Flying from US to Italy (masks)

Kymberlyfarr

Just wanting to make sure I understand the protocol for our upcoming Delta flights. We fly out of Atlanta to FCO next week and then back after our cruise on the Odyssey. It is my understanding we have to wear masks on our flight there but not on the way back. Is this correct? 

Ask the airline, they are the ones who decide what the rules are on their plane.

Note, however, that the US government sets the rules for testing prior to return, so if you test positive the airline can't help you.

Wearing a mask might help you avoid a long quarantine in Italy at the end of your vacation.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

@euro cruiser thanks for the reply. Fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it LoL) we had Covid a little over a month ago and aren’t as worried about catching it… the next few months anyway. We are flying Delta but I thought it was a rule of the Italian government since it is considered “public transportation.”  

Rules keep changing - last change in Italy was May 1 when they dropped the need for proof of vaccination to do indoor things (restaurants, etc) and made masks mandatory only on public transportation of all types.  

When we were in Zurich last week waiting for a flight we heard an announcement at the next gate saying masks were required for boarding and during the flight as it was going to Italy.  However, If/how the masks on transportation rule applies to an American airline leaving Italy is a good question.   The airline will be the best source of this information.

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Ask the airline, they are the ones who decide what the rules are on their plane.

Actually it´s not the airline... It´s the country... Here in Germany the mask mandate in public transportation is still on and includes flights. Therefore on all flights from/to Germany you need to wear a mask. Until recently Lufthansa did enforce this but decided that due to conflicts between passengers and flight attendants the staff now does not have to enforce it anymore.

steamboats

Yes, that's what I meant about the airline, they're the ones who enforce it.

For years I would see passengers on planes wearing masks (always Asian passengers, as I recall) and thought to myself that it was odd/paranoid.

Now I'm thinking that they had the key all along.  It's such a minor inconvenience and if it means preventing an illness during my travels, I can do that.  Who wants even a common cold during vacation?

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Italy skips all Covid-19 regulations by tomorrow. So you don´t need a proof of vaccination anymore (or a test or a certificate of recovery) for traveling to Italy.

But they keep the FFP2/KN95 mask obligation for public transportation (the article did not mention whether flights are regarded as public transportation like they are here in Germany).

steamboats

13 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

steamboats..do you mean that as of June 1st the regulations traveling to Italy will change again??

Yes, they are dropped... except for the masks in public transportation which includes flights (according to my latest information).

steamboats

9 hours ago, steamboats said:

Yes, they are dropped... except for the masks in public transportation which includes flights (according to my latest information).

steamboats

Yes, that is what I read last night. And you have to wear a mask on the aircraft going into Italy, at least right now.

12 hours ago, marazul said:

In Rome now. Masks are still required in taxis, private transfers, buses, etc.

They were not required on the plane, but we and many more wore them. 

Thanks for the update marazul. 

My husband and I have worked out masks we are comfortable wearing that are also high grade. We will wear them on the flights, at the airport and in other crowded situations. We wear them because 1) Singapore and Australia still require them at airports and 2) I want to reduce our risk of flying all the way to Rome and testing positive before boarding the ship. This is even if the mask requirements change in Italy.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back last week and flew TAP Air Portugal. We still had to wear masks on the flight to Italy as well as the flight back. But we didn't use KN95 masks on the return flight. We just used our regular masks.