Azamara excursions credit

The Salties

OBC given for excursion? I'm pretty sure it said OBC ... It might have said it can be used for excursions, but fairly sure it didn't stipulate. I've got $1200 to spend.... I've used about $500 on excursions, so thought I had money to burn. Maybe not then!

1 hour ago, The Salties said:

Yes I am trying to find out for definite as have been told that also but not confirmed by anyone.

When I booked I was specifically told we could spend how we saw fit. At the time, we were going to pay to upgrade drinks but was told it's no problem to do it onboard but couldn't use the credit until we were on the ship.

Strange also, as excursions booked have been converted to £ despite the credit being in $ and costs shown also in $. No doubt in a real poor exchange rate.

I can't currently access anything on azamara which shows the credit. Indeed my receipt just calls in on board credit.

I will be more than marked if goal posts have been moved.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

When I booked I was specifically told we could spend how we saw fit. At the time, we were going to pay to upgrade drinks but was told it's no problem to do it onboard but couldn't use the credit until we were on the ship.

Strange also, as excursions booked have been converted to £ despite the credit being in $ and costs shown also in $. No doubt in a real poor exchange rate.

I can't currently access anything on azamara which shows the credit. Indeed my receipt just calls in on board credit.

I will be more than marked if goal posts have been moved.

Your digital account via Azamara website should show how much OBC you have left.

• Thanks 1

When I booked last week, Barbie in reservations whom is always amazing did say there had been confirmation that the Shore Ex credit would convert to OBC onboard. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Salties said:

If you do not spend all the credit given for excursions as distinct from on board credit.  Can you use any not used for purchases on board? Thank you

No offence to anyone else who has replied that it will revert to OBC if not used for excursions as I was told the opposite by Azamara! Also when I log into my account for our cruise around southern Australia the OBC that was previously showing as $US before we switched to this new deal with $1000 credit now shows converted to Australian dollars as all the excursions are listed in that currency with a note that the exchange rate is locked in for the full amount once you book your first excursion up until then it will fluctuate.

Maybe check you account to see what currency shows, especially if it’s in area excursions are priced in the local currency, if it’s still in $US maybe can use for anything if not its maybe excursion only??? Just a guess...

Edited by Hammer61

3 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

No offence to anyone else who has replied that it will revert to OBC if not used for excursions as I was told the opposite by Azamara! Also when I log into my account for our cruise around southern Australia the OBC that was previously showing as $US before we switched to this new deal with $1000 credit now shows converted to Australian dollars as all the excursions are listed in that currency with a note that the exchange rate is locked in for the full amount once you book your first excursion up until then it will fluctuate.

Maybe check you account to see what currency shows, especially if it’s in area excursions are priced in the local currency, if it’s still in $US maybe can use for anything if not its maybe excursion only??? Just a guess...

My UK Azamara account has always shown any OBC in British Pounds, whether or not it was ordinary OBC or specifically for excursions

13 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Your digital account via Azamara website should show how much OBC you have left.

I've searched and cannot find. Maybe the "mobile' site is different. I will recheck on a laptop. Will shout for pointers if I still can't see.

9 hours ago, RW75 said:

When I booked last week, Barbie in reservations whom is always amazing did say there had been confirmation that the Shore Ex credit would convert to OBC onboard. 

Ok that's a relief. I've booked 3 and genuinely no others of interest, so left over was going to used on whatever takes my fancy. I'm fairly sure when I booked, the offer was OBC. Now it does show as excursion credit. My momory may be wrong, but not my recollection of my conversation with the booking agent who said it could be used to upgrade drinks, bookings in the spa or shop purchase certainly wasn't.

6 more sleeps until sailing. Still no luggage labels or details of upgrade bid. I suspect it's a close run thing and still hoping for more bookings. I know it's sold well,which is a suprise as it's a repositioning cruise really.

3 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

My UK Azamara account has always shown any OBC in British Pounds, whether or not it was ordinary OBC or specifically for excursions

Yes, my bookings were shown in £. I hope it was locked at the rate it was when booked and not the current exchange rates! Seems odd to convert given the OBC is US$ and pricing on the ship is US$. Not sure what logic there is in converting!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, les37b said:

I've searched and cannot find. Maybe the "mobile' site is different. I will recheck on a laptop. Will shout for pointers if I still can't see.

4A979986-70A4-4EF3-89D1-D29805DA1596.png

it’s in your Voyage Planner - top of page.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Our first Azamara cruise, just something i noticed when we switched to the new Excursion credit offer and the fact the agent was very clear what it could be used for.

But each region does seem to have different booking rules, maybe for Australia it is different again to the UK, USA and Canada after all dont have any restrictions on how they use this $1000 offer, its just OBC. 

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

4A979986-70A4-4EF3-89D1-D29805DA1596.png

it’s in your Voyage Planner - top of page.

It was there on mine..... And is visible on phone. You have to view landscape to see it 

Thanks again...

IMG_20220531_101401.jpg.6cb6dc994bf443f347655cb8ef231fa7.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Yes, my bookings were shown in £. I hope it was locked at the rate it was when booked and not the current exchange rates! Seems odd to convert given the OBC is US$ and pricing on the ship is US$. Not sure what logic there is in converting!

