaggeration ...but a lot of post-cruise covid has been reported from the Joy 

I didn't say Bermuda had special needs.. but they've been more conservative than other destinations.  I was surprised they loosened up ...that's all.

Personally ...for me it's better with easier now ...but I don't feel as safe (especially because not all passengers need to be vaccinated).

I hate wearing masks ...but I'm bringing them with me for the 6/5 Bermuda cruise.  I didn't even think about masks during my Nov or Mar sailings.

Yes please wear your mask don’t make the mistake I did. I had a false sense of security and did not wear a mask on my recent Joy cruise and ended up getting Covid as did my husband and my daughter. We cruised on the Gem at Thanksgiving and we wore our masks and nobody in our party got Covid. Granted we were in the Garden Villa but we were out and about around the ship as well. 

As I said in another thread I’m not blaming anyone it’s the chance we take when we cruise and I took an even bigger chance by not wearing a mask. I learned my lesson it’s not 2018. Lol. Go on your cruise and have a wonderful time but definitely wear your mask!! 

12 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Question? What do you mean not all passengers need to be vaccinated? I thought we couldn't cruise unless we had our vax cards.

Thanks

12 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Hi Ms Kats,

Regarding the Bermuda Travel Authorization….Does each adult have to submit a separate application? So, for a party of 2, each person up loads vaccine card and pays 40$. I’m trying to understand if it’s 2 completely separate transactions. I do get the new requirement of bringing negative test to pier, no uploading.

Thanks,

Dr B

30 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Question? What do you mean not all passengers need to be vaccinated? I thought we couldn't cruise unless we had our vax cards.

Thanks

Children under the age of 12 don't have to be vaccinated to cruise on NCL, but those ages 2 to 11 are subject to additional testing requirements.

2 minutes ago, drbeamer said:

Hi Ms Kats,

Regarding the Bermuda Travel Authorization….Does each adult have to submit a separate application? So, for a party of 2, each person up loads vaccine card and pays 40$. I’m trying to understand if it’s 2 completely separate transactions. I do get the new requirement of bringing negative test to pier, no uploading.

Thanks,

Dr B

I'm not Ms Kats, but it is a separate application and $40 fee for each person.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not Ms Kats, but it is a separate application and $40 fee for each person.

Ha ha! Thanks@njhoreseman. So each application is unrelated….you must wait for 2 approval email notifications…..ugh.  Got it. 

BTW, thanks for all the info that you post. It’s helpful.

Dr B

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

Non vaccinated children traveling with parents for one.  Not sure, but they may be allowing adults with medical waivers.  This according to a passenger who disembarked last week...who heard it from an employee!

Edited by MsTabbyKats

10 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Non vaccinated children traveling with parents for one.  Not sure, but they may be allowing adults with medical waivers.  This according to a passenger who disembarked last week...who heard it from an employee!

NCL doesn't permit medical waivers in lieu of vaccination. 

Just now, njhorseman said:

NCL doesn't permit medical waivers in lieu of vaccination. 

That's what I thought....but someone who disembarked last week said an employee (I think someone in guest services) told her that they were now allowing "everyone".  Things change......who knows?

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That's what I thought....but someone who disembarked last week said an employee (I think someone in guest services) told her that they were now allowing "everyone".  Things change......who knows?

I. believe the reference to "allowing everyone" meant there were no longer any capacity restrictions.. 

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Incorrect.

Bermuda does have very specific testing requirements that are different to any other destination in the world. So, before making broad, unsubstantiated statements like this, take the time to understand what the real requirements are. And yes, onboard testing of all passengers on the ship would be at the expense of the cruise line to comply with the rules of that port of call. 

Where Bermuda is not the first port of call, or if the ship takes longer than 5 days to arrive in Bermuda, all guests, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take an additional antigen test onboard no more than 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda. This test will be paid for and administered by our onboard medical team.

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

Bermuda does have very specific testing requirements that are different to any other destination in the world. So, before making broad, unsubstantiated statements like this, take the time to understand what the real requirements are. And yes, onboard testing of all passengers on the ship would be at the expense of the cruise line to comply with the rules of that port of call. 

Where Bermuda is not the first port of call, or if the ship takes longer than 5 days to arrive in Bermuda, all guests, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take an additional antigen test onboard no more than 2 days prior to disembarking in Bermuda. This test will be paid for and administered by our onboard medical team.

