Did you enjoy your 2022 Alaska cruise?

worldtraveller99

We go to Vancouver and then our Alaska cruise very soon. I am so stressed out with trying to reconfirm all our independent suppliers (we booked this originally in 2018 for a 2020 (cancelled) trip). Plus I have had to book the pre-cruise test, and don't mention finding somewhere in Vancouver to do an unnecessary online-only 2nd ArriveCan as we LeaveCan just before we get on the ship.

Please may I ask - have you recently completed your 2022 Alaska cruise? Was it worth all this - did you actually get to relax, and was it wonderful?

11 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

PS Don't even mention the worry re the airports (and baggage coming with us?) - our flight to Vancouver has been consistently 2 - 3 hours delayed over the past 10 days on the BA website!

A delay is better than a cancelled flight - my biggest fear! 

We had a fabulous 14 day cruise May 25-June 8 on Grand Princess with incredible weather, amazing scenery and fantastic food.  That being said, we didn’t do any excursions so had no stress there and we were fortunate that the current airline/baggage issues hadn’t hit yet.  ArriveCAN is simple to use, no stress there.

A thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing vacation.3A6EB721-EDF1-4391-8A7D-B40E81327085.thumb.jpeg.cd52b40cd2277949002b37c5ef568de2.jpeg 

• Like 2

Came back from my Alaska cruise last week with COVID.  Maybe 10% of the passengers were wearing masks on the ship.  (I was one of them).  4 vaccinations and near-constant mask-wearing wasn't enough to prevent getting COVID.

People just don't give a damn about keeping themselves and others away from the virus if it means taking reasonable precautions like wearing a mask.  Sad reflection on humanity.  But probably not surprising since cruise passengers as a whole, are the most whiny, first-world problem, travelers in the world.

YES! Loved the cruise and land tour! Alaska is a destination like no other. Vast, wild, with mesmerizing nature. I too was freaked out about testing before the land tour and then before cruise after reading so many posts. But, what a trip! We were cancelled and delayed in LAX, TA transferred flights to another airline to get us to Anchorage then Fairbanks (including sleeping at Anchorage airport) and arrived with 2 hours to spare before excursion. But the moment that excursion began, we were there! That’s what counts, sit back and enjoy an incredible experience, which is Alaska😀

I will say it was probably the most stressful vacation we have taken to date.  Planning it felt so incredibly uncertain and anxiety ridden.  Upon arrival there were clearly some issues from the tourism industry recovery along the way, hotels had inconsistent service, restaurants had limited menus, etc.  One of our private tours was cancelled (whale watching on a smaller vessel, and the ship captain got covid), so we needed to rebook with another provider, and our flight on the way home was cancelled, and our bags were lost on the way back home.  And of course the kids brought back a fun souvenir, covid.  

However, even with all that, we did manage to have a wonderful time and make some really amazing memories.  My advice is to go with a solid dose of patience, and let the bumps just roll off your back.  Have some back up plans researched for tours/excursions, possibly needing to quarantine, etc.  You will still have a wonderful time assuming you don't go in expecting everything to be perfect, and are ok with the risk of covid (which is fairly large). 

If you go in determined to find things to complain about, or you get into that weird funk where suddenly you find fault with everything because you are in a bad mood, there will likely be plenty to find upsetting.  But if you go in determined to have a good time, you will likely manage just fine.  The scenery is gorgeous, the excursions are still amazing, and I didn't have to cook or clean.  

• Like 1

Land portion was go, go, go and meals on your own was very expensive. Trip TO was fine, no delays, no problems. Cruise was everything I had hoped it would be!!!  I wish I was 30 years younger, because I would be packing to move to Alaska right now. Trip home through Vancouver/Toronto was a nightmare!! Will NEVER travel to or through Canada again. Will NEVER travel Air Canada again, even if they are the only airline on earth. All that being said, that cruise/tour to Alaska was worth every penny and every hassle! I learned so much, saw so much…I would go back tomorrow if I could.

3 hours ago, quack2 said:

Came back from my Alaska cruise last week with COVID.  Maybe 10% of the passengers were wearing masks on the ship.  (I was one of them).  4 vaccinations and near-constant mask-wearing wasn't enough to prevent getting COVID.

People just don't give a damn about keeping themselves and others away from the virus if it means taking reasonable precautions like wearing a mask.  Sad reflection on humanity.  But probably not surprising since cruise passengers as a whole, are the most whiny, first-world problem, travelers in the world.

Do you include yourself in the whiny traveler group? Inquiring minds want to know.😂😂

• Haha 1

Thank you all so much, you make me feel much better - and at least have a laugh about it, especially PhotoGal07's return flight and bags going walkabout! So I shall write a trip report about it all, and hopefully we will be overwhelmed with the beauty and wonder, and not mind the awful journey there and back!

• Like 1

We just came back from 19 day vancouver roundtrip alaska/ yukon cruisetour. 

