The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Unfortunately people have hidden disabilities. Someone looking able bodied to you may have serious problems you can't see. It's very discriminatory to judge just by looks.  And before you mention it, yes there are lanyards but why should those with hidden problems have to wear that label all the time, you wouldn't expect me at 66 to walk around with a label saying I'm old.

66 is not old !!!😃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

66 is not old !!!😃

Believe me there's lots of days when I feel it!  I've always had the good luck (or misfortune) to look far younger than I am and am constantly scowled at in lifts on cruise ships as a result. 

Edited by Megabear2

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Unfortunately people have hidden disabilities. Someone looking able bodied to you may have serious problems you can't see. It's very discriminatory to judge just by looks.  And before you mention it, yes there are lanyards but why should those with hidden problems have to wear that label all the time, you wouldn't expect me at 66 to walk around with a label saying I'm old.

I agree Megabear. I struggle with stairs and walking long distances as I have arthritis in both knees. I would hate to be judged for using lifts as I look perfectly healthy.

We have just got back from Arcadia and we will not be sailing on her again. Apart from the Headliners who we thought were great, we found the entertainment to be lacking. As this ship does not have a real alternative to the theatre we often found ourselves quite bored in the evenings.

We think the ship needs upgrading. We had problems with our aircon and so did our friends. They also had ongoing problems with their toilet. The crew were all lovely though.

We have future cruises booked on Iona, Arvia and our favourite Aurora so we are confident that they will suit our needs.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Believe me there's lots of days when I feel it!  I've always had the good luck (or misfortune) to look far younger than I am and am constantly scowled at in lifts on cruise ships as a result. 

Our reasoning is that we are in pretty good health and as such we can walk up and down stairs, maybe not as fast as we used to and sometimes when going up twelve plus flights we may have to stop for a breather, and depriving people who rely on the lifts is not for us, It is of course up to every individual to make their own choices but the exercise keeps us as fit as possible, and keeps the pounds off the waistline, especially on a cruise!!! As for mobility scooters they are the same as drivers , some good ,some bad. 

6 minutes ago, Danamis said:

I agree Megabear. I struggle with stairs and walking long distances as I have arthritis in both knees. I would hate to be judged for using lifts as I look perfectly healthy.

We have just got back from Arcadia and we will not be sailing on her again. Apart from the Headliners who we thought were great, we found the entertainment to be lacking. As this ship does not have a real alternative to the theatre we often found ourselves quite bored in the evenings.

We think the ship needs upgrading. We had problems with our aircon and so did our friends. They also had ongoing problems with their toilet. The crew were all lovely though.

We have future cruises booked on Iona, Arvia and our favourite Aurora so we are confident that they will suit our needs.

Interesting comments regarding Arcadia entertainment, were there no other artist's on board ,IE Comedians, Singers, tribute acts etc. What were the problems with the aircon, not working at all or to hot or cold? 

32 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Interesting comments regarding Arcadia entertainment, were there no other artist's on board ,IE Comedians, Singers, tribute acts etc. What were the problems with the aircon, not working at all or to hot or cold? 

I think the issue with Arcadia is that she doesn't have a decent show-lounge, just the Globe which is small with a minute stage. All the other ships, even Aurora, have a good show-lounge able to stage small scale shows.

Poor old Arcadia has always seemed to be a little bit 'runt of the litter' after no-one really wanting her when she was being planned and built. She has some lovely interior spaces but considering she is younger than Aurora has been - at times - beset with problems.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Danamis said:

We had problems with our aircon

We had the same issue back in March. In our case, we couldn't adjust the temperature to warm the cabin up. The cabin was freezing! 

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

think the issue with Arcadia is that she doesn't have a decent show-lounge, just the Globe which is small with a minute stage

I'm sure we've seen singers in the Crows Nest. OK, it is not enormous,  but probably holds 250 or so. 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure we've seen singers in the Crows Nest. OK, it is not enormous,  but probably holds 250 or so. 

Yes, no doubt. Plenty of venues for singers/musicians but only one space for anything more than that.

52 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Our reasoning is that we are in pretty good health and as such we can walk up and down stairs, maybe not as fast as we used to and sometimes when going up twelve plus flights we may have to stop for a breather, and depriving people who rely on the lifts is not for us, It is of course up to every individual to make their own choices but the exercise keeps us as fit as possible, and keeps the pounds off the waistline, especially on a cruise!!! As for mobility scooters they are the same as drivers , some good ,some bad. 

