The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 4th, 2022

richwmn

A bit more explanation perhaps.  When I saw @srdancer post I had heard nothing about the shooting and the idea of restricting gun sales to those over 150 brought to mind some codger wheeling his walker into a gun store on his 150'th birthday and calling out "It's my birthday and I want my AK47.  and that image tickled my funny bone.  And to me that little touch of humor moved the needle from a direct political comment that might have offended some and made the subject a little less political while still getting the point across.

Don't really get a lot of instant news on the ship and hadn't heard of the horror that inspired the comment, and there's definitely nothing funny about that, not to mention 2 or 3 other mass shootings the same day.

I don't no if we have any big gun rights advocates among the dailyites and I think the benefits of keeping this space non-political vastly outweigh the value of an outright political comment and pushing some people away.  It's still very important that we keep talking.

I'm a bit sensitive to this as I have a gun rights person in my own family.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A bit more explanation perhaps.  When I saw @srdancer post I had heard nothing about the shooting and the idea of restricting gun sales to those over 150 brought to mind some codger wheeling his walker into a gun store on his 150'th birthday and calling out "It's my birthday and I want my AK47.  and that image tickled my funny bone.  And to me that little touch of humor moved the needle from a direct political comment that might have offended some and made the subject a little less political while still getting the point across.

Don't really get a lot of instant news on the ship and hadn't heard of the horror that inspired the comment, and there's definitely nothing funny about that, not to mention 2 or 3 other mass shootings the same day.

I don't no if we have any big gun rights advocates among the dailyites and I think the benefits of keeping this space non-political vastly outweigh the value of an outright political comment and pushing some people away.  It's still very important that we keep talking.

Roy

I look at it this way:   Gun violence is a social issue, not a political one.   Discussing solutions to gun violence is discussing a social issue.  There are those who want to politicize it, but if we are ever going to control gun violence, we have to keep talking.  And calling.  And writing.  And praying.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

And calling.  And writing.

Agreed, because thoughts and prayers are not enough.

Some suggestions:

We need to turn off our TVs, put down our phones, and engage in civil discourse. 

We need to encourage the best people we know to run for office and serve

We need to go all-in on public education.

We need to bring back respect for ourselves and others. 

Each of us must look at ourselves in the mirror and ask, what more can I do? Maybe that means volunteering in our community. Maybe that means mentoring a young person. Maybe that means picking one charity each month to support. Maybe that means running for office. Maybe that means changing careers to one where we help others. Whatever it is, each of us must sacrifice some of our time, money, or energy to help become healthy again. And we must do it together. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Gun violence is a social issue, not a political one.   Discussing solutions to gun violence is discussing a social issue. 

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Each of us must look at ourselves in the mirror and ask, what more can I do? Maybe that means volunteering in our community. Maybe that means mentoring a young person. Maybe that means picking one charity each month to support. Maybe that means running for office. Maybe that means changing careers to one where we help others. Whatever it is, each of us must sacrifice some of our time, money, or energy to help become healthy again. And we must do it together. 

Agreed.

Perhaps, on this day -- the day after our Independence Day -- our country can begin to find a better direction, a more lasting solution. That would be a true tribute to the founding of our country.

-Melisa 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

In the UK Roy it is a 5 year prison sentence for carrying a gun.

We don't have the fascination of owning a gun unless it is people who have illegal intents.

It is so sad to hear about all the mass shootings at parades and in High Schools.

Graham.

• Like 6