New to Cunard

KarmaElectra

Hello!  First time on Cunard, and I have a few questions that I can't find the answers for.

*What are the included toiletries?  Shampoo and conditioner?  Shampoo only?  2-in-1?  (QE, Britannia Balcony, if it makes a difference)

*Do you need to dress for afternoon tea?

*Can you get coffee and lemonade/iced tea in the buffet throughout the day, or is it better to get the coffee and/or soft drink package?

*What are the approximate opening times for pool and hot tubs?

If anyone can assist, it will be appreciated.  🙂

6 hours ago, KarmaElectra said:

Hello!  First time on Cunard, and I have a few questions that I can't find the answers for.

*What are the included toiletries?  Shampoo and conditioner?  Shampoo only?  2-in-1?  (QE, Britannia Balcony, if it makes a difference)

*Can you get coffee and lemonade/iced tea in the buffet throughout the day, or is it better to get the coffee and/or soft drink package?

not sure about the toiletries but advice on here has been to ask your steward for anything you need 

no need to "dress up" for afternoon tea, though of course you can if you want!

coffee and tea and water and (I think) some sort of other cold drink in the Liso buffet all the time. We are getting the premium soft drinks package as I like different coffees, flavoured tonics, mocktails etc. I don't like cola or other soda fountain type drinks but I love flavoured San Pellegrino, ginger beer etc so I did the maths and that worked out the best for us. 

Don't know about the pools/hot tubs, sorry. 

1. Liquid soap, shampoo, and shower gel are there in reusable containers. Other things like conditioner, bar soap, cotton wool they will bring if you ask for. This is supposed to be for environmental reasons, but undoubtedly has the beneficial side effect of saving money.

2. You don't need to dress up for tea, but you would need to put something over your swim wear. 

3. I have seen people in the pool at  8 am and 7.30 pm. Whether there are official opening and closing times and what they are I don't know.

Thanks so much...that helps!   🙂

(I need separate shampoo and conditioner...good to know I can ask for it.  But since it's not in the room, I think I'll bring a small travel sized conditioner just in case.)

14 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Shampoo is separate from conditioner; And all the toiletries are replaced by your room steward as you get low, no need to take them ; afternoon tea is sort-of dress up (that is:  I've never seen anyone in jeans a/o t-shirts; The hot tubs open/close times may depend on where your cruise is going; they are pretty much open all day, but it may be chilly on an Alaska cruise but lovely elsewhere.  Enjoy.

On 6/4/2022 at 2:52 AM, KarmaElectra said:

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure you will have to dress for afternoon tea. I remember staff looking askance at me when I turned up naked.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Red Ray said:

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure you will have to dress for afternoon tea. I remember staff looking askance at me when I turned up naked.

Yes I think you're right - clothes are required - and no wet swimsuits either!  Our cruise on QE was tropical weather and my normal daytime wear is shorts and a singlet - but I   must admit the beauty of the ship made me put on a skirt from time-to-time. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, KarmaElectra said:

Define "coffee" - if you like barista coffee - then its free with dinner but otherwise about $4.50++ so you may want to consider a package for that.  There is also  machine coffee in the Lido available almost all the time, and your cabin will have instant coffee and tea bags.  I found the instant coffee rubbish - and next time will probably bring some coffee bags with me.  

We were on  a tropical cruise and the pool seemed to be open when  I wanted it to be so say around 6am-10pm? The hot pools were the same time.  Once they had to empty the rear pool because a helicopter landed for an evac 

16 hours ago, lissie said:

your cabin will have instant coffee and tea bags.  I found the instant coffee rubbish - and next time will probably bring some coffee bags with me.  

Hi, I forget what the coffee maker in the cabin is like. Is it just a kettle for hot water, to which you add instant coffee?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Hi, I forget what the coffee maker in the cabin is like. Is it just a kettle for hot water, to which you add instant coffee?

Just heat the water in the kettle - instant coffee and tea bags provided.

I guess you could bring your own ground coffee +  french press or #2 filter setup.

19 hours ago, lissie said:

I found the instant coffee rubbish - and next time will probably bring some coffee bags with me.  

I this the coffee packet in the Cabin - Clb Brit - was quite harsh. I have to remember to bring something from home on the next sailing. I think there are packets near the KC buffet coffee machines that I may have brought back to the room. I also took other tea bags too to place on the tray on the desk.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Hi nj guy,

I agree with in cabin packet. I don't remember if they were Nescafe or foreign. But those if I remember at the KC could be alternative. Also if they don't boil out the pots once in awhile, the water also can contain minerals. Have to see if I can bring packets or chose KC during a walk thru.

BTW.....Cape May Court........We love the lower township and stay for many decades in our favorite B&B's. Also love the Washington Mall. So many favorite restaurants too! Just straight shot down the GSP.

Going to the NE/CAN in July....did it many years. How do you get up north to the terminal. Wondered from the tip of NJ....We take 3 hours by car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi nj guy,

I agree with in cabin packet. I don't remember if they were Nescafe or foreign. But those if I remember at the KC could be alternative. Also if they don't boil out the pots once in awhile, the water also can contain minerals. Have to see if I can bring packets or chose KC during a walk thru.

BTW.....Cape May Court........We love the lower township and stay for many decades in our favorite B&B's. Also love the Washington Mall. So many favorite restaurants too! Just straight shot down the GSP.

Going to the NE/CAN in July....did it many years. How do you get up north to the terminal. Wondered from the tip of NJ....We take 3 hours by car.

Hi. I do drive. Depending on traffic, close to 3 hours. (I am only 2 hours from EWR, but that is not during rush hour or with traffic.) To Brooklyn: Garden State Parkway (GSP) to Perth Amboy/Outer-Bridge Crossing exit (right after Woodbridge), to Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn and right up the highway to the pier.  I get to cross the widest motor vehicle bridge in the world (by number of lanes the Driscoll Bridge), then cross the 2nd longest bridge in the world (Verrazano Narrows Bridge), all while seeing the tallest building in the US (One World Tower), and then arriving at the largest ocean liner ever built, QM2.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Hi. I do drive. Depending on traffic, close to 3 hours. (I am only 2 hours from EWR, but that is not during rush hour or with traffic.) To Brooklyn: Garden State Parkway (GSP) to Perth Amboy/Outer-Bridge Crossing exit (right after Woodbridge), to Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn and right up the highway to the pier.  I get to cross the widest motor vehicle bridge in the world (by number of lanes the Driscoll Bridge), then cross the 2nd longest bridge in the world (Verrazano Narrows Bridge), all while seeing the tallest building in the US (One World Tower), and then arriving at the largest ocean liner ever built, QM2.

Isn't great to ride along the Gowanus Parkway and past the industrial area  to the left see that beautiful sight in clear sight. Then thru the streets to the terminal entrance then after that long stretch at the end making that right turn and There She Is.. I too get so emotional that soon I will be on board the Grand Lobby. Your description truly shows the excitement of this great city Queen Mary 2 find home to dock.

Ps... I get to see that Great Span each and everyday out our window all year round thru out the seasons.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Isn't great to ride along the Gowanus Parkway and past the industrial area  to the left see that beautiful sight in clear sight. Then thru the streets to the terminal entrance then after that long stretch at the end making that right turn and There She Is.. I too get so emotional that soon I will be on board the Grand Lobby. Your description truly shows the excitement of this great city Queen Mary 2 find home to dock.

Ps... I get to see that Great Span each and everyday out our window all year round thru out the seasons.

I am in St George section of Staten Island I get the harbor with all the ships going by.

• Like 2