Did HAL just change the Covid Testing window?

PACD_JG

Coming up on my Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, and I would have sworn that for those fully vaccinated and current on boosters were allowed to get an antigen test 72 hours prior.  But according to their pdf on their website updated 06/14 - "Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

Is that a change for HAL or I am incorrect?

Also, my Walgreens only has PCR (no thanks since results may take 48 hours) and Rapid NAAT (results in 2 hours) tests.  No Antigen.  Would a Rapid NAAT satisfy the requirement?

1 minute ago, PACD_JG said:

Coming up on my Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, and I would have sworn that for those fully vaccinated and current on boosters were allowed to get an antigen test 72 hours prior.  But according to their pdf on their website updated 06/14 - "Guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing or a medically observed antigen test within 2 days before sailing."

Also, my Walgreens only has PCR (no thanks since results may take 48 hours) and Rapid NAAT (results in 2 hours) tests.  No Antigen.  Would a Rapid NAAT satisfy the requirement?

I think that HAL made the change only for Alaska/Canada cruises.  The other ones out of the US are still at 3 days (as I read it).  The Rapid NAAT should be fine - many people here on CC have used it from Walgreens.

HAL posted a new policy yesterday.  Here is a section from FAQ:

Guests embarking from a U.S. port that does not include Canada in the itinerary:

All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 antigen or PCR test within 2 days prior to sailing. The test may be taken on Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

9 minutes ago, summer slope said:

So does this mean the proctored emed Covid 19 Ag test can be done 3 days before. We are vaccinated and boosted. 

Not if you are boarding in Canada , then the antigen is 2 days

Edited by Mary229

So EU requirements for pre-cruise COVID testing withing 72 hours of embarkation is still in place?  I am also on an upcoming Viking cruise, and when I bring up this EU requirement for cruises leaving EU country ports I've been attacked.

• Like 1

Received some clarification on EU European Cruise Protocol applicability.  After speaking with Viking rep, I was informed that Viking is no longer requiring or verifying pre-cruise COVID testing but apparently HAL and other cruise lines are.  Apparently, EU Cruise Protocol, like CDC guidance for cruise lines sailing from US ports, is voluntarily, and HAL and other lines have chosen to follow while other lines have chosen not to.  Confusing since I have upcoming European cruises on 3 different cruises.

EU guidance posted on HAL website apparently was just updated (June 2022), but only change is testing from Greece.  So, I guess I will need to schedule NAAT test for July 2022 cruise out of Rotterdam.

EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_June2022.pdf 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, Kamfish642 said:

Received some clarification on EU European Cruise Protocol applicability.  After speaking with Viking rep, I was informed that Viking is no longer requiring or verifying pre-cruise COVID testing but apparently HAL and other cruise lines are.  Apparently, EU Cruise Protocol, like CDC guidance for cruise lines sailing from US ports, is voluntarily, and HAL and other lines have chosen to follow while other lines have chosen not to.  Confusing since I have upcoming European cruises on 3 different cruises.

EU guidance posted on HAL website apparently was just updated (June 2022), but only change is testing from Greece.  So, I guess I will need to schedule NAAT test for July 2022 cruise out of Rotterdam.

EUHG_Operational_guidelines_CoV_June2022.pdf 

Yes, HAL actuallyupdated this yesterday although it really has not changed it what in previously stated.

All guests ages five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises except for embarkations in Greece which requires a two day medically observed antigen test or a 3-day PCR COVID-19 test.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption, including children ages 5-11, will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to a negative pre-cruise PCR test result taken within three days before embarkation. Charges may apply. 

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airlines requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit. Details continue to be updated regularly; official websites and apps developed by government agencies and tourism ministries are the recommended resources. 

But that is not to say that they still could change the testing, even eliminate it prior to our cruise. (Although I highly doubt they will) Viking just changed a few days ago for Europe sailings. Because of when we leave the US and Arrive in Amsterdam we will have to be tested in Amsterdam.

I want to clarify one thing. The Walgreens NAAT test is under the PCR umbrella so may be done 72 hours before boarding.  It is NOT an antigen but a PCR. 

We did our Walgreens NAAT test on a Wednesday evening before our Vancouver Saturday departure two weeks ago.  We did take the time difference into consideration so took the tests at 4:30 p.m. as our boarding time was noon. However, from lots of other posts Verifly has no idea of your boarding time so we probably would have been fine doing the test earlier in the day.

Edited by kentuckycruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, PACD_JG said:

the Walgreens NAAT test is used by a good percentage of people who cruise. It is under the PCR umbrella.