New masking policies on HAL ships.

grammi

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Yes - KN95's

On our cruise last week where they were 'recommended' there was one in the room and then when you wanted a new one, you picked it up at guest services.

On Noordam June 5-12 they had surgical masks in the room. At the resort in Denali they had KN95 masks in the main lodge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

We are going to. Too much at stake. Thank you, we are going to have a good time while being safe and controlling what we can.

That was exactly my thought.  Maybe to some it’s just another affordable vacation but for my husband and I it was a considerable amount of money and quite a splurge for us that would have been really upsetting if we lost that money over something we could prevent.  After talking to many of the people on our tour group we did seem to be less well off than most financially.  We did our cruise first. 

another update, I spoke with a couple last night that had said a family on the parallel tour to us said that (the mother was on the trip but her daughter and their family tested positive and she didn’t) HAL was giving each person a $100 a day to pay for food etc.  putting them up in a hotel and paying for flights home as well as refunding the money for the days missed on their trip due to having to quarantine.  Now that’s just hearsay from one person to another but If HAL is doing that I’m glad to hear so.  I feel for the tour director who lost 29 out of her 32 person group because I imagine she won’t be getting her gratuity from those people.  I realize gratuity isn’t guaranteed but I imagine they rely on that much like other people working in the service industry. 

1 hour ago, LJProk said:

I will say, they did not tell us masks were required when we left Anchorage on June 2 to go to Denali by bus, or on the train to Whittier on June 5. However, 95% of people were wearing masks. I think everyone realized they really wanted to go on this trip and would protect themselves. The bus is a little more crowded in terms of seats being closer together. The train is a bit more spaced out.

I’m glad to hear most people on your trip were masking.  I was shocked at the lack of it even from the get go on the ship to start and then on the land tour.  As time went on less and less seemed to bother wearing them.

1 hour ago, Actorjim said:

Does HAL still supply masks?

HAL supplied 2 n95 masks in our stateroom upon embarking and I imagine they would have resupplied them if asked.  I brought packs of my own masks though.  Also they were available for free at the denali lodge in almost every shop and in the main lobby. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, we are all still living in a GLOBAL state of pandemic. That hasn’t changed yet.

The existing choices are still these:

1)Travel anyway, even though this will involve constantly changing regulations and cancellations that may be inconvenient and disappointing.

2) Don't travel until the declaration of global pandemic is officially repealed and the travel industry stabilizes.

It makes no sense to knowingly book and travel under the current circumstances and then be shocked and outraged by the current circumstances.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

At the end of the day, we are all still living in a GLOBAL state of pandemic. That hasn’t changed yet.

The existing choices are still these:

1)Travel anyway, even though this will involve constantly changing regulations and cancellations that may be inconvenient and disappointing.

2) Don't travel until the declaration of global pandemic is officially repealed and the travel industry stabilizes.

It makes no sense to knowingly book and travel under the current circumstances and then be shocked and outraged by the current circumstances.

What should we do if we have tens of thousands of dollars in FCC that has to be used before the end of this year?

I'm not happy giving that to HAL just because my fellow passengers won't do what it takes to keep themselves from getting sick, much less the other passengers.

At least, on HAL, I'm pretty much DAMed if I do, and DAMed if I don't. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

What should we do if we have tens of thousands of dollars in FCC that has to be used before the end of this year?

I'm not happy giving that to HAL just because my fellow passengers won't do what it takes to keep themselves from getting sick, much less the other passengers.

There are rumors that both Canada and the US are going to remove the testing requirement very soon.  According to many here on this board their actions align with reality. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

There are rumors that both Canada and the US are going to remove the testing requirement very soon.  According to many here on this board their actions align with reality. 

So sad in so many ways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

CDC is reevaluating testing for cruise ships. IMO, it's only a matter of time. The question remains, how much time does 'may soon be forthcoming" entail?

"How is cruise travel different, and what options may be available to ease testing requirements for cruise travelers? The CDC has stated that the situation is being reevaluated and changes may soon be forthcoming."

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-cdc-is-reevaluating-testing-for-cruise-ships/74496

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Freckles1983 said:

That was exactly my thought.  Maybe to some it’s just another affordable vacation but for my husband and I it was a considerable amount of money and quite a splurge for us that would have been really upsetting if we lost that money over something we could prevent.  After talking to many of the people on our tour group we did seem to be less well off than most financially.  We did our cruise first. 

another update, I spoke with a couple last night that had said a family on the parallel tour to us said that (the mother was on the trip but her daughter and their family tested positive and she didn’t) HAL was giving each person a $100 a day to pay for food etc.  putting them up in a hotel and paying for flights home as well as refunding the money for the days missed on their trip due to having to quarantine.  Now that’s just hearsay from one person to another but If HAL is doing that I’m glad to hear so.  I feel for the tour director who lost 29 out of her 32 person group because I imagine she won’t be getting her gratuity from those people.  I realize gratuity isn’t guaranteed but I imagine they rely on that much like other people working in the service industry. 

