Ovation of the Seas balconies

Just now, MRdawgs8 said:

We’re taking an Alaska cruise next year on Ovation. Any ideas on balconies? Any better than others, or ones to avoid?

We have cruised 4 times on the Ovation in Alaska.  The balcony rooms that I would avoid is deck 13.  The overhang on deck 13 makes it difficult to see the glacier and take good pictures.  We also were lucky to cruise during the Aurora Borealis and we had to go to deck 15 to see it. Lots of other fellow cruisers enjoyed them from their balconies.

• Like 1

Deck 13 midship has large overhangs.  Deck 13 fully forward or aft does not.  

Deck 6 fully forward has the only balconies that look down to the sea without anything in the way.    Most of the rest of deck 6 has obstructions or a public walkway right below it.

Search the internet for ship pictures.   The midship hump is mostly suites.  Forward or aft the hump tends to be inset so most balconies look straight down to the public walkways and lifeboats.  In this area higher is better but watch out for the deck 13 overhang in the midship areas noted above. 

Smoking is on the deck 5 starboard side on this ship so if sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke go higher or avoid starboard.

• Like 1

Is there a disadvantage to booking a “connecting” balcony over one that isn’t? We noticed the connecting were about $90 less than the regular, but the same size. Also, is the larger (only 10 more sf)  worth it? They’re more expensive, too.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, MRdawgs8 said:

Is there a disadvantage to booking a “connecting” balcony over one that isn’t? We noticed the connecting were about $90 less than the regular, but the same size. Also, is the larger (only 10 more sf)  worth it? They’re more expensive, too.

Thanks!

Connecting balconies have slightly less noise insulation because of the door instead of a solid wall, so you're kind of rolling the dice--some neighbors are definitely noisier than others. They are also sometimes configured differently, but I'm not sure about the Ovation in particular.

Personally, I don't find 10 extra square feet to make that much of a difference. I'm more likely to choose a cabin based on a location I like. Other people feel differently of course, but if the price difference is more than a few bucks, I would probably pass.

31 minutes ago, MRdawgs8 said:

Thanks for the good info. We booked an inside, but decided a balcony might be nicer.

Also ... YES!!!  I know that some people are perfectly content in inside cabins, but Alaska is one itinerary where you really want to be able to step outside at a moment's notice.

• Like 2

Thanks all! My wife just reminded me that we’ve had more than one connecting cabin in the past and had no noise issues. Those were Caribbean cruises, not Alaska, so I figured people aren’t as likely to be noisy on this one.

As for the slightly larger balcony area, it only added a foot or two, so I don’t think we’ll need that.

41 minutes ago, MRdawgs8 said:

Thanks!

It's only the balcony that is larger, not the cabin.

Ovation is an anomaly in the Q class of ships in thet she has a large number of her deck 7 balconies classified as obstructed view.  These same cabins on other Q class ships are classified as regular view.  We had one of these last week and would definitely book one again especially as they were significantly less expensive. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Connecting balconies have slightly less noise insulation because of the door instead of a solid wall, so you're kind of rolling the dice--some neighbors are definitely noisier than others. They are also sometimes configured differently, but I'm not sure about the Ovation in particular.

I'm certain I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe connecting rooms on Ovation connect via external doors that close in the hallway, therefore giving the ability to leave the regular entry doors open.  I don't think there are doors inside the room.  

8 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm certain I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe connecting rooms on Ovation connect via external doors that close in the hallway, therefore giving the ability to leave the regular entry doors open.  I don't think there are doors inside the room.  

The doors are inside the room.

You are thinking of the connecting family suites where there was a central hallway. 

1 hour ago, MRdawgs8 said:

Thanks!

It honestly depends on your neighbors in regards to the noise level.

• 1 year later...

I have already booked for Alaskan Cruise with Ovation of the Seas. Got a studio cabin which is 166 sq. feet and has a connecting door, but I will lock it all the time. I don't expect to stay in the cabin all the time. I am a solo traveler and so excited. 

Edited by Scrapbookhappy11

We had 12250 on Ovation for the transpacific last year and loved it. As it was just behind the hump the balcony was a bigger than the normal balconies and was on an angle so you could see the whole way down to the back of the ship, just not forward. It was also right near the midship lifts/elevators so a great position.