Carnival Legend May 28 - June5 short observations

The good:

·         We had a 1:30-2:00 embark time, arrived 12:30 and was able to get right on ship, was on Lido by 12:50

·         All the staff was top notch, being short staffed was very impressed with how they were able to accomplish all they did

·         Food was on par with prior cruises, some minor differences/cutbacks but nothing that really affected or cruise

·         We were sailing with a full ship, but never seemed liked it, I think that is a spirit class thing as I have sailed several spirit class ships and it never does seem

crowded

The Bad:

·         There has to be a better way to make/serve Pizza.  Always long lines (especially after 11:00pm when that is the only free food to be had)

·         IMO, While the show’s performers for the most part are lacking in talent on Carnival over the years, this cruise I thought there were particularly poor.  While the Rock show contained many songs that are great, I do not think the singers were able to give them the justice they deserved.  Just my opinion, others may have thought they were great

The Ugly:

·         My only real frustration this entire cruise was the last night’s dinner.  We had any time dining and checked in our party of 8 at 5:30.  From 5:30 until 6:30 the app stated 10-20 minute wait.  At 6:30 it went to under 10 minute wait until 7:45 when we were finally given a table.  I went repeatedly to the greeter at the dining room starting around 6:15 and was told each time around 10-15 minutes more.  Never had an issue getting a table for 8 the entire week (3 times right in and twice 60-70 minute wait which the app reflected).  I honestly would not have had an issue with an hour and 45 minute wait, if the app reflected it, or the greeter told us it would be that long.

One last thought, the next to last day, guys in hazmat suits sprayed down the entire 7th deck with disinfectant.  Not sure if that is a normal occurrence or if there was a case of Covid and were taking precautions. 

• Like 4

We were on the Legend 05/15-05/22 and agree with most of what you've said above!  Embarkation was painless and easy.  It took no time at all to part, go through the embarkation process and board the ship.  We didn't stop the whole time.  LOL  Baltimore has that down!

The singers...wowza they were terrible.  There are 2 that we thought were ok, the rest should stick to dancing.  My son and his girlfriend had gone to the welcome aboard show (we skipped it) and made me go to the show another night just to see my reactions.  I didn't realize that was their goal at the time. It was, something.  

We had early dining, so no issues there for us. Although, we did feel the food wasn't as good as it had been on past cruises, pre-COVID.  We didn't do the buffet except for breakfast one day and that was enough.  Breakfast is weak on the ship overall.  

We love sailing from Baltimore because it's an easy drive for us (Sussex County, Delaware), the port is easy to navigate and efficient.  However, we do wish there were better itineraries.  That's the problem with trying to do 7 days out of the mid-Atlantic.  I think they could make St. Thomas or something happen but choose not to in favor of Freeport.  They've GOT to drop that port.  Even the staff was making fun of it as port stop.  Everyone we spoke to was either not getting off at all, getting off for a quick walk around the immediate port area or complaining about the lack of excursions and the ridiculous prices for the lackluster excursion options.  

• Like 2

We also were on the May 28 sailing.  We do not have an Iphone (smart phone).  Just a flip phone between me and my DH.  Were not able to do the Carnival app.

First two nights were no problem getting a table for MTD in the MDR.  Just gave the hostess our cabin # and were put on the wait list.  Just waited 15-20 minutes (in the cold, cold, lounge) for our table for 2.  The following nights when we checked in with the hostess (no one waiting to be seated) we were told there were some 76 and 98 pax before us.  This would not do.  We complained and complained that we were  being penalized for not having a smart phone.  We also noticed that there were several tables for two that were not occupied.  We were then seated right away for the last few days of the cruise.  We had the same table and the same amazing wait staff.

Another thing, when we were first seated, they asked us what we would like.  How about a menu - we do NOT have an iphone.  

Food in the MDR was pretty good.  But the lunch buffet food was just awful.  The only good thing about the lunch buffet were the amazing cake desserts.

The pizza was much better on previous cruises.  Had it once and that was enough.

We have been on 50+ cruises.  But not all on Carnival (we are platinum).

On 6/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, eh24fan said:

I think they could make St. Thomas or something happen but choose not to in favor of Freeport.  They've GOT to drop that port.  Even the staff was making fun of it as port stop.  Everyone we spoke to was either not getting off at all, getting off for a quick walk around the immediate port area or complaining about the lack of excursions and the ridiculous prices for the lackluster excursion options.  

I heard a comic on Carnival say that Carnival only stops at Freeport to make Nassau look good. He got a huge, knowing laugh from the crowd. 

• Like 1

Some other observations on this cruise:

Cabin steward only once a day.

Daily paper only at Guest Services after 10:00 PM for the next day.

One fork & knife at dinner.  Did not give you new ones between courses.

One roll & one butter per person.  We never asked for seconds.

No table cloth.  Not even on "elegant nights."

If no iphone, you have to ask for a dinner menu.

The ships are understaffed, so they are working hard to keep up.  Once a day room service by the steward was no issue for us - they have too many cabins to take care of and in all honesty, we are adults and perfectly capable of cleaning up after ourselves.  