I’m glad to hear most people on your trip were masking.  I was shocked at the lack of it even from the get go on the ship to start and then on the land tour.  As time went on less and less seemed to bother wearing them.

HAL supplied 2 n95 masks in our stateroom upon embarking and I imagine they would have resupplied them if asked.  I brought packs of my own masks though.  Also they were available for free at the denali lodge in almost every shop and in the main lobby. 

Went today to the Discovery Paddle Wheeler and gold dredge. On our motor coach, only a few people wearing masks. We sat by ourselves for lunch, and only slipped our masks down to eat. We will see tomorrow if they state mandatory masks to go to Denali. I have a feeling a lot of people won’t be taking their cruise south next week.

• Like 1

As I mentioned would likely happen after Viking removed testing requirements, others will join. The first is CCL, which is removing testing on a P&0 ship temporarily to see how it goes....

"P&O Cruises, the largest UK-based cruise line, temporarily removes the testing mandate for at least one ship."

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-owned-cruise-line-temporarily-drops-pre-departure-testing/74640

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today we went to the Chalet. Even though we received the email about masks, only 7 people wearing masks on the coach. No one asked for our negative COVID results when we were in Fairbanks. I now know why so many people are testing positive before their cruise. At least half the people here, and also in Fairbanks, are on the tail end of their trip. They are all inside eating and drinking packed person to person. They had their fun so they really don’t care about the rest of us who haven’t had our trip. We have been wearing masks all the time, but I am afraid that we will test positive because of everyone else not caring. If HAL issues these mandates, and doesn’t enforce them on their coaches, do we have any recourse? They did NOT keep us safe! We are doing our part, but no one else is doing theirs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Today we went to the Chalet. Even though we received the email about masks, only 7 people wearing masks on the coach. No one asked for our negative COVID results when we were in Fairbanks. I now know why so many people are testing positive before their cruise. At least half the people here, and also in Fairbanks, are on the tail end of their trip. They are all inside eating and drinking packed person to person. They had their fun so they really don’t care about the rest of us who haven’t had our trip. We have been wearing masks all the time, but I am afraid that we will test positive because of everyone else not caring. If HAL issues these mandates, and doesn’t enforce them on their coaches, do we have any recourse? They did NOT keep us safe! We are doing our part, but no one else is doing theirs. 

In Alaska there is no mask mandate.  Holland America cannot enforce rules outside of their own property or property of their contracted agent.  It could all be resolved by the CDC removing the testing requirement or the cruise lines leaving the voluntary program

• Like 5

On 6/20/2022 at 11:56 AM, seaoma said:

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

In Alaska there is no mask mandate.  Holland America cannot enforce rules outside of their own property or property of their contracted agent.  It could all be resolved by the CDC removing the testing requirement or the cruise lines leaving the voluntary program

Yes, it could. Meanwhile, I think we are going to be screwed out of our vacation that we have saved for. But they aren’t enforcing it on their property or that of their contracted agent. At least if we test positive, I guess we are their problem and  they should refund us all of our money for the cruise. Too many mixed messages out there.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lvwindstar007 said:

Well we had about 7K in BA travel that expired for the second extension at the end of April this year so we found a cruise we liked (after canceling a Regent cruise) and went on a cruise tour anyway.  It worked for us but there were other couples stuck in Portugal or Spain for a few extra days.  We self tested positive on return home to Reno but were negative the day before travel home. YMMV

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Yes, it could. Meanwhile, I think we are going to be screwed out of our vacation that we have saved for. But they aren’t enforcing it on their property or that of their contracted agent. At least if we test positive, I guess we are their problem and  they should refund us all of our money for the cruise. Too many mixed messages out there.

I must be misreading.  You mention eating establishments.  That is not an agency relationship, that is a paid service.  Law is a fine line.  We encountered this on our excursions with another line in Europe.  They had simply hired a bus service but did not contract for a period. The bus company and their employees refused to enforce masks that were not mandated by the local government.

I understand those who don’t like this but I truly believe travel is always and forever “you are on your own activity”. I guess that attitude  comes from years of wilderness travel where you truly are on your own.  I am sorry this headache is limiting your enjoyment.  Let’s hope you test negative and/or the order is removed this week.

