Best mode of transportation from LGA to EWR

cynt

My flight to EWR was canceled.  Now im on a flight into LGA. What's a few options for me to get from LGA TO EWR? My hotel for tonight is booked at an EWR hotel.

Do they have a public shuttle bus that runs to each airport? I know I can grab a taxi or lyft for about $100. I'm looking for other SIMPLE options. Thx.

7 minutes ago, cynt said:

My flight to EWR was canceled.  Now im on a flight into LGA. What's a few options for me to get from LGA TO EWR? My hotel for tonight is booked at an EWR hotel.

Do they have a public shuttle bus that runs to each airport? I know I can grab a taxi or lyft for about $100. I'm looking for other SIMPLE options. Thx.

Uber, Lyft or a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo are reasonable and simple options. i think you'll find the fare to be well north of $100 due to high gasoline prices.

You don't want to take a taxi...NY City taxis don't have to take you to NJ, with the exception of to EWR itself. They don't have to take you to a hotel in the vicinity of EWR. If a taxi agreed to do the trip to a hotel near EWR the fare would be unregulated and the driver could try to charge an outrageously high fare. If you were to decide to take a taxi to EWR itself you would then have to get the hotel's shuttle or a taxi or Uber from the airport to the hotel, defeating your objective of a simple option.

You can check with ETS Air Shuttle https://www.etsairportshuttle.com/  for shuttle service from LGA to EWR, but again you would then have to make your way from the airport to the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Uber, Lyft or a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo are reasonable and simple options. i think you'll find the fare to be well north of $100 due to high gasoline prices.

You don't want to take a taxi...NY City taxis don't have to take you to NJ, with the exception of to EWR itself. They don't have to take you to a hotel in the vicinity of EWR. If a taxi agreed to do the trip to a hotel near EWR the fare would be unregulated and the driver could try to charge an outrageously high fare. If you were to decide to take a taxi to EWR itself you would then have to get the hotel's shuttle or a taxi or Uber from the airport to the hotel, defeating your objective of a simple option.

You can check with ETS Air Shuttle https://www.etsairportshuttle.com/  for shuttle service from LGA to EWR, but again you would then have to make your way from the airport to the hotel.

Thank you. I'll probably stick with Lyft. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

NY City taxis don't have to take you to NJ, with the exception of to EWR itself. They don't have to take you to a hotel in the vicinity of EWR. If a taxi agreed to do the trip to a hotel near EWR the fare would be unregulated and the driver could try to charge an outrageously high fare.

By administrative rule, New York City taxis may not refuse transportation to “Newark Airport,” absent “justifiable grounds,” 35 RCNY § 80-20(a)(1), the fare for which is the sum of the metered amount, plus $17.50 surcharge, plus all necessary tolls to and from the destination, 35 RCNY § 58-26(c)(3). A New York City taxi may (but is not obligated to) provide transport to other points in New Jersey, and in those cases there must be a “flat rate,” 35 RCNY § 80-20(c)(1), meaning “a definite dollar amount that will be charged to a Taxicab passenger for a specific trip, and is fixed before the trip begins,” 35 RCNY § 58-03(m). So for one of these discretionary trips there should not be any surprises of an outrageous fare upon arrival at the destination, the flat rate having already been determined at the onset of the journey (of course, the flat rate negotiated in advance could, itself, be “outrageous,” but at least one would not be surprised or compelled to pay an not known at the onset (and if “outrageous,” then one could negotiate with a different taxi operator).

But all this leaves unanswered what constitutes “Newark Airport.” Nowhere within the administrative rules is the term “Newark Airport” defined. (1) Does the term mean any airline passenger terminal at Newark Liberty International Airport? (2) Does the term include only destinations within the city of Newark, and exclude destinations within the city of Elizabeth? (3) Does the term mean any point within the contiguous property owned or leased by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in or near the airport it operates in and near Newark? (4) Does the term mean any point that any business labels as Newark Airport? I suspect that if a question arose before a TLC administrative law judge, such as a refusal of a New York City taxi to transport a passenger from the city of New York to a hotel that labels itself as being at “Newark Airport,” the ALJ would use (3) as the standard ((1) is too limiting, (2) would lead to the unintended consequence of excluding Terminal A, located in Elizabeth, as a destination, and (4) is too vague to administer). In that case, the TLC would require transportation to the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott hotel, but not require transportation to any other hotel, even if across the street from property owned or leased by the Port Authority, e.g., Courtyard by Marriott Newark Liberty International Airport. But this all speculation on my part, as I have not reviewed the TLC decisions. I would be interested in knowing if the question, of what constitutes “Newark Airport,” has ever been adjudicated.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I took a Lyft. $143 later I arrived safely at my Newark hotel from LGA!

Tonight's prayer Thank you God for keeping me safe and calm all day after canceled flights,  5 hour layovers and paying more than a tanks worth of gas to drive 37 miles. I'm most grateful.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cynt said:

I took a Lyft. $143 later I arrived safely at my Newark hotel from LGA!

Ouch. Certainly a competitive price for the type of service provided, but for those of us who ordinarily would use public transportation from Flushing to Newark (where the total fare would be less than $10), it is a steep fare to have paid, especially as having been unexpected as a result of an air carrier failure. Hopefully the cruise will be so fabulous that the air carrier mishap will be just an asterisk!

• Thanks 1

Due to a bird strike on the aircraft I was to fly on from FCO-LHR, we left very late and I missed my LHR-EWR flight.  BA rebooked me while I was in the air from FCO, albeit into JFK, (wish I'd had an option to stay over in London and go to EWR the next day, or even PHL, BWI or IAD; any of them are easier to get home from over JFK)

Anyway, BA forked over $155 for a car service to get me back to EWR.  Ouch.  Better them than me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1