I am fully aware of Bermuda's requirements.  You're ignoring the context of the post to which I was replying. The poster was not referring to the exceptional requirement imposed when  a ship arrives  in Bermuda more than four days after embarkation but rather to Bermuda's normal requirements.  Perhaps you've forgotten that last year Bermuda required all passengers to have an additional taken before arrival, but that requirement was eliminated this year.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I am fully aware of Bermuda's requirements.  You're ignoring the context of the post to which I was replying. The poster was not referring to the exceptional requirement imposed when  a ship arrives  in Bermuda more than four days after embarkation but rather to Bermuda's normal requirements.  Perhaps you've forgotten that last year Bermuda required all passengers to have an additional taken before arrival, but that requirement was eliminated this year.

nope. I sailed to Bermuda last year and will sail again this year. The context of your post was very clear, asserting that Bermuda is no different that anywhere else in the world and trying to make people feel bad about asking the question.... unfortunately, your post was incorrect because Bermuda is different. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I. believe the reference to "allowing everyone" meant there were no longer any capacity restrictions.. 

It was me, and this is correct. The head of the Cruise Next desk told me at the Latitude party. He knew I'd already purchased some Future Cruise certs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

nope. I sailed to Bermuda last year and will sail again this year. The context of your post was very clear, asserting that Bermuda is no different that anywhere else in the world and trying to make people feel bad about asking the question.... unfortunately, your post was incorrect because Bermuda is different. 

Again, you have no understanding of the context.

Also Bermuda is not unique. Canada's requirements and procedures are substantively identical to Bermuda's . You make application to the government prior to your cruise, receive approval, and present that approval plus your negative COVID test results to the cruise line for verification on embarkation. the biggest difference is that Bermuda has the audacity to charge you $40 per person for the application.

You also are wrong because Bermuda's testing requirements other than in the unique circumstances when you are to arrive in Bermuda more than 4 days after embarkation are not substantively different than the testing requirements every cruise line already has in place for travel anywhere. Bermuda is just layering unnecessary bureaucracy onto the process because it has decided it needs to pump up its revenue stream by charging $40 per person to review and approve information you already have to provide to your cruise line. The government has actually admitted that the revenue need is what is really driving the process, not public health . 

Read this article. https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220525/government-cannot-afford-to-drop-ta-form-senate-told/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Again, you have no understanding of the context.

Also Bermuda is not unique. Canada's requirements and procedures are substantively identical to Bermuda's . You make application to the government prior to your cruise, receive approval, and present that approval plus your negative COVID test results to the cruise line for verification on embarkation. the biggest difference is that Bermuda has the audacity to charge you $40 per person for the application.

You also are wrong because Bermuda's testing requirements other than in the unique circumstances when you are to arrive in Bermuda more than 4 days after embarkation are not substantively different than the testing requirements every cruise line already has in place for travel anywhere. Bermuda is just layering unnecessary bureaucracy onto the process because it has decided it needs to pump up its revenue stream by charging $40 per person to review and approve information you already have to provide to your cruise line. The government has actually admitted that the revenue need is what is really driving the process, not public health . 

Read this article. https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220525/government-cannot-afford-to-drop-ta-form-senate-told/

And the ironic thing is very few people are wearing masks on the island both in restaurants and in shops the only place we were forced to wear a mask was actually in the cruise terminal.  So I agree that the BTA approval is all about the $. I can tell you that not even the employees at snorkel Bay or the frog and onion were wearing masks. Maybe Bermuda owes ME $40. Lol

• Haha 2

$4 to $5 million bonus annual revenue for BDA government isn't something for them to sneeze at, at their convenience, at our expense.  #cough #cough (punting, intended.)  They have no intentions of getting rid of the fees until 2023, despite opposition by local businesses hurting, citing negative influence to visitors & tourists alike  ... of course, it was $75 p/p earlier, should be "thankful"  Cheers, I think not. 

The other venue where masking was enforced, onboard Bermuda's Fast Ferry ... sadly, not once onboard the NCL (free for passengers) Spirit of St. George ferry/shuttle - another reason to sit/go upstairs, more comfortable, air conditioned & wasn't crowded, and 110v outlets to quickly recharge our smartphones & iphones (yay for "free" T-Mobile 4G roaming on the islands.)  

P.S.  Cruise passengers that obtained the BDA TA should receive a post-cruise survey for feedback from their Tourism Authority as a follow-up, do fill out and tell them your honest opinion and what you think of the experience, and, for us - the head tax collected and the unnecessary bureaucratic mess & toll-free long distance calling on hold, etc.  IMHO, expressing our dissatisfaction.  

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Our TA had told us we couldn't sail with our grandson last year when cruising started so we booked for this spring as our grandson wasn't vaccinated. That one was cancelled by us due to illness so we rebooked for next spring. Again in large print she notified us All Passengers Are Required to Be Vaccinated?

Just confused but we are all set, we hope!