Seas/swell between NSW and Nth QLD Australia mid/late April

We sailed into the tail end of a Cyclone(Monica) one April (2006) now that cruise had some rough seas, at least one night Mrs Gut and me were the only people in the MDR, that was on a small ship (Pacific Princess). Other times the sea has been like glass.

This is the forecast for our waters on Sunday evening. Yes, it is June but it can be anytime.

IDY30100.sigWaveHgt_057.png.4ec3e3f9c480c0c4cf0cba2f53afbc30.png

Pacific Explorer is due to be out there on a cruise to nowhere, which may go almost nowhere.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

This is the forecast for our waters on Sunday evening. Yes, it is June but it can be anytime.

Pacific Explorer is due to be out there on a cruise to nowhere, which may go almost nowhere.

And that's exactly why there aren't any NZ cruises at this time of year. Imagine crossing the Tasman through that lot! 😱

Maybe Dora will just do circles inside the harbour.

• Like 1

Nothing like a good swell at sea to get your sea legs, but no 40 foot seas and Force 11 - 12 gales thanks, been there done that.

Edited by NSWP

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Exciting times lie ahead for the Cruiselings, lol.  It is a 3 night comedy cruise is it not? So they can just hug the coast @ 10 knots then the seas might only be 6M lol.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And that's exactly why there aren't any NZ cruises at this time of year. Imagine crossing the Tasman through that lot! 😱

Dodging the...1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpg

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It is quite possible they may come back to anchor in Sydney tomorrow. It will be rough all the way to the coast, and a possibility that the Manly ferry might be parked tomorrow.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is quite possible they may come back to anchor in Sydney tomorrow. It will be rough all the way to the coast, and a possibility that the Manly ferry might be parked tomorrow.

With a strong Westerly like we have you can sometimes get away with sneaking down close along the coast to Jervis Bay.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

With a strong Westerly like we have you can sometimes get away with sneaking down close along the coast to Jervis Bay.

I thought this was a definite possibility for Sunday, as we have anchored in Jervis Bay before. I heard this morning that they don't want cruise ships in there anymore, but don't know how/why that is now the case. 

I can't imagine them being out at sea for a cruise to nowhere on Sunday night. Everywhere they can cruise is 5 metres +. Bass Strait looks good.

IDY30223.sigWaveHgt_039.png.3573ebaccc465608c38384ce4f55f0ce.png

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I thought this was a definite possibility for Sunday, as we have anchored in Jervis Bay before. I heard this morning that they don't want cruise ships in there anymore, but don't know how/why that is now the case. 

I can't imagine them being out at sea for a cruise to nowhere on Sunday night. Everywhere they can cruise is 5 metres +. Bass Strait looks good.

IDY30223.sigWaveHgt_039.png.3573ebaccc465608c38384ce4f55f0ce.png

Could it be that Jervis Bay is a territory of the Commonwealth?

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Could it be that Jervis Bay is a territory of the Commonwealth?

Well, yes it is, but cruise ships have sheltered there for a bit of respite on cruises to nowhere in the past. From what I heard, this wasn't part of a covid ban, but has been that way for longer.

Just now, NSWP said:

PE might just potter around Botany Bay and annoy Rod, lol 

I'm glad you put the lovely photo up,

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Well, yes it is, but cruise ships have sheltered there for a bit of respite on cruises to nowhere in the past. From what I heard, this wasn't part of a covid ban, but has been that way for longer.

I was thinking security issues. 

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Just read that there is an effort to have Jervis Bay declared as a cruise destination, but it is now considered a marine park. That would explain it somewhat.

Spot on. The Greenies are not Cruiselings. No cruiseships in Marine Parks, they might scare the 🐠 lol.

Edited by NSWP

I was in the Navy for a while. My personal rules are ; Don't sail south of Brisbane in Winter. Don't sail north of Brisbane in Summer, don't sail across the Tasman in Spring  and don't sail East to West across the Bight in any season. I know there will be some replies to these Rules saying  something like " I did it - no problems". I would like to tell them that many times I have walked across a road against the red pedestrian light - and I have also always got away with it - so far!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

I was in the Navy for a while. My personal rules are ; Don't sail south of Brisbane in Winter. Don't sail north of Brisbane in Summer, don't sail across the Tasman in Spring  and don't sail East to West across the Bight in any season. I know there will be some replies to these Rules saying  something like " I did it - no problems". I would like to tell them that many times I have walked across a road against the red pedestrian light - and I have also always got away with it - so far!!!

Hello Sailor, you are a rebel disobeying the pedestrian lights. Katrina Carroll 👮‍♀️informed, lol.

7 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

7 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Sound good rules to follow.  I made the mistake of sailing east to west across the Bight once.  Turned me off cruising for 30 years!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sound good rules to follow.  I made the mistake of sailing east to west across the Bight once.  Turned me off cruising for 30 years!!

Indeed some big strong swells in The Australian Bight, reminded me of the sea conditions in Bay of Biscay, big strong swells there.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Indeed some big strong swells in The Australian Bight, reminded me of the sea conditions in Bay of Biscay, big strong swells there.

Yes like Bay of Biscay, which is the only place I've been sea sick, as were most of the passengers.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

That is a fair call. It is largely about travelling with the prevailing swell or current. Same waves with a following swell are much more comfortable than sailing against them.

Wanting to know what the swell will be, all I can say is that it goes up and it goes down and only the height varies, so take sea sick tablets with you and hope that it doesn’t go up to high so when the drop comes it isn’t to bad

• Like 1