Crown princess changed to Royal for Alaska

fleeflicker

4 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

This notification gives us the answer.

ROYAL replaces CROWN for the original 7-night voyages (roundtrip Seattle).

CROWN will have new 10-night and 11-night voyages (roundtrip Vancouver).

image.png.181e0ab7943716b3275f84a6d9b1fdb7.png

Sounds like they put the bigger cruise ship in Seattle as they are getting more bookings there (easier for US Citizens to fly into an out of a US city)

We were on the dolphin deck too!! I have had a time with their customer service. Almost like it’s amateur hour. Thinking about switching to NCL. 

On 6/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, kgmaryland said:

I just spent 5 hours on the phone Friday to get 3 adjacent mini suites and an inside cabin across the hall for our family of 11 on 6/24/23 cruise. We will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary.  Royal Princess doesn't have mini suites on Dolphin deck so we'll have to be moved to a different deck. What are the chances that we will still be adjacent?

It was a mess a few months ago when Princess changed the 2022 Alaska sailings on the Crown to the Royal.  My parents and I had one rear-facing cabin and the aft-most side-facing cabin (the one with the extended balcony) on the same side of the ship.  That would have allowed us 270 degrees of viewing ability.

When we got swapped to the Royal, they gave us mid-ship balconies that weren't even adjacent to each other.  Our TA fought for us and managed to get us into two rear-facing cabins next to each other, but she and her supervisor really had to go to bat with Princess because they kept getting told that the cabins she wanted for us were "more expensive" and "a different category".

8 hours ago, caribill said:

For this year at least, many people have booked flights with airlines and arranged for vacation dates that meet the Crown sailings.

Switching to another cruise which may originate in a different city and on a different day can be costly for those who cannot easily change vacation dates and/or have non-refundable airline tickets.

These changes are for 2023 season pretty sure people can change their vacation plans a year out

31 minutes ago, pediem said:

It was a mess a few months ago when Princess changed the 2022 Alaska sailings on the Crown to the Royal.  My parents and I had one rear-facing cabin and the aft-most side-facing cabin (the one with the extended balcony) on the same side of the ship.  That would have allowed us 270 degrees of viewing ability.

When we got swapped to the Royal, they gave us mid-ship balconies that weren't even adjacent to each other.  Our TA fought for us and managed to get us into two rear-facing cabins next to each other, but she and her supervisor really had to go to bat with Princess because they kept getting told that the cabins she wanted for us were "more expensive" and "a different category".

I have been on hold for two hours. I am thinking Princess is not worth the hassle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avic77 said:

Sounds like they put the bigger cruise ship in Seattle as they are getting more bookings there (easier for US Citizens to fly into an out of a US city)

Princess will still have 3 ships (Grand, Sapphire, and Majestic) doing the Voyage of the Glaciers route between Vancouver and Whittier in 2023.  With  a fourth ship, the Crown, now doing a series of round trips from Vancouver, that represents a significant increase in capacity out of Vancouver - a bigger capacity increase than what Seattle would get from swapping the Crown for the Royal.

Princess makes a lot of money from the one-way cruises between Vancouver and Whittier since they can sell the pre- and post-cruise land tours.  

Nice to see more round trip options out of Vancouver, though.  Especially with ports other than just Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

• Thanks 1

I’m interested to see what they do with us. We had 3 obstructed ocean views booked for May 06 on the crown. 2 right next door and the third a few doors down. The Royal doesn’t have any ocean views… so we’ll have to be moved down to an interior or up to a balcony

7 minutes ago, sa212 said:

I’m interested to see what they do with us. We had 3 obstructed ocean views booked for May 06 on the crown. 2 right next door and the third a few doors down. The Royal doesn’t have any ocean views… so we’ll have to be moved down to an interior or up to a balcony

The Royal has a lot of balconies that are sold as obstructed, but many of them aren't obstructed much or even at all. My guess is that they'll put you all in some of those.

