Port of Miami boarding process

cb2367

I'm still a few months out from my next cruise, but I'm trying to get an understanding of what the "new" boarding process is like.

It used to be that the idea was to get to the terminal as early as possible, check in, and get and try to get a low boarding group number.

Are there now pre determined time slots at which you arrive and complete the check in? Also, as far as vax requirements, are boosters a requirement?

When I cruised from Miami in March I had to select a check-in time but nobody was verifying that I wasn't too early.  I didn't get through the doors into the hall before that time anyway.  They verified boarding pass, vaccination status and negative test then sent me up to security and check-in.

Yes, you get a boarding group number and they were being pretty strict about only those in the current group being in the line to board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cb2367 said:

Are there now pre determined time slots at which you arrive and complete the check in? Also, as far as vax requirements, are boosters a requirement?

Some of the required procedures seem to be changing, so answers today might be completely incorrect in the weeks/months ahead.

However, if you are not in a suite, and/or do not have any "status perks," your best bet is to secure the earliest time slot available by logging into your account and completing your "Check-In" at 21 days prior to your cruise.

Meanwhile, monitor NCL's website "SAFE SAIL" procedure's (click on link at the top left- hand side of NCL.com).

• Like 1

@ggTexasGal summed it up well.

The embarkation order is Haven Suites, Latitudes levels (highest gets priority over the lower levels), then the rest go for boarding.  Used to be able to show up when you wanted, first come-first served.  That’s no longer the case.  You’ll be assigned a boarding time upon check in.  It goes much quicker if you show up at that time to embark.  I saw people put in another line to wait when they showed up too early.

Sail Safe in general means you have to show proof of full COVID vaccination(s) administered at least 2 weeks before embarkation.  If sailing in North American (including Caribbean) no boosters are required.  Bermuda seems to be in flux, so check with Bermuda’s requirements specifically if sailing there.

You must also have proof of a negative Antigen or PCR COVID test two days before embarkation.  You can go to your healthcare provider for that, or to your local CVS/Walgreens to have that done.  You CAN NOT just use one of those quick self tests.  It must be proctored.  There are proctored tests available to purchase from the Sail Safe site.  Or, you can get them from Emed.com, too.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#t4m1

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

We sailed on Breakaway from Miami a few weeks ago. In the past we have always tried to arrive at the terminal as early as possible, regardless of cruise line or departure port. This time we drove, so I chose a port arrival time of 12:00-12:30pm. We got to the parking garage at about 12:10pm, and the lines to show documents and check in were relatively short. After we checked in, we were able to walk right onto the ship with no wait. We went straight to Garden Cafe to have lunch, and while we were eating we heard the announcement that rooms were ready. It was one of our most efficient boarding experiences to date. Of course YMMV, but things went so smoothly that we may continue to choose a similar arrival time in the future. For us, the lack of waiting offset any extra time we might have had on the ship had we chosen an earlier arrival time.

22 hours ago, cb2367 said:

I'm still a few months out from my next cruise, but I'm trying to get an understanding of what the "new" boarding process is like. It used to be that the idea was to get to the terminal as early as possible, check in, and get and try to get a low boarding group number. Are there now pre determined time slots at which you arrive and complete the check in? Also, as far as vax requirements, are boosters a requirement?

The process is now the "old" process. There have been time to arrive at port for several years, never enforced and they are back to that.