Good on you for being able to walk unhindered.  I do not consider myself as depriving anyone when I use the lift, particularly as I say the ones I tend to use are normally empty.  It is a common sense approach. I spent years pushing my mother in her wheelchair both on the ship and ashore and therefore fully appreciate the difficulties. I do not however judge anyone able bodied or not.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, on 5th July cruise (so first one back after lay off) there was entertainment in the Globe (mainly the showband Pulse, but others too), there were singers/musicians/quizzes in most if not all venues throughout the evening. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

I think the issue with Arcadia is that she doesn't have a decent show-lounge, just the Globe which is small with a minute stage. All the other ships, even Aurora, have a good show-lounge able to stage small scale shows.

Poor old Arcadia has always seemed to be a little bit 'runt of the litter' after no-one really wanting her when she was being planned and built. She has some lovely interior spaces but considering she is younger than Aurora has been - at times - beset with problems.

But she does have the best theatre in the fleet.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Good on you for being able to walk unhindered.  I do not consider myself as depriving anyone when I use the lift, particularly as I say the ones I tend to use are normally empty.  It is a common sense approach. I spent years pushing my mother in her wheelchair both on the ship and ashore and therefore fully appreciate the difficulties. I do not however judge anyone able bodied or not.

Exactly Megabear. I pushed myself too much when we did the USA/Canada cruise in 2019 and tried to walk through the pain. Two days after I got home I was shopping and could not walk another step and had to go to A and E. This was followed by a week in bed with a knee that I couldn't physically straighten. I go to a gym for gentle excercise now.

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Yes, on 5th July cruise (so first one back after lay off) there was entertainment in the Globe (mainly the showband Pulse, but others too), there were singers/musicians/quizzes in most if not all venues throughout the evening. 

We did look in on the Globe and spent evenings in the Crow's Nest but this did not compare with the shows we have seen in the show lounges on other ships. We saw Rob West in the Havana lounge on Ventura this year and he was fabulous. We also saw guest comedians in there and a female rock band.

2 hours ago, Danamis said:

We did look in on the Globe and spent evenings in the Crow's Nest but this did not compare with the shows we have seen in the show lounges on other ships. We saw Rob West in the Havana lounge on Ventura this year and he was fabulous. We also saw guest comedians in there and a female rock band.

That's good to know ,thank you, we have enjoyed shows in the globe in the past, just needed clarification that other venues were operating😃

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But she does have the best theatre in the fleet.

I do agree with you in many ways but it has too many pillars interrupting sight-lines and the 'floating' boxes have those plastic screens that distort the view (unless they've been changed - it's been a long time since I've sailed on her)...

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I do agree with you in many ways but it has too many pillars interrupting sight-lines and the 'floating' boxes have those plastic screens that distort the view (unless they've been changed - it's been a long time since I've sailed on her)...

The plastic screens are still there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Arcadia end of month and going with first time cruiser. Although we have sailed before it was pre covid so I just want to clarify what is/isn't available as our friend is asking.

.. Is there any soap or shampoo in the bathroom and shower?

.. Is free bottled water still in cabin on arrival? Can you still request a bucket of ice?

.. Do you still receive a daily timetable of events?

..  Will towels only be changed on request? If so who do you ask if you don't see your steward?

.. Do you have to use the 'app' to book a table if on Freedom.? If you don't use the app can you turn up and get a pager?

.. Can you still request a change of table or sitting ?

.. Is there still a safety drill before sailing?

..  Do you still receive a statement of your onboard spend on the last night?

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

On Arcadia end of month and going with first time cruiser. Although we have sailed before it was pre covid so I just want to clarify what is/isn't available as our friend is asking.

.. Is free bottled water still in cabin on arrival? Can you still request a bucket of ice?

..  Will towels only be changed on request? If so who do you ask if you don't see your steward?

.. Do you have to use the 'app' to book a table if on Freedom.? If you don't use the app can you turn up and get a pager?

Thanks in advance.

Yes

Yes, but they are cans now. Yes

Yes

If you want towels changed leave them in shower or bath.