• Like 1

At first we were reassigned a standard balcony D720. It took me about 2 hours in chat with Princess but I did get an aft view cabin like I had booked on Crown princess. It's not the corner cabin since those are all suites on Royal but I am satisfied with the cabin we are booked in now, B736.

7 minutes ago, claudia814 said:

I got the email with the new booking number for the change from Crown to Royal May 20-27 but it won’t open. Says “can’t access” and it’s not showing up on Medallion. Are you able to get into your booking? Thanks. 

On Princess.com I could not. I get an error on the main site. Fortunately I can use the Travel agent portal but still had to contact customer service to make any changes as the updated ship isn't live for booking yet.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, claudia814 said:

I got the email with the new booking number for the change from Crown to Royal May 20-27 but it won’t open. Says “can’t access” and it’s not showing up on Medallion. Are you able to get into your booking? Thanks. 

Do you have a TA or CVP? You could call them to check. 
If not, Princess chat.

1 minute ago, claudia814 said:

I did check with PVP and she said she could see on her portal that everything was in place and she secured my favorite cabin. But she was told that bookings might not be operational until June 29th. 

Well, that’s great she could get your cabin.  Just hang in there. 

• Thanks 1

I contacted my PVP ( who is working on changing my cabin.  I went from deck 8 aft- one of those mini suites with the covered balconies- to deck 15 forward, right under the lido deck.  Uh no thanks.).  While she was on she discovered that shore excursions have been cancelled and refund to my cc is pending.  I have the receipts and will be ticked if the price increases when I try to rebook those shore excursions.  Oh and the water I purchased is also cancelled.

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

I contacted my PVP ( who is working on changing my cabin.  I went from deck 8 aft- one of those mini suites with the covered balconies- to deck 15 forward, right under the lido deck.  Uh no thanks.).  While she was on she discovered that shore excursions have been cancelled and refund to my cc is pending.  I have the receipts and will be ticked if the price increases when I try to rebook those shore excursions.  Oh and the water I purchased is also cancelled.

We have two rooms one of our transfers was cancelled.   We haven’t been assigned rooms yet

8 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Are they cancelling the ocean medallion orders when being switched from the Crown to the Royal?  Really wish it would all happen together rather than bits and pieces....

Probably, because its a different ship.

This is a massive undertaking.  

It will take a while for them to go through all the bookings, cabins, etc for all the dates involved for 2023.  I believe the target date is by July 15th.

Once that’s completed you’ll most likely have to treat it as a new booking.

Check everything, excursions, transfers, DMW, Ocean Medallion, MedallionNet, any onboard services you ordered, EZAIR, etc.

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Probably, because its a different ship.

This is a massive undertaking.  

It will take a while for them to go through all the bookings, cabins, etc for all the dates involved for 2023.  I believe the target date is by July 15th.

Once that’s completed you’ll most likely have to treat it as a new booking.

Check everything, excursions, transfers, DMW, Ocean Medallion, MedallionNet, any onboard services you ordered, EZAIR, etc.

Thanks.  I figured.  Boy what a mess....

Update: after hours on chat and making sure we had the assigned cabin B736 I happened to log in this morning and see that we were moved to a "Guaranteed MC" and upcharged $600. So I spent 2 more hours on chat getting that reversed 

MC mini suites are all directly under pool decks and not at all our idea of a good cabin location. 

Edited by avic77
Typo

On 6/18/2022 at 5:38 PM, avic77 said:

Update: after hours on chat and making sure we had the assigned cabin B736 I happened to log in this morning and see that we were moved to a "Guaranteed MC" and upcharged $600. So I spent 2 more hours on chat getting that reversed 

MC mini suites are all directly under pool decks and not at all our idea of a good cabin location. 

Upcharge!!!OMG

We have two room and both on the dolphin deck. Now we have one on the marina deck and the other on the riviera deck. I paid more to be on the dolphin deck. Why they heck would they think I would want to be near the panoramic lifts?  

I was quite shocked to see the increased total. I'm not sure what happened within the reassignment phase but that was a no go for us. Hopefully our room assignment is all settled not but I will keep close watch

Edited by avic77