Live From Silver Moon: July 5 to 15

jtm1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

jtm1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Embarked Tuesday in Copenhagen for a 10 day Norwegian fjord's cruise. The embarkation was a bit scrambled as first the port authorities had to permit you to move on to the local health authorities and then finally to the Silversea medical team who looked at our vaccination cards and Covid test results. And then at last we surrendered our passports and got our key cards. All of this took no more than 20 minutes but it seemed a bit chaotic, mostly the local folks creating the twists and turns.

The ship is, of course, a delight. Spotlessly clean and sparkling in every detail.

Muster drill went smoothly and is one of the few times that masks are mandatory for passengers. (They are mandatory for crew at all times).

Dinner the first night was in Atlantide. We had planned for the Grill but the weather had other plans for us. The food and service in Atlantide were quite good, as good as we remembered from our last cruise on Silver Muse three years ago. 

Our butler is figuring out how best to be of service to us. He does whatever we ask, which is very little, but does not seem to take the initiative, maybe that will change as time passes.  

Last night we had dinner in La Terrazza and it was excellent, the pappardelle with duck ragout was as we remembered: outstanding. Some service glitches, but minor ones. 

In general the crew is as they have been on our previous nine Silversea cruises: friendly, professional and seemingly a step ahead of our requests. They are the true heart of Silversea.

After a day at sea we arrived in Bergen this morning and had our excursion, The Best of Bergen, very enjoyable and informative with a great guide.

Tomorrow on to Flam.

Happy to answer questions if I can.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Am looking forward to your review, so I can compare progress since I was on in January when I wrote my blog (height of Omicron then).

1.  Can you tell how full the ship is? (That helps put service issues in perspective)

Are masks no longer mandatory in the Venetian Lounge or gym, per announcements you have had? Very recently, per a review, they were.

Can you tell (per announcements) if they will still be mandatory on excursion buses, both inside and outside (per either SS or Norwegian/local authorities)?

If so, must they be surgical or N95, or is cloth allowed?

3.  I would be interested in learning what they are serving in the SALT restaurant on a Norway cruise (am assuming salmon will be part of it) 🙂

The SALT option is what had lured me back to SS after a few years of absence, and it was our favorite venue last January on Panama Canal cruise.

4.  Is the little outside thermal pool aft behind the gym open/working?  

I loved that magical little spot for reading, with just the sounds of the ocean, and on a cold weather cruise (if open), could be nice for semi-private soaking. 

5.  Are you in a standard veranda suite?

6.  Are independent excursions allowed and, if so, are masks required on private tours?

No pressure to answer questions, and I thank you in advance for any offerings and contributions.

Enjoy!

I can  answer a few of these right away:

460 on board yesterday with 40 more joining today in Bergen. Has not felt crowded at all.

Masks mandatory in Venetian Lounge last evening for Captain's welcome. Most folks complied until seated and eating/drinking. I don't know about the gym, but the material says masks are mandatory there and on the excursion buses. On our excursion today a mix of some did and some didn't.   The guide made no mention of masks and did not wear one himself. I saw no cloth masks and the instructions indicated  N95 or surgical, which they handed out if needed.

Will report on Salt and the little thermal pool if I have news.

We are in a Silver Suite.

Private excursions were happening today, since we did not take one I don't know about mask requirements.

Jim

• Thanks 2

Thank you!  So far, the mask rules  sound identical to what we had in January on the Moon, at the peak of Omicron, irrespective of distancing (we had 20% occupancy).

Some pax may like this, many (from what I have seen in situations where masks are "recommended but not mandatory", most do not.  DH was informed that even if he was *alone* in the gym, he had to be masked, so the rule had nothing to do with distancing.

Again, my pre-thanks for any and all upcoming information you provide .  It know it takes work and time.

Norway will be spectacular, whatever the rules!

jtm1, thanks for the reports!  I have a keen interest because I have an upcoming cruise on the Moon and I appreciate any feedback and observations.  

As for Covid, the current variants are far more contagious than Omicron.  Of course each country has their own trajectory and the ship will have it’s own.  I’ll be boarding in Sept. and hope the masking requirements are even more stringent as I have an extended stay in Portugal  after and will be boarding a river cruise just three days after disembarkation from the Moon.  Hoping to remain Covid negative throughout.  

• Like 1

On the Moon also. First night the Salt Restaurant and just fabulous. Second night Atlantide- perfect. Last night La Dame and again perfect. We had a fabulous bottle of Corton Charlemagne last night(excuse spelling) for $155 and I don't think I can buy that bottle in the states in a wine store for that price. I thought all the prices on the special wine list are a great deal- Dom for $160??? Take two, they are small- haha.

9 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Can you explain what you mean by that?  Are people not adhering to the guidelines for evening dress?