Don't know

Yes

No.  On boarding you go to your muster station to get your boarding pass scanned (proves you know where it is), then proceed to cabin where safety video will be playing on TV.

Yes

27 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

liquid soap and shampoo in shower, you can request rablet soap and face cloths from your steward.

canned water now 1 free can, yes ice can be requested 

yes the horizon is delivered every evening

if you leave the towel in the shower or bath they will be replaced.

the app is easy to use, but if you turn up they will seat you.

the Maitre D will change your dining if yher is room.

no you just check into the muster station after you board then watch the safety video in your cabin.

we did on Britannia, but some have said they didn't receive one.

Thanks in advance.

Hope that answers your queries.

Small additional point - we had 2 free cans of water in the fridge, so I assume it is one can per person.

Towels - yes, literally leave those you want changing thrown in the bath or on the floor of the shower - not folded neatly! - and the steward will automatically remove and replace them.

We had a printed statement on the last night too - on Aurora in July. If you use the app you can see the details and summary at any time of day or night as the cruise progresses - useful if you have a lot of OBC that you are having trouble spending, as we did, not being drinkers, nor wanting to buy art, jewelry, etc. and having pre-booked and paid for tours prior to boarding to get the discount.

If you have a smart phone but are not sure how to connect to the app, once on board simply go to reception and they will set it up for you - best to do this on the first sea day (usually Day 2) rather than on Day 1, to avoid queueing too long.

We asked the cabin steward for flannels and round soaps more than once - no issues.

And don't forget to hide the cabin biscuits in a drawer every day so they get replenished every day. Or you could eat them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Small additional point - we had 2 free cans of water in the fridge, so I assume it is one can per person.

Towels - yes, literally leave those you want changing thrown in the bath or on the floor of the shower - not folded neatly! - and the steward will automatically remove and replace them.

We had a printed statement on the last night too - on Aurora in July. If you use the app you can see the details and summary at any time of day or night as the cruise progresses - useful if you have a lot of OBC that you are having trouble spending, as we did, not being drinkers, nor wanting to buy art, jewelry, etc. and having pre-booked and paid for tours prior to boarding to get the discount.

If you have a smart phone but are not sure how to connect to the app, once on board simply go to reception and they will set it up for you - best to do this on the first sea day (usually Day 2) rather than on Day 1, to avoid queueing too long.

We asked the cabin steward for flannels and round soaps more than once - no issues.

And don't forget to hide the cabin biscuits in a drawer every day so they get replenished every day. Or you could eat them!

Just for clarification. Do you have to be signed into the ship's WiFi system before you can use the App to book restaurants, theatre slots etc.

When last on board Arcadia I seem to remember that to WiFi was offered in 24hr tranches at a fixed price. At the time it seemed a tad expensive to me bearing in mind that you would be asleep or dining or on an excursion etc for a good chunk of that 24hrs. So effectively you were paying in part for a service that you could not use.

In the end I think I just signed up for the occasional 24hr time period when I wanted to check emails or contact family at home via WhatsApp. I know you can book for a full cruise coverage but thaere again it seemed a bit of a rip-off in my opinion.

So what it boils down to is this. If you want to book things over the duration of your cruise using the App, you are more or less forced to sign up for the P&O WiFi.

If you don't want to use the App, can you still book dining slots at the MDR and/or the specialty restaurants by telephone or in person.

5 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Just for clarification. Do you have to be signed into the ship's WiFi system before you can use the App to book restaurants, theatre slots etc.

When last on board Arcadia I seem to remember that to WiFi was offered in 24hr tranches at a fixed price. At the time it seemed a tad expensive to me bearing in mind that you would be asleep or dining or on an excursion etc for a good chunk of that 24hrs. So effectively you were paying in part for a service that you could not use.

In the end I think I just signed up for the occasional 24hr time period when I wanted to check emails or contact family at home via WhatsApp. I know you can book for a full cruise coverage but thaere again it seemed a bit of a rip-off in my opinion.

So what it boils down to is this. If you want to book things over the duration of your cruise using the App, you are more or less forced to sign up for the P&O WiFi.

If you don't want to use the App, can you still book dining slots at the MDR and/or the specialty restaurants by telephone or in person.

As I understand it, no, you don't need to purchase wifi access to get into this particular bit of the system.