Medallion App>Contact cabin steward

janroatan

51 minutes ago, janroatan said:

Can you use the Medallion App to contact your  Steward with requests?

Such as extra pillows, or ice ?

No.  A telephone call pages them.  We try to avoid bothering them in their off-hours though.  On the pillows, just ask him/her when you meet them on embarkation day for the extras.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janroatan said:

Indirectly. We requested ice, towels and robes on the app. Maybe 10 minutes later our stateroom host was knocking at the door and delivering the items. So I think you’re not exactly messaging the steward directly but they are most likely going to be the person fulfilling the request.

• Like 1

I agree with Steelers in that we try to never bother our steward with texting or a call unless it is a very serious issue.  These folks work very hard and have many cabins to service.   You can normally find them during the morning and in the evening (usually from around 4:30) in the corridor.   We do our best to respect their time-off duty which is usually much of the afternoon and at night.  We do like to have ice and always mention this when we meet our steward on embarkation day.  On Princess the norm is that they fill your ice bucket once per day and leave it in the fridge (it helps keep it from melting).  I believe you can also call room service if you run out of ice.  Just like passengers like having a good steward, the steward's really appreciate having a good passenger who understands they have many cabins to serve.

Hank

• Like 7

4 hours ago, janroatan said:

Just got off the Grand Princess yesterday July 20.

A feature on the Medallion APP is Crew Call Chat and Princess actually promotes the use of this feature. Please be mindful of the time of day and ‘urgency need for your requests’. This is a different feature than using the APP to order food, drinks or items like sunblock from the on board shop.

My stateroom steward did leave his contact info on Day1. He was always available during morning hours and evening during turndown service in the hallway. On the Grand, evening turndown was assumed unless you requested to opt out.

Our passenger counts were on the low side at about 1500-1600 for both NB and SB Vancouver to Whittier. Believe normal double occupancy is about 2600 for the Grand, so crew did not seem overwhelmed.

Edited by wallyj

8 hours ago, janroatan said:

Yes you can get pillows, ice, robes and such thru the ap. When it is during your steward’s regular hours they are usually the one who brings it ( but not always). If it is outside their working hours another crew member will. The ap is like using room service. Ice in particular  has almost always not been delivered by my steward. I order a lot of it as so many muscles need to be tended to with it. 

I always ask my steward what their hours are and only use the phone to call them during those hours and only if the request really cannot wait until the next time I see them. 

For example I accidentally broke a glass in my cabin during their regular hours and needed a vacuum.  I called them and it was taken care of. If it had been outside their hours I would have called guest services since broken glass really needs immediate attention. 

This has been my experience on many, many sailings since the restart. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No.  A telephone call pages them.  We try to avoid bothering them in their off-hours though.  On the pillows, just ask him/her when you meet them on embarkation day for the extras.

I forgot about Crew Chat.  I imagine we'll have occasion to try that out in October.