Wondering Why?? (Mobile)

Tradestock

Just wondering, why do the ships sailing out of Mobile have limited bar set up in the port and bay?  It appears full bar set up has to wait until international waters. Hoping for some good links to Prohibition era type legislation similar to, "You can only get tipsy on Johnny's bathtub gin, not Jimmy's homemade whiskey."  Hope everyone is having a great and happy weekend.😊

It is because alcohol sold in Alabama waters have to be purchased through the state beverage control board so it is limit to those. Once the ship gets into international waters then the ship can sell booze purchased on the open market. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Alabama wants tax revenue for all liquor sold in their waters and liquor must be purchased within the taxing authority. Pretty sure just about every state has a form of this policy and some liquor laws even get more restrictive like New York and Texas.

47 minutes ago, Tradestock said:

Mobile has Cheers, plus tax, on day one.  It is limited by the types of alcohol that are sold.  Ya Man, no Red Stripe for you (until a few miles out).

If they can make fun ships, I'll get by.

• Haha 1

Even on land, Alabama has some restrictive laws regarding the sale of alcoholic beverages. Certain items can only be purchased in the state-owned ABC stores - imported beers used to be like that through at least the late 1980s if not into the 1990s.

• Like 1

The liquor sold must have an Alabama state liquor tax seal, so the cruise lines limit the selection of what they pay taxes on.  All other liquor, is completely tax and customs duty free, so is about 30-40% of the cost of the taxed liquor.

• Thanks 1

We used to live in a dry county in Kentucky.  We had to drive a whole one mile across the county line, or use Class Six.  We really laughed when we went to the Diamond mine in AR, and sure enough we found another dry county.  We had to road trip to TX. 

I do agree about the Alabama liquor laws because I tried to purchase Ouzo online and it could only be shipped to the state ABC store.  In person, I would have to produce ID, pay the tax and answer pertinent questions under a bright spotlight about Ouzo and Oysters Rockefeller.  Once again, Class Six came through.  I forgot about this, and thank everybody for their answers.

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Does Alabama have the same deal Texas has with no Cheers day 1?

Cheers is good on day one. The variety of liquor is limited to what has been purchased through a vendor that sells Alabama taxed liquor.