Mahogany Bay questions

KKB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been trying to find information on Mahogany Beach as we're on Carnival Pride in January for a western Caribbean cruise. We visited Mahogany beach in 2017 and we did a great snorkel right off the beach, but we had to walk down to a wooden pier that was past all the lounges and clamshells.  We'd love to do this again off the Pride, but we see no one mentioning snorkeling in the Mahogany Beach reviews except some say there is not much to see??  Yes, right off the where the lounges are, it's just sand and not a whole lot; but off that pier was some pretty good size coral heads leading off into a channel and great snorkeling as mentioned.

So, the question here, is that pier still there, and is it still accessible to the general cruise public?  Maybe because it was a pretty good walk, a lot of snorkelers fail to find it?  But it's been some time since we've been there, and perhaps people are no longer allowed out there or something?  It's material to us, as if it's no longer accessible [the pier], we might just decide to head to tabyiana beach instead.  Thanks in advance for any information on that pier and if it's still accessible.  Good sailing to all.  

We've been to MB a few times since the restart.  One of those times we walked all the way down to the end of the beach area and walked out onto that pier you are referring to.  We didn't stay long because there was a HORRIBLE sewage smell on that end.  It had rained in MB really hard the night before, and the area behind and at the end of the beach was like a swamp and smelled terrible.  That was just a freak thing I guess.  Anyway, everything seems to be the same at MB as it was before the shutdown as I recall.  Hopefully others can confirm.  Happy cruising to you!

12 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Been trying to find information on Mahogany Beach as we're on Carnival Pride in January for a western Caribbean cruise. We visited Mahogany beach in 2017 and we did a great snorkel right off the beach, but we had to walk down to a wooden pier that was past all the lounges and clamshells.  We'd love to do this again off the Pride, but we see no one mentioning snorkeling in the Mahogany Beach reviews except some say there is not much to see??  Yes, right off the where the lounges are, it's just sand and not a whole lot; but off that pier was some pretty good size coral heads leading off into a channel and great snorkeling as mentioned.

So, the question here, is that pier still there, and is it still accessible to the general cruise public?  Maybe because it was a pretty good walk, a lot of snorkelers fail to find it?  But it's been some time since we've been there, and perhaps people are no longer allowed out there or something?  It's material to us, as if it's no longer accessible [the pier], we might just decide to head to tabyiana beach instead.  Thanks in advance for any information on that pier and if it's still accessible.  Good sailing to all.  

I can not help you with current conditions at Mahogany Bay but if you have not been to Tabyana/West Bay snorkeling..I would very much like you to go. I would like to hear your impresssions West Bay ve Mahogany Bay snorkeling. Many believe West Bay to be the best of the easy to access spots about the island. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2023 at 8:27 AM, Guest 2000 said:

I can not help you with current conditions at Mahogany Bay but if you have not been to Tabyana/West Bay snorkeling..I would very much like you to go. I would like to hear your impresssions West Bay ve Mahogany Bay snorkeling. Many believe West Bay to be the best of the easy to access spots about the island. 

WE just got back from the Carnival Jubilee.... went to Tabyana beach when in Roatan, and LOVED it.  Totally chill vibe.  I did a video on that and will post soon if anyone is interested.

10 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

WE just got back from the Carnival Jubilee.... went to Tabyana beach when in Roatan, and LOVED it.  Totally chill vibe.  I did a video on that and will post soon if anyone is interested.

Have you snorkeled Mahogany Bay as well? I would like impressions of MB vs West Bay.  

Just as a follow up to our own post about Mahogany Bay snorkel questions...YES that pier is still there and readily accessible, though now you have to venture 'around' behind the cabanas to get to that portion of the beach. The cabanas were new [from our 2017 visit] and we found Mahagony a really nice beach with plenty of lounges.  I think the docks there can only handle two ships at a time [not sure on that]...but we didn't feel crowded at all with 2 ships in.  They even post a life guard on the pier and there's ladders at the end.   

Yes, those coral heads were still there, straight out from that pier and following the channel where it drops off.  Unfortunately, we had stormy weather that week, so the water was not as clear we'd have liked with maybe 10' or less visibility  in places.  The coral heads are impressive in places, almost like canyons as you glide between them.  We didn't see as many tropicals that one might expect with such large coral beds, but plenty of schooling, parrots, tangs, and damsel fish.  Not a bad snorkel really even with a bit of murky water.  Our next visit to Roatan, we plan to visit that Tabyana beach we've read several raves about.  In the meantime, Mahagony was quite nice for us and now one of our favorite port beaches, especially for snorkeling.  Hope this helps someone [posted 3/1/2024].  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...