Process if test positive pre-cruise

harrisjoanne6

Hi, 

I’m from the UK and due to cruise the end of August on Regal. There is so much Covid about in the UK now (probably more than there has ever been) and I am getting very concerned about testing positive before my cruise and what happens.

At the moment I am outside of 30 days before my cruise so could cancel and get my cancellation fees as FCC, but less than 30 days I am not sure if I can or if I would then need to go through my travel insurance.

i think reading the website that Princess will give me FCC for the full amount, but I’m not sure. I’m also unsure how I would get a PCR test to prove if I did have it as all the testing centres seem to have closed now around here.

Does anyone know what the process is, to help put my mind at rest.

thanks so much in advance. 

That happened to us and we were offered FCC which we didn’t want so we are using our Travel Insurance. Just be sure to cancel within required time (for us it was 2 days) and some insurance (including Princess) requires a certain kind of (positive Covid) test.

What insurance would be good to cover you if you get to the port and do a covid test there and it is positive.  We are arriving in Barcelona  on the 3rd and the ship pulls out on the 6th.  We have to fly out from the US on the 2nd so we will have to have a Covid test in Barcelona because Princess says it has to be 3 days or less from embarkation  We are doing a cruise that is 26 nights and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.  Im not sure that Princess Insurance will cover us with airfare getting home from Barcelona if we have Covid.  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company that would cover this airfare and quarantine stay if we turned up having it in Barcelona?.

13 hours ago, Firepath said:

That happened to us and we were offered FCC which we didn’t want so we are using our Travel Insurance. Just be sure to cancel within required time (for us it was 2 days) and some insurance (including Princess) requires a certain kind of (positive Covid) test.

Hi, did princess need you to produce a test to receive the FCC offer, if so was it a PCR or rapid antigen/lateral flow test. 

hope you got your insurance payment back OK. 

thanks

15 hours ago, Firepath said:

That happened to us and we were offered FCC which we didn’t want so we are using our Travel Insurance. 

I hadn't heard that was an option.  I thought insurance requires taking the compensation offered by the cruise line or air provider before approving a claim.  Are you experiencing any issues with your insurer?  Thanks, this would be very good to know.

6 hours ago, Firepath said:

I know that Princess requires the PCR test. We are using private insurance, Travel Insured International, so I’m not sure of the Princess process.

Princess don't require a pcr test

Princess requires a PCR or Antigen test. I thought the Platinum Insurance from Princess was cancel for any reason.

Not sure it covers airfare back to the U.S if you were not originally scheduled to fly back, but if you test positive in Barcelona, could you fly back to the U.S. immediately?

On 7/16/2022 at 10:24 PM, smitty3000 said:

What insurance would be good to cover you if you get to the port and do a covid test there and it is positive.  We are arriving in Barcelona  on the 3rd and the ship pulls out on the 6th.  We have to fly out from the US on the 2nd so we will have to have a Covid test in Barcelona because Princess says it has to be 3 days or less from embarkation  We are doing a cruise that is 26 nights and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.  Im not sure that Princess Insurance will cover us with airfare getting home from Barcelona if we have Covid.  Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company that would cover this airfare and quarantine stay if we turned up having it in Barcelona?.

Call tripinsurancestore.com.  They will ask you a lot of questions and find a policy that best meets your needs. Assuming you booked this trip a while ago and/or you traveling in the near future some coverages may not be available to you.  For example, if you have "pre-existing" conditions you often have to buy the insurance within 14-21 days of your initial trip deposit to waive that clause.  A few policies will waive the pre-existing conditions clause if you purchase by final payment date.  Unfortunately many people have what the insurance companies call pre-existing conditions without knowing it.  And most cruise line policies (including the Princess plans), never waive the pre-existing conditions clause.  Princess has a 60 day lookback.

You may also want to repost this on the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum, or at least browse through some of the threads.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance