Civitavecchia train station questions

LoriLoriLori

1.  If we are sailing on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas, do you know how long it takes to walk from ship to train station?  I think I read there are free shuttle busses.  Perhaps the shuttle bus would get us closer to the train station faster?  Where does the shuttle bus go specifically?

2.  Are there different locations for the Civitavecchia Express versus the regular or regional trains? 

I found this -- https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/port-mobility-shuttle-buses/

Thank you.  

There's only one functioning train station, everything goes there.

There is a free shuttle bus that currently drops off a 1.8 km/1.1 miles from the train station.  

There is also a paid shuttle bus all the way to the station.

In both cases you have to wait for everyone else.  If you are berthed at the southern end of the port, #10 - #13, you can probably walk to the train station faster than the bus can get there, because it has to go north to the vehicle exit then double back to the train station.  On foot you can go out the southern exit and be just a couple of blocks from the station.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LoriLoriLori said:

1.  If we are sailing on Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas, do you know how long it takes to walk from ship to train station?  I think I read there are free shuttle busses.  Perhaps the shuttle bus would get us closer to the train station faster?  Where does the shuttle bus go specifically?

2.  Are there different locations for the Civitavecchia Express versus the regular or regional trains? 

Thank you.  

Posted Monday at 11:47 AM
  On 6/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, maryland said:

Not sure where to ask this question since it’s specific to the Odyssey, but here goes: Trying to book train tickets for our upcoming cruise. We’re doing a private transfer from Rome to the ship, but will be taking the train back to Rome after the cruise. If we are self-carry, what time can we expect to be allowed to disembark? I know there’s an FB train at 9:16 and 11:16 and regional trains in between which take longer. Would we be able to make the 9:16 train? Thanks

see answer below:
We just disembarked on Sunday am from ODYSSEY. You can walk off around 6-30 to 7am. Go to your left when you reach the coach parking and there is a Shuttle Bus sign. The city run shuttle is 3 Euro to the train station and takes about twelve minutes. We had  booked the 9.16 train but got there too early and had to wait 90 minutes for the train. Our tickets were not permited to change time. The regional train and another 
Frecce train left while we were waiting. The station is NOT a comfortable place to wait and it was hot.   You can easily have a leisurely breakfast on board and make the 9.16 train  or the one before it which goes direct to Rome Termini . Other trains stop at stops along the way....so depending where you want to go. Rome Termini is crazy busy but right outside the station is a taxi rank. The ship will not tell you about the 3 euro shuttle as they charge 25 US each to take you on the same short trip to the station.
good luck.

• Thanks 1

Lori

copied and pasted the above from a similar question to yours posted under Odyssey of the Seas May 25th.

I would 'nt plan on walking with luggage and its very hot in summer. The $3 shuttle is direct from ship to station..no stops. Does a loop from ship to station and back. The train you get depends on where you wish to get off . Frecce at 9.16 goes direct to Rome Termini other Regional trains stop at different places and are therefore slower.....and cheaper. Look on website Trenitalia.com. A "Me and You" fare is cheaper than booking individually but only offered on certain trains. Frecce is one. You can also pay $2 extra each to book a specific seat on Frecce. At least thats what we did. The train was quite full when it arrived so make sure you get on the right carriage which is marked only on the door where you enter the train and not on the side of the carriage itself. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, pikwe012 said:

Lori

copied and pasted the above from a similar question to yours posted under Odyssey of the Seas May 25th.

I would 'nt plan on walking with luggage and its very hot in summer. The $3 shuttle is direct from ship to station..no stops. Does a loop from ship to station and back. The train you get depends on where you wish to get off . Frecce at 9.16 goes direct to Rome Termini other Regional trains stop at different places and are therefore slower.....and cheaper. Look on website Trenitalia.com. A "Me and You" fare is cheaper than booking individually but only offered on certain trains. Frecce is one. You can also pay $2 extra each to book a specific seat on Frecce. At least thats what we did. The train was quite full when it arrived so make sure you get on the right carriage which is marked only on the door where you enter the train and not on the side of the carriage itself. 

Thank you for this, it's very helpful.  Fortunately we are not carrying luggage - it's a port day. 

14 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There's only one functioning train station, everything goes there.

