Which to choose? Aft Balcony or Forward Suite

avic77

49 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

For Glacier Bay day I would opt for the Forward cabin.  For the rest of the week I would go with the aft one.

If only I could do 2 cabins 😂

I would recommend figuring out where the crew smoking deck is.  We had an Aft balcony suite on the Grand Princess and the view was amazing (I prefer aft of forward usually), but the crew smoking deck was a few decks right below us, and it was not pleasant having that smell routinely wafting up.  It didn't ruin the balcony or anything, we still used it plenty, but we often found ourselves wrinkling our noses at the odor.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, avic77 said:

If only I could do 2 cabins 😂

What I meant was that if the Glacier viewing was VERY important to you, go for the forward, but otherwise I would take the aft cabin.  Only you can decide.

Just came back from 19 day Alaska cruisetour.  We went to deck 7 bow (compared to deck 5 bow, less sun exposure and less crowded) during forward viewing, went back to aft balcony enjoying hours of backward viewing as the ship sailed away from glaciers and bay.  

Report linked below with some pictures from aft balcony fyi.

We are true aft cruisers (faces the wake of the ship).  DH won't even get on a ship unless they have aft cabins.  Have cruised Alaska twice with an aft and am going again July 2023

2 hours ago, quack2 said:

I found the aft balcony very boring.  I can only stare at the wake for so long.

Next time (if there is one), I'm going back to my balcony on either side of ship.

So looking at one side is more interesting ?? From our true afts we've been able to see not only the wake, but both sides as well.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

So looking at one side is more interesting ?? From our true afts we've been able to see not only the wake, but both sides as well.

Yes.  To me, one side is more interesting.  I like to know where I'm going; not where I've been. 

39 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Yes.  To me, one side is more interesting.  I like to know where I'm going; not where I've been. 

Then RCI has cabins that face the front...sounds like you might enjoy those.

On Alaska cruises you will see porpoises and Orca whales from the port and starboard sides of the ship but not so much from the aft as these marine mammals don't  seem to like the ship's wake. If this is not important to you then enjoy the aft stateroom. 

We had the most forward side cabin on Millennium on our Alaska cruise. If your cruise ever heads out into open waters...like the Gulf of Alaska, then beware of the greater movement of the front of the ship. My DH suffers from motion sickness and he couldn't be in our cabin when we were sailing in the unprotected waters. It wasn't an issue in the inside passage.

If your cruise goes to Skagway...the sailaway there is gorgeous. I watched from the Sunset bar for the entire time. Views are spectacular and the passage is narrow so you can really appreciate both sides from the aft.

Although I love aft balconies, the advantage to a forward cabin is that the naturalist onboard, assuming that you have one, will be pointing out things looking towards the front of the ship. So not just for glaciers but for whatever else they are seeing- whales, eagles, special scenery.

Agree if you are going to be sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island you may hit rough seas in the open ocean which can be an issue. 

So- sorry but it does appear that you will simply need two cabins!😉