UDP on Oasis

Does anyone know if the unlimited dining package will be more money or less money if we wait until we are onboard to book? Has anyone done it? We will be on the Oasis.  Will there be enough of included restaurant to chose from for the 7 nights we are onboard. 

Any info is appreciated. 

Thanks

10 minutes ago, cruiseforus said:

Does anyone know if the unlimited dining package will be more money or less money if we wait until we are onboard to book? Has anyone done it? We will be on the Oasis.  Will there be enough of included restaurant to chose from for the 7 nights we are onboard. 

Any info is appreciated. 

Thanks

The UDP will almost certainly be more $$ onboard.  We have gotten the UDP many times on an O class ship and always found it to be worth the cost.

• Like 1

The UDP is definitely worth it in my opinion. I have been on 5 cruises so far this year and did not eat in the MDR on any cruise. I think the food in the MDR is fine, but find the food in speciality restaurants is significantly better. Keep in mind food quality is very subjective when reading posts, including this one. 

It would almost certainly be cheaper to purchase pre cruise.

I think the UDP is only worth it on Oasis class ships.

We’ve however only done it on one occasion and really found it to much food and perhaps wasted to much time using it.

We are now happy with the three night dining package.

We have a nine day Oasis cruise in August and are in a Suite.   We booked the UDP for the cruise.  We really enjoy dinner nightly at the specialty restaurants nightly and a few lunches.  

The suite restaurant , costal kitchen fine for breakfast- but we prefer the SP restaurants for dinner and most lunches..

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Would we be able to have lunch in a specialty restaurant the day we board the ship? I know it says lunch on sea days, but I don’t know what embarkation day is actually considered?  It would be great to have a nice quiet lunch that day.  

1 hour ago, cruiseforus said:

Would we be able to have lunch in a specialty restaurant the day we board the ship? I know it says lunch on sea days, but I don’t know what embarkation day is actually considered?  It would be great to have a nice quiet lunch that day.  

Yes, there is usually at least one specialty restaurant open on embarkation day.  If the restaurant is open and able to accommodate you, you can eat there !  This is one of the nicest things about having the UDP - quiet, calm lunch on embarkation day !

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Yes, there is usually at least one specialty restaurant open on embarkation day.  If the restaurant is open and able to accommodate you, you can eat there !  This is one of the nicest things about having the UDP - quiet, calm lunch on embarkation day !

Must make ressie as soon as on the ship for embarkation lunch

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Deb1953 said:

There really won’t be any need to make a reservation as the restaurant will be probably be open and ready to serve you.

Jamies is normally open on embarkation day.

2 hours ago, Deb1953 said:

Maybe not for embarcation day lunch, but it is a great idea to head to the kiosk or sign up for reservations for all your dinners on the cruise.  You can change later but at least you have the places you want to try booked for the time and day you want to eat there.  The app is your friend in checking menus and dining times as well as making changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I love reading all of your tips.  We have the UDP for the first time on our upcoming October Oasis cruise.  Does anyone know if we'd like to have lobster on the second formal night (i'm guessing that's when it will be), do we have to go sit in the MDR or can we get a few tails to go?  I also read once that someone said you could eat in a specialty restaurant but ask them for the MDR lobster tail (on the specific night MDR is serving it) and they'd bring it to you at the specialty restaurant so you could have it there in addition to what you were eating at the restaurant.  I'm not saying that person was lying but maybe that's more of a fluke and not something that usually happens?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Cruisin Around said:

I love reading all of your tips.  We have the UDP for the first time on our upcoming October Oasis cruise.  Does anyone know if we'd like to have lobster on the second formal night (i'm guessing that's when it will be), do we have to go sit in the MDR or can we get a few tails to go?  I also read once that someone said you could eat in a specialty restaurant but ask them for the MDR lobster tail (on the specific night MDR is serving it) and they'd bring it to you at the specialty restaurant so you could have it there in addition to what you were eating at the restaurant.  I'm not saying that person was lying but maybe that's more of a fluke and not something that usually happens?  Thanks!

We usually make reservations for Chops on the second formal night and have never had them turn down my request for a couple of the lobster tails. 

• Like 2

Is it only Chips or can you ask for the lobster tails at any speciality restaurant. I think we were planning for Giovanni’s the 2nd formal night. Just wondering if they will get them for us also or should we change to Chops. 

also, looking at the menus from the speciality restaurants none of them look like they have any no sugar added deserts. Can they also get them from the main dining room?

thanks. 

24 minutes ago, cruiseforus said:

Is it only Chips or can you ask for the lobster tails at any speciality restaurant. I think we were planning for Giovanni’s the 2nd formal night. Just wondering if they will get them for us also or should we change to Chops. 

also, looking at the menus from the speciality restaurants none of them look like they have any no sugar added deserts. Can they also get them from the main dining room?

thanks. 

I'm prettuy sure that you would have no issues with the lobster at Giovannis.  As for the desserts, we have had desserts from the MDR brought to the restaurant for us.  My wife has a dairy allergy do we always request something not on the menu and my Don gets the key lime pie