I travel again at the end of next week and am holding out on my test to the last minute 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I must be misreading.  You mention eating establishments.  That is not an agency relationship, that is a paid service.  Law is a fine line.  We encountered this on our excursions with another line in Europe.  They had simply hired a bus service but did not contract for a period. The bus company and their employees refused to enforce masks that were not mandated by the local government.

I understand those who don’t like this but I truly believe travel is always and forever “you are on your own activity”. I guess that attitude  comes from years of wilderness travel where you truly are on your own.  I am sorry this headache is limiting your enjoyment.  Let’s hope you test negative and/or the order is removed this week.

I travel again at the end of next week and am holding out on my test to the last minute 

Mary, they have buses here in Alaska that say Holland America on them. I assumed they were their contracts agents. I know that restaurants and bars are potluck, and we just avoid them if possible. Just want to make it to our first ever cruise! In hindsight, we should have done it in reverse order. Too late, just trying to make the best of it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Mary, they have buses here in Alaska that say Holland America on them. I assumed they were their contracts agents. I know that restaurants and bars are potluck, and we just avoid them if possible. Just want to make it to our first ever cruise! In hindsight, we should have done it in reverse order. Too late, just trying to make the best of it!

Oh, ok. Yes on their buses they should follow their rules. I am not a fan of masks but am a firm believer in the no shoes, no service rights of a business on their own property.   Let us know how it works out and fingers crossed that the rule changes.  One thing that you might consider is doing your own antigen test for the pre cruise testing of that is possible .  They are available in drug stores 

Edited by Mary229

No sense traveling anymore if everyone is flipping over masks.  I think they should be worn but I don't rule the world.  Covid is everywhere.  No getting around it.  I'm beginning to think this is our forever.

t

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Except in the midst of a global pandemic. Have you ever traveled in one before? I haven't but I can understand that when there is an infectious disease that is transmissible by contact with the public, that maybe a little more care for our fellow man is warranted.

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

One thing that you might consider is doing your own antigen test for the pre cruise testing of that is possible .  They are available in drug stores 

How is that going to help? My next cruise that HAL is forcing me to go on, so I don't lose more than $10,000, I'm going to wear as much protection as I can and test every morning before I leave my cabin. But that doesn't help me all that much if a majority of my fellow cruisers are pretending it's 2019. If my social experiment fails, then I'm the only one that has to suffer the consequences.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Oh, ok. Yes on their buses they should follow their rules. I am not a fan of masks but am a firm believer in the no shoes, no service rights of a business on their own property.   Let us know how it works out and fingers crossed that the rule changes.  One thing that you might consider is doing your own antigen test for the pre cruise testing of that is possible .  They are available in drug stores 

Because we are on a land tour with HAL right now,  they use a testing service for everyone going on the cruise post-land. We brought tests, and will use them for our own info before their mandatory testing. We are just disappointed in the odds of us making it to the cruise with so many people on their properties who have already been on their cruise portion and have no regard for the pre-cruisers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Gray Lady, since you are a new cruiser, I would suggest you contact your travel agent first to complain, if you used one. Then try HAL Guest Relations and the HAL Mariner Society. Next social media is supposed to be big when you wish to air grievances, like Facebook and Twitter. Finally, try googling Class Action Lawsuits for Cruises. They do exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Except in the midst of a global pandemic. Have you ever traveled in one before? I haven't but I can understand that when there is an infectious disease that is transmissible by contact with the public, that maybe a little more care for our fellow man is warranted.

How is that going to help? My next cruise that HAL is forcing me to go on, so I don't lose more than $10,000, I'm going to wear as much protection as I can and test every morning before I leave my cabin. But that doesn't help me all that much if a majority of my fellow cruisers are pretending it's 2019. If my social experiment fails, then I'm the only one that has to suffer the consequences.

As I said earlier the CDC is establishing rules and masks are not part of that rule.  They are at the discretion of the travel company.  From reading these boards the last two years I assume most of you have great faith in the CDC following the science , a well loved phrase on these boards.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

As I said earlier the CDC is establishing rules and masks are not part of that rule.  They are at the discretion of the travel company.  From reading these boards the last two years I assume most of you have great faith in the CDC following the science , a well loved phrase on these boards.  

Some may, but I don't. I listen to the medical community involved with public health, not public health politicians.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Some may, but I don't. I listen to the medical community involved with public health, not public health politicians.

Perhaps but at least you understand the rules now and should plan travel or not accordingly.  I am sorry some were under the impression that there would be universal masking and based their decisions on that criteria.  I have not received the letter and can’t make a judgement on that.  When i booked all my 2022 travel i understood I would have to follow the rules and some of those rules might be unfortunate.  That said I only agreed to follow HAL’s rules and no more. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1