Probably even more stressful then you are now - both before and during the trip (How many tests and when? How many arrivecan and when? How many verifly and when? Excursions being cancelled/ rebook/reconfirmed.  Flight changed once, twice, rebooked.  What if tested positive at sea? on land?).  Really eally relieved that US test requirement was lifted the day when we left home.

Linked below is my trip report for your glimps.  All in all, we say worth it just for the scenery.

17 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you all so much, you make me feel much better - and at least have a laugh about it, especially PhotoGal07's return flight and bags going walkabout! So I shall write a trip report about it all, and hopefully we will be overwhelmed with the beauty and wonder, and not mind the awful journey there and back!

Good news!  The last piece of luggage managed to make it's way back home just now!  Only took 2 weeks.  

• Haha 1

That's great PhotoGal07!

Thank you for the report Shuyak - the photos of mountains and glaciers are breathtaking. 

We will have nothing to compare our cruise to, having not ocean cruised before (we have taken river cruises which we love). So we probably will love the food and drink - we are not too fussy there!

But I still hate all this compulsory online ArriveCan etc, which I understand the Canadian Govt wishes to keep long term, so they don't have to employ real people in immigration, huh.  

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

But I still hate all this compulsory online ArriveCan etc, which I understand the Canadian Govt wishes to keep long term, so they don't have to employ real people in immigration, huh.  

Not sure what the point is mocking our Canadian friends, especially when you will be a guest in their country in essentially a matter of days.  Not good form, my friend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Not employing “real people” has NOTHING to do with the ArriveCAN app.  We’re just trying to protect ourselves.

Also, take note of quack2’s “near constant” mask wearing comment.  Do not let your guard down.  We were with the approximately 5% of guests wearing masks which we were very vigilant about and we were fine.996235A7-8BB2-4B1D-83BF-64799638A85B.thumb.jpeg.035feb19eece578d3b333b8b5b1fd093.jpegDFAEE214-54E4-4033-BC07-75F02159C5E2.thumb.jpeg.4304ae50160803cee9a206943c7905f4.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Senga said:

Also, take note of quack2’s “near constant” mask wearing comment.  Do not let your guard down.

@Senga is correct about not letting your guard down re Covid.  Despite everything that the cruise lines, ports and individuals are doing, Covid is present and being transmitted during sailings.  Not sure how the Canadian ports are handling disembarking Covid passengers, but in Seattle you are either driving home (because you are a local resident), or you are being driven to a hotel for quarantine.  Where you are not going is to the airport.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

Returned from 7 day inside passage.   Despite the pre-cruise stress, confusion, changing plans and requirements, we had a wonderful time.  Beautiful weather and scenery.  

We were disappointed that only about 20% -ish wore masks onboard.   We wore our masks and distanced as much as possible.  Still we tested positive when we came home.     A week later still testing positive.

Delayed this 1st time Alaskan cruise for 2 years.     No regrets!   Can't wait to go back!

Just now, DevilinaBluDress said:

It's totally worth it! Here are some pictures from the Eclipse June 19th  sailing. Sea lions in Juneau, Whale watching in Icy Straight Point 5 pm ship excursion, Hubbard Glacier (amazing day- the ship was 3/10 mile from the Glacier). 

3C6ED2ED-7270-481A-B11C-BD5709BC2AA4.jpeg

C7241D70-ECA7-4C88-899F-0E14676BB2B4.jpeg

D787C3EC-52C4-4995-9003-85E8C07F821B.jpeg

I have no idea why some of my pictures are upside down!

• Like 1

Was is worth it? The pre-testing stress? The pricey airfare? The planning and second guessing? Oh yeah. It was a fantastic trip. Alaska is stunning. The whales, wildlife and waterfalls are incredible. Glaciers, icebergs, great food, friendly folks and people-watching? So much to love. We got back late May and are going again in twenty days and I can’t wait. All that and cruising too?? Sign me up….anytime.

The excursions can be a little pricey. I wish we could have done more. Take a deep breath. Enjoy the ride and try not to stress too much. Get to the ship on time and then bask in all that beauty. Have a wonderful time.

Kelly

Edited by Eskylady
Changed a word ….was redundant

My Alaska cruise in April was enjoyable with less hassle since I connected from a Pacific Coastal on the Holland America Line (HAL) in the same room on the same ship.  No testing issues since I did not fly into Vancouver.

This time, I met some amazing crew and fellow passengers, enjoyed the snow surrounding the train tracks in Skagway, loved the seafood feast at the Silverking Lodge in Ketchikan, great photos on Allen Marine whale watching in Juneau, and all of the food that I did not have cook for myself.

Our Alaska cruise in May was amazing - Alaska was every bit as magical as I recalled and we enjoyed every second. Even though we ended up with COVID after we got home I don’t regret it. I figure at this rate with these contagious variants COVID was going to strike eventually. At least I picked it up on a fabulous vacation instead of a boring old trip to the supermarket!

• Like 1