We're toying with the idea of doing our first transatlantic after 39 cruises and counting. We want to do it this October.

We would prefer to take one that leaves from Southampton or Barcelona. This way we can take a nonstop flight from Miami or Orlando and not have to change planes.

We would love one that will stop in Madeira and Bermuda and end in Florida.

My husband gets motion sickness in storms, are they a hit and miss or is it more common in October?

Can you share your experience on a transatlantic?

Thank you for your help!

Have done 2 TA - last one in April on the Reflection (east bound).

Love the sea days and we had just one day of rainy weather out of 15.

No one can predict what Mother Nature has in store but I would do this again in a heart beat - actually, once the 2024 west bound schedule comes out, I'll be booking.

Good luck and have fun

4 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

We're toying with the idea of doing our first transatlantic after 39 cruises and counting. We want to do it this October.

We would prefer to take one that leaves from Southampton or Barcelona. This way we can take a nonstop flight from Miami or Orlando and not have to change planes.

My husband gets motion sickness in storms, are they a hit and miss or is it more common in October?

Thank you for your help!

With DH having motion sickness and a choice of Barcelona or Southampton, I would opt for Barcelona. Southampton departures cross the Bay of Biscay, which can be snotty at any time of year.

Weather - generally it can't be predicted, but most W'bd TA's take a more southerly route to avoid bucking the Gulf Stream, which avoids the N/Atlantic storms. This increases the chance of warmer weather and less wind. On clearing Gibraltar, you will follow the NE Trade winds, which usually are little more than 20 kts and are from astern, so little wind over the decks.

Lots of TA's stop at Funchal, but not aware of too many westbound TA's stopping at Bermuda. I would expect Southampton ships are more likely to stop at Bermuda than Barcelona ships.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

Thank you for your help!

Celebrity Silhouette sails from Southampton on October 20th…calling at Funchal, Tenerife and Bermuda.  You should have no problems with seasickness.  It is true that crossing the Bay of Biscay can be rough but that should not last longer than 12 hours.  In the event of rough seas take a Bonine and go to bed then wake up in smooth seas feeling good and feeling hungry!   A little threat of seasickness shouldn’t stop you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely loved transatlantic in fall of 2018! Gaining a extra hour sleep 💤 like every other day. Pick a bigger ship with tons of activity, enjoy.

We’re thinking about going soon but Covid-19’s scary and people tested in Europe have been quarantined and miss the ship too!

Trip insurance good one needed!

Recently got Covid-19 onboard from Bermuda cruise wife’s sick first and now me.

Makes me think about consequences in Europe?

Thank you for all the feedback. I see that the post was moved. I don't even know where to go to find this section! I just clicked on the notice that someone replied and it got me here. 🙂

A lot to think about. We may just sit back and wait to see what mother nature is going to do this year. Sometimes by September we can tell if it's going to be an active year of hurricanes. But then again I like the post that there was a hurricane going on and they didn't even feel it. 

We have cruised through the Bay of Biscay and it was not bad at all, but we have seen some videos that make you want to avoid it.

We considered Cunard QM2, but we want to return to Florida on the ship and not deal with flying home.

Thank you for your help!

14 hours ago, Joesantos said:

Absolutely loved transatlantic in fall of 2018! Gaining a extra hour sleep 💤 like every other day. Pick a bigger ship with tons of activity, enjoy.

We’re thinking about going soon but Covid-19’s scary and people tested in Europe have been quarantined and miss the ship too!

Trip insurance good one needed!

Recently got Covid-19 onboard from Bermuda cruise wife’s sick first and now me.

Makes me think about consequences in Europe?

Yes, it will be quite a problem to get stuck in Europe in a hotel waiting days/week to test negative to be able to return. Not to mention the worst part of having to seek medical care over there for complications. That's why we're thinking of a transatlantic to just go, get on the ship and return.  Another option we're considering this year is to travel in the US by land. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, TheOldBear said:

Another crossing to consider is Cunard's QM2 sailing M233B 18-25 October, from Southampton to Brooklyn.

Currently the Cunard USA website shows availability for Inside and Balcony rooms [Oceanview and the "Grills" suites are sold out]

Keep in mind that there are not ports and the QM2 normally follows a Northern circle route which often takes the ship into cooler weather.  They might even follow a course similar to the Titanic :).  The now retired Commodore has some fun on one of our crossings doing comparisons to the Titantic.

Hank

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, travellovers2 said:

Thank you for your help!

Our specialty are Transatlantics. We started cruising in 2009 and we love them. We have done Eastbound and Westbound, Westbound being our favorite. In all our years we have only had one scary experience and that was in 2010, Venice to New York, a 40 foot rogue wave hit the ship andI myself got hurt, had to wear a sling on my arm for a month and then do physical therapy, the transatlantic trip itself was great it was going into New York ( 2 days before we were meant to arrive) that it got rough. Westbounds going into Florida are a lot better. That cruise in 2010 was Nov-beginning of December. The rest of our transatlantics have been smooth sailing, in fact, like crossing a lake. We don't get sea sick so is no bother to us if it gets a little bumpy. We will continue to do Transatlantics as long as we are able, we love the sea days, very relaxing.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 4