The exchange rate fluctuates daily but is locked in when you first book a tour. It stays at that rate until you board and is then converted back to $US on board.

This is the email we received  the day before boarding, listing our original obc, what we had spent prior to boarding  and the balance then converted to $US. This was then available  to see on our account on the cabin  tv. I’m not sure if any of us come out ahead in this scenario but thats the way it works! 

AB733365-D9CB-4722-808A-A71D62E59528.jpeg

25 minutes ago, combine said:

The exchange rate fluctuates daily but is locked in when you first book a tour. It stays at that rate until you board and is then converted back to $US on board.

This is the email we received  the day before boarding, listing our original obc, what we had spent prior to boarding  and the balance then converted to $US. This was then available  to see on our account on the cabin  tv. I’m not sure if any of us come out ahead in this scenario but thats the way it works! 

Interesting, the mid-market rate ("not available to consumers") was about one-half percent difference that day --  credit cards charge 3% and cash rates are 5-6%, so this rate is quite good.

I think this is normal operating procedure in global companies: local subsidiaries handle transactions in local currency under local laws, and monetary exchanges between the two are done with their preferred currency, in this case USD.

In this case, the parent issues an OBC credit in USD. If you choose to spend it online, the full credit gets converted and put on the subsidiary's account, your purchases are deducted, then any balance is transferred back to the parent for use on the cruise. 

In short, nothing to see here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, combine said:

I wished I could understand the logic in converting anything. Its price in US$ the OBC is US$, why complicate things? Mine is locked at a worse rate than yours, but not by much.

obc.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, les37b said:

I wished I could understand the logic in converting anything. Its price in US$ the OBC is US$, why complicate things? Mine is locked at a worse rate than yours, but not by much.

obc.png

I suspect you should be complaining to your local government about about "over-regulation" (or the other side of that coin, praising local consumer protection laws). 

For instance, "California requires all sellers of travel to register with the Attorney General's Office and to display the registration number on all advertising."

Whose laws do you think should govern the sale? Your local laws? California? Montana? Malta? China? 

Edited by eclipst

4 hours ago, eclipst said:

I suspect you should be complaining to your local government about about "over-regulation" (or the other side of that coin, praising local consumer protection laws). 

For instance, "California requires all sellers of travel to register with the Attorney General's Office and to display the registration number on all advertising."

Whose laws do you think should govern the sale? Your local laws? California? Montana? Malta? China? 

I don't think this decision is government led but a choice by Azamara. No cruise I've ever done has used this method. It's always just been US$ and that includes 5 in the past 9 months.

Do you know of any other CL that does this?

4 hours ago, eclipst said:

I am certainly NOT looking for an argument ...but...you were replying to les37b...and I have to say that I agree with him.  

We too are in the UK and we too were  given $1000 OBC , everything onboard is priced in $US, why not give us the balance in $US...its not like they are going to give is £££££ at the end of the cruise if we haven't spent the whole amount.

We haven't sailed yet and are looking forward to our 11th Azamara experience in July.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, les37b said:

I don't think this decision is government led but a choice by Azamara. No cruise I've ever done has used this method. It's always just been US$ and that includes 5 in the past 9 months.

Do you know of any other CL that does this?

Celebrity and I think Royal Caribbean do this. 

1 hour ago, barneyboy said:

Celebrity and I think Royal Caribbean do this. 

So it's a corporate thing then. Certainly not government legislation as was suggested. I suspect the other lines owned by Royal Caribbean has the same. I know 100% Silversea don't (and appreciate Azamara is no longer owned by RCI, but is still joined at the hip on many things.)

Still think it a bit odd, but no Biggie. Just prefer not to make random calculations to know what I've spent and have left if I buy something priced in a different currency.... Though it was once the same currency in my piggy bank! Confused dot com.

OBC has always shown as US$ on our reservations.

I found out a long time ago that "My Azamara" shows my OBC in AU$.

I also found out a long time ago that the exchange rate is locked in at the time of the first pre-boarding Shore Excursion booking, so I keep a close eye on exchange rates to (hopefully) get the best deal possible. 🙃

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

OBC has always shown as US$ on our reservations.

I found out a long time ago that "My Azamara" shows my OBC in AU$.

I also found out a long time ago that the exchange rate is locked in at the time of the first pre-boarding Shore Excursion booking, so I keep a close eye on exchange rates to (hopefully) get the best deal possible. 🙃

The £ has devalued since my lock in. (Oil price related I think). So my $ would have bought more £ now. I'm unconvinced I'm better or worse off. l still think it's a dumb idea though and US$ price has been static, just like my OBC amount.

Basically unless US$ is your currency, everyone not using it is paying a different amount for the same trips. No logic at all. My $1000 is worth more on board (or less) than "yours". Currency fluctuations shouldn't even come into it,  period.

I can only assume the lock in at the time, also locks in your account for purchases once OBC is used up and that unfavourable rate (instead on my no currency charge CC giving me the best rate possible.)