No More Pre-Cruise Covid Test

Unfortunately, cruises departing from the US, Canada, Greece and Bermuda will still require the pre-cruise testI guess because of regulations in those countries.  

Edited by FengShui@Sea

10 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Unfortunately, cruises departing from the US, Canada, Greece and Bermuda will still require the pre-cruise testI guess because of regulations in those countries.  

You are correct.  I  ought to read more than the first paragraph!

MIAMI, July 06, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NCLH) (the “Company”) today announced it will no longer require guests to complete pre-cruise COVID-19 testing unless required by local regulations. This policy will go into effect across Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH), Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises beginning August 1, 2022. The pre-embarkation testing requirement will remain in place for guests currently traveling on voyages departing from destinations with local testing regulations, including but not limited to the U.S., Canada, Greece and Bermuda. The relaxation of the testing policy is in line with the rest of the travel, leisure and hospitality industry worldwide as society continues to adapt and return to a state of normalcy. The Company continues to strongly recommend all guests be up to date on vaccination protocols and test at their convenience prior to travel.

Per email received  from Regent:

Dear Luxury Traveler,

I write to you today to share an important update regarding our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing policy.

Beginning on August 1, 2022, we will no longer require our guests to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test result prior to embarkation, subject to local regulations.

There are a small number of cruises — including certain voyages that begin in Canada, Greece and the United States — where guests may still be required to produce evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result within a specified timeframe upon embarkation. These requirements will be highlighted for the guests on those voyages at least 30 days prior to sailing.

As always, your health and well-being, as well as that of our crew and the communities we visit remains at the forefront of providing you with an unrivaled experience. This important change to our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing policy is in line with the broader global travel industry as we all continue to adapt and return to a sense of normalcy.

If you would like more information about this or any of our other health and safety policies, please visit our SailSAFE Health and Safety Program resource page.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

1 hour ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Well, to be completely technical. Cruise lines adopted the United States CDC recommendations voluntarily.  The CDC no longer REQUIRES the Cruise Lines comply with their recommendations, as the order expired in Jan of 2022.  The cruise lines could very easily opt out of the cruise line recommendations, and I suspect they'll maintain the fully vaxxed requirement, but drop the pre-cruise testing. 

• Like 5

This is good news for us, as we are taking an NCL cruise out of Rome in November.  Our Regent cruise, out of Miami, is in April, but I am hoping the testing requirements are lifted by then.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I thought the fully vaxxed was two doses with the booster recommended but not required. Are you saying they would have to require passengers to be boosted in order to drop the pre-cruise testing? I'm all on for requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated with two doses as it is now. I have an issue with still requiring pre-test or booster if sailing from US. No matter what, some people are still getting Covid. However, those getting Covid say it is very mild and they are fine in a few days.

10 minutes ago, forevertravel said:

I thought the fully vaxxed was two doses with the booster recommended but not required. Are you saying they would have to require passengers to be boosted in order to drop the pre-cruise testing? I'm all on for requiring passengers to be fully vaccinated with two doses as it is now. I have an issue with still requiring pre-test or booster if sailing from US. No matter what, some people are still getting Covid. However, those getting Covid say it is very mild and they are fine in a few days.

Fully vaxxed has included one booster for awhile for purposes of these NCL cruise family, I think.  I agree it's confusing, since (AFAICT -- I am not a doctor, nor is this meant to be or substitute for medical advice in any way), not everyone in the US has qualified for a booster, at least when it was first offered.

A fully vaxed 24 year old friend of mine just died of COVID - no other pre-existing conditions. While the odds are in your favor, more than ever, I would not want to be the one who gave COVID to an elderly passenger.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ysolde said:

Fully vaxxed has included one booster for awhile for purposes of these NCL cruise family, I think.  I agree it's confusing, since (AFAICT -- I am not a doctor, nor is this meant to be or substitute for medical advice in any way), not everyone in the US has qualified for a booster, at least when it was first offered.

"Fully" vaxxed is the 2 shots and a booster. An additional booster is recommended for certain age-groups and those with health conditions that can compromise your immune system. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oklahoma Cruiser 2012 said:

"Fully" vaxxed is the 2 shots and a booster. An additional booster is recommended for certain age-groups and those with health conditions that can compromise your immune system. 

Ah, thank you.  I was confused about that, then.  I guess my husband and I are both fully vaxxed (my spell-check wants to say vexed, which would be a different story altogether) and ready to cruise!

No, Regent considers fully vaxxed with two doses of the vaccine regardless of when you had it. EU started requiring a booster if vac was more 270 days from day of cruise a few months back. Regent at present only requires two doses of vaccine. We returned from a Regent cruise and we only have the two doses. Regardless, right now if you are cruising from US port you need the pre-test to get on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1