Cheers Package Galveston

Baseball1999

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Pika8347 said:

Just out of pure curiosity, why does one have to wait for the second day in Texas?

Texas alcohol laws require sales tax to be collected for any purchases on land or in local waters. This meant cruise lines charge tax on the purchase and report it to the state with the tax collected.

Drink packages clutter that some, and Carnival made the decision to stop offering the benefit on day one and go one drink at a time. Genius decision for Carnival, as drink purchases are heavy the first day, and they clearly enjoy spend per passenger amount.  Cheers is akin to an insurance company. All of us pay in to the till, and they count on a lesser amount to debit from the total.

Bored yet? If not then watch when you board the ship and see the bars serving from alcohol cases with open padlocks and hasps. About an hour (or less) from leaving the port (once in international waters) those cases of beer, and open bottles are packed away, and a new set is opened. That closes the tax added to your purchase.

This law has been in effect for decades, and only in the past few years has TABC put a hapless group of people in the terminal asking if departing cruisers bought alcohol while ashore. It's entertaining to watch as people walk right by. I don't purchase alcohol on the ship or in port, but enjoy the show. What makes it more entertaining is the new face scan feature that lets those leaving not even slow down, no US Customs form, zip.

See you at sea.

Edited by BallFour4

12 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Texas alcohol laws require sales tax to be collected for any purchases on land or in local waters. This meant cruise lines charge tax on the purchase and report it to the state with the tax collected.

Drink packages clutter that some, and Carnival made the decision to stop offering the benefit on day one and go one drink at a time. Genius decision for Carnival, as drink purchases are heavy the first day, and they clearly enjoy spend per passenger amount.  Cheers is akin to an insurance company. All of us pay in to the till, and they count on a lesser amount to debit from the total.

Bored yet? If not then watch when you board the ship and see the bars serving from alcohol cases with open padlocks and hasps. About an hour (or less) from leaving the port (once in international waters) those cases of beer, and open bottles are packed away, and a new set is opened. That closes the tax added to your purchase.

This law has been in effect for decades, and only in the past few years has TABC put a hapless group of people in the terminal asking if departing cruisers bought alcohol while ashore. It's entertaining to watch as people walk right by. I don't purchase alcohol on the ship or in port, but enjoy the show. What makes it more entertaining is the new face scan feature that lets those leaving not even slow down, no US Customs form, zip.

See you at sea.

WOW!!! I had no idea (we're from Ohio). So if buy duty free liquor on the ship the TABC will ask me to pay tax as a non resident?

When I was assigned to Fort Hood, Texas, the post liquor store had a signup list for those who were buying liquor but lived off post.  If  you put your name on the list, Texas state taxes were collected.  If not, no tax, and much cheaper liquor.  I don't recall seeing anyone volunteer to pay more in taxes.  Legally, if you were caught offpost without a receipt that you'd paid the Texas tax, you could be prosecuted.  Never heard of anyone being prosecuted.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:25 PM, KruzingGal said:

So do they still charge the package for the complete cruise?

No,theyonly charge for the next day after departure from Galveston until the end of your cruise.