There is a free shuttle bus that currently drops off a 1.8 km/1.1 miles from the train station.  

There is also a paid shuttle bus all the way to the station.

In both cases you have to wait for everyone else.  If you are berthed at the southern end of the port, #10 - #13, you can probably walk to the train station faster than the bus can get there, because it has to go north to the vehicle exit then double back to the train station.  On foot you can go out the southern exit and be just a couple of blocks from the station.

Excellent -- maybe we will get lucky and will be berthed at the south end.  🙂 Thank you euro cruiser.  You answered another one of my train questions.  It's a bit overwhelming but I think I'm getting a handle on it.  🙂 

16 hours ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thank you.  

19 minutes ago, pikwe012 said:

Lori,

If you know where in Rome you want to go first eg. Colosseum it would help to advise on train.

Thank you.  I have been researching these trains like crazy and trying to get a lay of the land in Rome. We are trying to see three major things on our port day which is 8am -8pm.   I'm trying to plan it out to most efficiently use our time.  I have about 90 more days so hopefully I'll get it figured out by then, lol.  

DW and I have done that walk (ship to train station) many times and it is a real hike.  The actual distance is very dependent on the docking position, and we are not aware of any place to learn your docking position in advance (the captain may know a few days in advance).   While some would suggest that you are not permitted to walk through the huge port, we have never been turned around by security.   In one instance, while walking back to our ship we were stopped by Port Security but they were fine once they saw our cruise cards.

We do not generally recommend that folks walk because it is a long way (it can be over 1 1/2 miles depending on docking position) and you do need to be cognizant that you are walking through a working and busy port.  But there is a marked route and there are pedestrian pass-throughs at the various security gates.  If walking you would want to head towards the small Fortress which is located adjacent to the old main entrance.  

Lastly, we have not done this walk since the COVID cruise shutdown.  It is possible that the port rules have changed so one would need to check out the situation once you are at the port.  But if you get off the ship and the security folks stop you from walking your Plan B would be to simply wait for the next free shuttle bus.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Lori,

If the Coliseum is on your list I would start there and work back to other sites. If it's as hot as it was last week (90's) this will not be easy. If this is your first stop you can take the 9.16 am Frecce train which goes direct to Rome Termini and then walk to the Colosseum.  Book tickets online to avoid long lines. First Sunday in the month is free admission and it's a zoo. Avoid it. We were in Rome in cooler weather before this visit and walked everywhere...with the heat in summer this is not a good plan . So how to get to your three sites of choice would need to be researched.  We havnt done the hop on and off bus but it might be worth looking at. We used the metro to go from east to west. Depending where you end up would then need how to figure out getting back to ship ie which train station. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pikwe012 said:

Lori,

If the Coliseum is on your list I would start there and work back to other sites. If it's as hot as it was last week (90's) this will not be easy. If this is your first stop you can take the 9.16 am Frecce train which goes direct to Rome Termini and then walk to the Colosseum.  Book tickets online to avoid long lines. First Sunday in the month is free admission and it's a zoo. Avoid it. We were in Rome in cooler weather before this visit and walked everywhere...with the heat in summer this is not a good plan . So how to get to your three sites of choice would need to be researched.  We havnt done the hop on and off bus but it might be worth looking at. We used the metro to go from east to west. Depending where you end up would then need how to figure out getting back to ship ie which train station. 

A better way to get to the Colosseum without having to wait for the 9:16 train would be to take the earliest possible regionale train from Civitavecchia, get off at Roma Ostiense station and transfer to the (literally next door, name of stop is Pyramide) metro. Line B two stops to Colosseo. This saves you having to go all the way to Termini and also having to walk to the Colosseum.  When you get off the metro and come up the stairs the Colosseum is right across the street.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

A better way to get to the Colosseum without having to wait for the 9:16 train would be to take the earliest possible regionale train from Civitavecchia, get off at Roma Ostiense station and transfer to the (literally next door, name of stop is Pyramide) metro.

Yes, this routing saves you time as you're off the train from Civitavecchia at least 10 - 15 minutes before it arrives to Termini and you miss the three block walk from the regional tracks to the metro at Termini.  You can be at the Colosseum before someone who went all the way to Termini even gets on the metro.