In the dining room, we saw no issue with using the same utensils - why dirty another fork?  That's just more work for the already limited staff.   If you wanted more bread, just ask for it.  We did a few times, no issues.  With the menu, we either used our phones or asked for the paper menu, which was quickly given to us.  

The workaround for checking in for meals?  Choose set dining times.  Most cruise lines are now relying heavily on their apps as the majority of people have smartphones and it allows them to work more efficiently.  Is it a pain to have to schedule things on your phone?  Sometimes...but we really liked being able to check in for breakfast on our phone and being able to do something else while we waited for the "your table is ready" notification.   

COVID brought on a lot of changes, including lower staffing levels, that have changed cruising.  Some of it, we embrace because it's much easier...like the new muster drills, the app, etc.  Some of it kind of stinks, like fewer activities and the testing stress.  We just roll with the punches and make the best of it.  

Edited by eh24fan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, eh24fan said:

The ships are understaffed, so they are working hard to keep up.  Once a day room service by the steward was no issue for us - they have too many cabins to take care of and in all honesty, we are adults and perfectly capable of cleaning up after ourselves.  

Once a day was fine for us.  Our room steward said he  had 35 cabins instead of the normal 20.  He was amazing.

• Like 1

Thundercrack, thanks for your thoughtful review.  You did a good job of describing the current cruising conditions.

My own non-Covid related health issues will probably keep me from cruising again, but the two granddaughters who often accompanied me are eager to sail the bounding main once again.

Happy Sailing.

11 hours ago, eh24fan said:

In the dining room, we saw no issue with using the same utensils - why dirty another fork?  That's just more work for the already limited staff.   If you wanted more bread, just ask for it.  We did a few times, no issues.  With the menu, we either used our phones or asked for the paper menu, which was quickly given to us.  

The workaround for checking in for meals?  Choose set dining times.  Most cruise lines are now relying heavily on their apps as the majority of people have smartphones and it allows them to work more efficiently.  Is it a pain to have to schedule things on your phone?  Sometimes...but we really liked being able to check in for breakfast on our phone and being able to do something else while we waited for the "your table is ready" notification.   

COVID brought on a lot of changes, including lower staffing levels, that have changed cruising.  Some of it, we embrace because it's much easier...like the new muster drills, the app, etc.  Some of it kind of stinks, like fewer activities and the testing stress.  We just roll with the punches and make the best of it.  

Good words. Hope to cruise with you, and other people like you someday. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, CarolRoy said:

We also were on the May 28 sailing.  We do not have an Iphone (smart phone).  Just a flip phone between me and my DH.  Were not able to do the Carnival app.

First two nights were no problem getting a table for MTD in the MDR.  Just gave the hostess our cabin # and were put on the wait list.  Just waited 15-20 minutes (in the cold, cold, lounge) for our table for 2.  The following nights when we checked in with the hostess (no one waiting to be seated) we were told there were some 76 and 98 pax before us.  This would not do.  We complained and complained that we were  being penalized for not having a smart phone.  We also noticed that there were several tables for two that were not occupied.  We were then seated right away for the last few days of the cruise.  We had the same table and the same amazing wait staff.

Another thing, when we were first seated, they asked us what we would like.  How about a menu - we do NOT have an iphone.  

Food in the MDR was pretty good.  But the lunch buffet food was just awful.  The only good thing about the lunch buffet were the amazing cake desserts.

The pizza was much better on previous cruises.  Had it once and that was enough.

We have been on 50+ cruises.  But not all on Carnival (we are platinum).

Just an FYI, you don't need an Iphone, I've had a phone since the early 90's and never had a Iphone in my life lol. Any old Android smart phone would work fine, in fact, you can probably get one for cheaper than a flip phone these days, although I dig the retro, I've been tempted to buy and old Motrola Razar V3 quite a few times for form factor alone..lol. You also don't need a data plan to have a smart phone, lots of free wifi everywhere and could save your bacon with wifi calling if you are ever in a place with a bad/no cell signal but have a wifi connection. Depending on your internet provider, you may already have access to tons of hot spots for free as well. May be time to ditch the equivalent of the horse and buggy. 😁 

Our steward was too!  Nelson somehow managed to sneak in there and out when none of us were in the room, despite my 15yr old sleeping later than us. LOL  Cruising is definitely different than it was pre-COVID and the cutbacks were happening even prior to the COVID.  I've tried to explain the "elegance" of cruising in 1992 when I first went, but my husband and younger son can't grasp why you would want to go again knowing the dress up requirements back then LOL  

2 hours ago, eh24fan said:

Our steward was too!  Nelson somehow managed to sneak in there and out when none of us were in the room, despite my 15yr old sleeping later than us.

We too had Nelson.  We gave him a generous tip.

Also bacon was only available every other day at the breakfast buffet.  If you wanted bacon on your Guy's burger, you had to ask for it.  It was under the counter and out of sight for the passengers.  Another way Carnival is cutting corners today.