What I mean is that nobody in charge in the restaurants was asking people not dressed according to the nights dress code to leave the restaurant or other venues. Very common to see 5% to 10% not adhering to the dress code. It did not bother us in the least and did not detract from the current cruise. We are having a great time 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Do you know what's in the Salene drink?

The bartender explained and it is very complicated. Part of the drink has to be prepared a day in advance. I can't remember what went into it. My responsibility was to drink and enjoy it and I did my job.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tucson Guy and I are like ships in the night... my wife and I also ate at La Dame last evening. I agree it was outstanding.

A note regarding tenders and mask wearing,  yesterday in Flam 100% wore masks on the tenders. 

We did the Flam railway excursion which was very interesting, although due to the train schedule it is perhaps a little long.

Today the scheduled stop at Alesund had to be scrapped when the wind was too brisk for us to dock. So, we are off to Olden a day early to be there overnight. That will be a welcome respite from the rather rough seas last night. In 9 previous cruises we have experienced rougher but still it was a bit unpleasant.

I agree with Tucson Guy that the fashion police would be unhappy that some of our fellow passengers are lax in following the dress recommendations. On the Formal Night two nights ago we ate in La Terrazza as I did not bring a tux but rather a dark blue blazer, which I wore with a dress shirt and tie. Nearly everyone else there was dressed similarly save for the fellow in his  jogging outfit. They gave him a blazer which the maître'd placed upon the back of his chair. Weird, but I am way past really caring, I post this just for entertainment value.

As an aside, I am glad I cancelled my Chicago to Copenhagen roundtrip on SAS and switched to Swiss Air connecting through Zurich. The unfortunate pilots strike is messing up many passengers plans to get home from Copenhagen when our cruise ends.

At the half way point this has been yet another wonderful cruise on Sliversea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A little more feedback on this cruise- Last night was Kaiseki. Wonderful dinner but we will cancel our second ressie here. Not because we didn't like it, but because we would end up ordering the same meal. Not everything appealed to us. The Chef's menu was fabulous. We also have a second ressie at La Dame and we may cancel for the same reasons. There are too many other choices with a larger menu. 

Hi.  My memory from prior Silversea cruises is that you may order 2 bottles of liquor per cabin to be placed in your cabin.  Is that still the case?  If so, I wondered if you could provide information about what is available.  

Many thanks in advance.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

On the Moon also. First night the Salt Restaurant and just fabulous. Second night Atlantide- perfect. Last night La Dame and again perfect. We had a fabulous bottle of Corton Charlemagne last night(excuse spelling) for $155 and I don't think I can buy that bottle in the states in a wine store for that price. I thought all the prices on the special wine list are a great deal- Dom for $160??? Take two, they are small- haha.

Would you be able to post a picture of the wine menu for the included wines? 

The last night of our voyage as we cruise to Copenhagen and a 7 AM arrival tomorrow. All in all this has been another wonderful Silversea experience, not without hiccups (we don't live in a perfect world) but nonetheless an A+ cruise.

As I provided my credit card at Reception for the settling up of my bill I was struck by how anxious several folks were over how they were going to get home to the US with the SAS strike continuing. It is certainly understandable that they are anxious but it seemed that they wanted more from the Reception staff than could be provided, which was apparently to say that it is being worked on by corporate.

This is not meant as a criticism of either the effected passengers or the Reception team, I feel badly for both of them. Circumstances outside of Silversea are putting a sour ending on many folks cruise.

I hope all works out for the passengers and they get home quickly.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, jtm1 said:

The last night of our voyage as we cruise to Copenhagen and a 7 AM arrival tomorrow. All in all this has been another wonderful Silversea experience, not without hiccups (we don't live in a perfect world) but nonetheless an A+ cruise.

As I provided my credit card at Reception for the settling up of my bill I was struck by how anxious several folks were over how they were going to get home to the US with the SAS strike continuing. It is certainly understandable that they are anxious but it seemed that they wanted more from the Reception staff than could be provided, which was apparently to say that it is being worked on by corporate.

This is not meant as a criticism of either the effected passengers or the Reception team, I feel badly for both of them. Circumstances outside of Silversea are putting a sour ending on many folks cruise.

I hope all works out for the passengers and they get home quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to post and safe travels home.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

thank you for the info , i join on 19 th and i am a great winelover esp Champagne and French white

however Burgundy is heavily depending on the "house"  - at the moment at my wine supplier a Corton Charlemagne of Louis Latour is 186€ 

On 7/15/2022 at 2:24 PM, texanaust said:

What is Silver Moon doing from the 15th-19th of July?  Is it just berthed in Copenhagen?

On 7/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, ggo85 said:

Per a crew member, Moon will be in dry dock in Copenhagen until the 19th.  

We heard it was going into dry dock for a couple of days. Guess linked to cancellations of St Petersburg element? Just rumoured though