• Thanks 1

If it's hot and humid, consider hailing a cab between a couple of locations.  It's fast, efficient,  reasonably priced, and saves you from getting tired and grumpy!  When your port time is limited, you want to make the most of it.

Not sure which 3 locations you've chosen but we started at SanPietro for the Vatican then worked our way towards the Colosseum.  We hailed cabs twice during our walk; Trevi Fountain to the Colosseum and the Colosseum to Ostiense Station.

We purchased RT tickets for Ostiense, knowing that we could disembark early( SPietro).  We thought Ostiense would be easier to negotiate than Termini for the return trip.  Worked out great!

Have a great trip !

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:43 AM, cruisemom42 said:

A better way to get to the Colosseum without having to wait for the 9:16 train would be to take the earliest possible regionale train from Civitavecchia, get off at Roma Ostiense station and transfer to the (literally next door, name of stop is Pyramide) metro. Line B two stops to Colosseo. This saves you having to go all the way to Termini and also having to walk to the Colosseum.  When you get off the metro and come up the stairs the Colosseum is right across the street.

In another thread, someone mentioned purchasing a BIRG ticket, which would allow you to take both the regional train and the metro on the same fare, for the route you have suggested above.  Is that helpful in terms of saving time? If so, do you know if you can purchase them in advance?

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheHawk1 said:

In another thread, someone mentioned purchasing a BIRG ticket, which would allow you to take both the regional train and the metro on the same fare, for the route you have suggested above.  Is that helpful in terms of saving time? If so, do you know if you can purchase them in advance?

If you plan on using the metro in Rome, the BIRG ticket makes sense and may save a little time. The ticket (more like a pass) is valid only on the regionale trains though (not on the Frecce or fast trains).

Unfortunately, unless things have changed recently, you can only buy the BIRG ticket at the station on the day of travel. I remember hearing that they are not always available through the train ticket office but that you can get them at the newsstand, which is what I did. 

• Thanks 1

Traveling from the Port to our hotel near the Pantheon. Thinking of getting off the train at the St Peters stop. Is the BIRG ticket good for other days transportation but only the same day it is purchased?  We will be in Rome 4 days. We have been to Rome a few other times but have never taken the train from the Port on our other trips.  Thanks for the help..

The Birg is a one-day ticket.  If you're only going in one direction it doesn't make financial sense, just pay for the train (4,60 euro) and the bus (1,50 euro) s

separately.

If you think you'll be using a lot of transit there are one (7 euro), two (12,50 euro) and three day (18 euro) passes.  These are actually hour passes (24, 48, 72) so if you start the first one at noon it's good until noon the next day.

We are planning to walk from the ship to the station at the end of our September cruise and catch the 9:16 train through Rome and Venice all the way to Trieste. We will have wheeled luggage (1 each). Are there any barriers (steps are okay) on the way to the station that would prevent us from taking luggage? Is there enough room by our seats on the train for the luggage or is it stored somewhere? We plan to purchase our tickets 90 days in advance (anytime now) to ensure a seat. Is the trip to Rome reserved seating or open? 

3 hours ago, seeriteR said:

We are planning to walk from the ship to the station at the end of our September cruise and catch the 9:16 train through Rome and Venice all the way to Trieste. We will have wheeled luggage (1 each). Are there any barriers (steps are okay) on the way to the station that would prevent us from taking luggage? Is there enough room by our seats on the train for the luggage or is it stored somewhere? We plan to purchase our tickets 90 days in advance (anytime now) to ensure a seat. Is the trip to Rome reserved seating or open? 

You should be able to walk from the ship to the station but the distance and path will vary based on where your ship docks. Once you are outside the port area, there is a sidewalk (fairly level) along the street to the train station.

It looks like the train you plan to take from Civitavecchia to Rome is one of the Frecciabianca (fast trains), so yes, there will be reserved seating and no need to validate your ticket prior to boarding.

Luggage storage will depend on the carriage you're in. Carriages generally have two doors (one at each end) and luggage racks near those doors. If you are lucky, there may be a luggage rack in the middle of the car, and also sometimes there is room to slide a large suitcase between two sets of seats that are facing opposite ways (as long as the case is not too tall or wide).  There is storage for small carry-ons on a rack above the seats.