Newbie question bout off and on at ports…

One of my port stops is quite long, 12 hours ish.

I have a canoe trip booked that morning.  Are you allowed to get off and on and off again? Say if I got wet and wanted to go back and change clothes, get lunch, and then go for another sightsee?

celebtrity to alaska if that makes a difference.

6 hours ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

I have a canoe trip booked that morning.  Are you allowed to get off and on and off again? Say if I got wet and wanted to go back and change clothes, get lunch, and then go for another sightsee?

Hi Kate, passengers are allowed to get on/off the ship while in ports as much as they want. The main things to remember is always have your ship card and ID with you a and NEVER be late getting back to the ship 🚢 or you will be known as a pier runner 🏃‍♂️ and you may be left behind 😊 

Howdy @Kate-in-Canada emo22.gif

Anytime you are on a cruise ship or in one of the itinerary ports, make sure to keep your watch on ship's time. NOT your phone because they can automatically change to the local time if you change time zones. If the ship does change her time, there will be announcements. Also, there will probably be a sign as you leave the ship that will advise you what time (again, ship's time) you must be back on the ship for departure to the next port. 

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

Sure you can.  All the advice above is good.  Of course, some ports are more difficult to just come and go, depending on if they are tender ports or if the port area is in an industrial or shipping area which might involve taking a shuttle or bus.  There are ports where you can't just walk into town, for instance, due to distance or other concerns.  It also depends on where your tour drops you off.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can generally get on and off as much as you want, but since we're still in COVID times I would check if the places you're going require a cruise sponsored tour to get off the boat because then you might not be able to walk off the boat on your own. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, unrealHeather said:

It is probably easier and would save time to pack some dri fit clothes for the canoe trip, a plastic bag and a change of clothes.  What if the canoe trip is 1 hour away from the port ?

Oh , lots of what ifs.  I still wanted to know if this was an option. 

On 6/11/2022 at 6:48 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

You absolutely can. I've done overnights in Bermuda, if you want to get up at 4AM and get off the ship (not recommended) or get on the ship (again, not recommended) you can.

As long as you're back by the time the gangway goes up, you'll be fine.

I definitely understand why I would not want to get up at 4 AM to leave the ship, but why is this not recommended? In April we were in Bermuda for three days - talked with the concierge who assured us we could get on/off anytime. 

We're going back to Bermuda next month - maybe I will wake up super early and walk off just to experience it...but still curious, why not recommended?

I did stayed off the boat almost the entire night in Bermuda once. Took a nap on horseshoe bay beach when the crowds were all gone and I had it all to myself. Felt like one of the coolest things I ever did. I rented a moped for the duration of the stay there and they dropped it off right by the ship and I just treated the ship like it was a hotel room until it was time to go. In and out a good number of times.

14 hours ago, smears said:

I did stayed off the boat almost the entire night in Bermuda once. Took a nap on horseshoe bay beach when the crowds were all gone and I had it all to myself. Felt like one of the coolest things I ever did. I rented a moped for the duration of the stay there and they dropped it off right by the ship and I just treated the ship like it was a hotel room until it was time to go. In and out a good number of times.

What an amazing idea! Minus the moped haha...love the thought of hearing the waves at night with no one around, eventually having a light slumber

If I remember correctly, you aren't allowed to drive a car in Bermuda if you don't live there, or something like that. With the ships staying overnight the moped really came in handy. I didn't book any excursions, but I saw the whole island from one side to the other 2 or 3 times. The roads if I recall were relatively narrow and the busses were huge, taking up more than half the road, so it was an adventure at times. Also they drive on the wrong side of the road which was fine until I got to a traffic circle and for a second I was really confused. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, Sea Leg Journeys said:

Hi Kate, passengers are allowed to get on/off the ship while in ports as much as they want. The main things to remember is always have your ship card and ID with you a and NEVER be late getting back to the ship 🚢 or you will be known as a pier runner 🏃‍♂️ and you may be left behind 😊 

Or, at the very least, be the feature item in an upcoming YouTube video on cruising.  😅

On 7/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I definitely understand why I would not want to get up at 4 AM to leave the ship, but why is this not recommended? In April we were in Bermuda for three days - talked with the concierge who assured us we could get on/off anytime. 

We're going back to Bermuda next month - maybe I will wake up super early and walk off just to experience it...but still curious, why not recommended?

I read it as saying the same thing as you -- who wants to get up at 4 am!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I read it as saying the same thing as you -- who wants to get up at 4 am!  

Aside from needing to get on the road for an hour's drive to the airport so I can get there by 5:00 so i can check in for my 6:30 AM flight to my embarkation port, I cannot imagine wanting to get up at 4:00 AM.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, Kate-in-Canada said:

Yep, as many times as you need to. Have an amazing trip! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sure.  Although some ports  are far from any shopping, sights, etc. and might require some walking or a shuttle, etc. to get out of the dock areas.  

As far as I know, this wouldn't be a problem at most Alaskan ports.  If you have to tender, going back to the ship is still doable, but a pain.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser