Need recommendations for 2nd day in Denali next June

deltadoug13

We will be at Denali before our cruise next June.

One of the days we will be doing the bus tour through Denali National Park.

We will have an additional day there and looking for Recommendations.

We’ve already been to Talkeetna during our last visit.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

The Visitor Center has hikes and exhibits.  There is a great National Park Visitor Center bookstore.  There are scheduled free visits to see the sled dog’s of the park demo.  It really depends on what you enjoy.  On a clear day you can take a flight to see Denali from above.  Check the national park website for inexpensive options and your cruise line excursions for more expensive options.  

I vote for another day on the park bus maybe different time like one of the early trips. That will double your chance to see the mt and chance to see more wildlife along with knowing where to sit and where to look. Remember only 33% of visitors see the mt and now your odds are 66% with two trips. 

sightcrr

We did a white water rafting trip near Denali.  It was a lot of fun.  You are aware I assume that the road into Denali is closed at mile 43 so your bus tour will not take you very far in.  I doubt if the major road repairs will be done by next June.

DON

• Like 1

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

........  You are aware I assume that the road into Denali is closed at mile 43 so your bus tour will not take you very far in.  I doubt if the major road repairs will be done by next June.

DON

Our local newspaper, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, has a year round reporter stationed in Healy.  She has not reported any recent developments in the plans to bridge the Pretty Rocks area.  I am starting to wonder when the bridging will be done and also doubt that the work will be done by next June.

13 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Our local newspaper, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, has a year round reporter stationed in Healy.  She has not reported any recent developments in the plans to bridge the Pretty Rocks area.  I am starting to wonder when the bridging will be done and also doubt that the work will be done by next June.

In order for it to be done by June 2023, they would have to be working inside the park in the winter.  Is that even possible?  When would construction shut down for the winter and when could they start again when it warms up?

DON

This couple is at the start of a 3 part series in Denali that shows what to do in the first 15 miles and how to do it. Skip over the part about driving own vehicle and concentrate on how to use the park busses, trails and displays. Videoed the early part of June 22. 

Our FIRST time in DENALI National Park! (Savage Alpine, Mount Healy, sled dogs, & Horseshoe Lake) - YouTube

sightcrr. 

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

In order for it to be done by June 2023, they would have to be working inside the park in the winter.  Is that even possible?  When would construction shut down for the winter and when could they start again when it warms up?

DON

With the temperature requirements for concrete to "set up" I can't imagine that there could be much work on the project during our winter.  Even if we have an incredibly mild winter it is still winter in the middle of Alaska in the middle a major mountain range.  Last winter we had major bridge replacements in Fairbanks (yes -- plural) over the Chena River and the work stopped for the winter in late September/early October.

And the other issue they are facing is that the NPS is  a federal agency so has a fixed timeline regarding the issuance of federal $ contracts.  So much time for the issuance of RFP, waiting for the responses to the RFPs and so forth.

We were on a bus tour last month and our driver told us that construction has not started and are looking at a completion of in 2024/25. She also mentioned that the roads past Pretty Rocks will not be maintained during this time so they have no idea what to expect when the bridge is completed.   

Denali ATV is an awesome second day excursion! I highly recommend.

pour bus driver last month told us the park doesn’t even have a contractor set up to fix the road, so can’t imagine the road being fixed for a loooong time.