Anchorage - simple northern lights tour or car service to take us to a spot and then back?

GCS2000

We will be in Anchorage for a night before we go to Seward to depart on our cruise on 9/16.

It would be great to get a chance to see the lights while we are there.  I see there are tours but most of these are not only pricey but 6-8 hours.  We don't really need anything of that length.  I realize they go to several spots to get the best views etc.

Is there a simple tour or car service that would be a couple of hours at best to take us to a spot or 2 to see the lights/get pics and then back to our hotel?

And yes I am aware that seeing the lights is dependent upon the weather etc and we may not be able to see anything.

TIA for any suggestions

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You could rent a car and drive to the viewing sites.  There are links on the WEB to site suggestions.

DON

Given the cost of what such a tour would probably be with the possibility that the Northern Lights will be taking a night off, this suggestion makes the most sense to me.  

If you watch to see if the lights are out via websites such as the aurora forecast and weather sites you can just take a cab out to Pt Woronzof or the Downtown Anchorage Viewpoint for 20 bucks each way.  Both are out by the airport. Not the best spots in Alaska but a cheap way to see the lights if they’re out. If there is a potential for a good showing they will announce it on the local evening news channels as well as Facebook pages.

• Like 1

For best viewing you have to get out from underneath city suburban street lighting.

Someplace dark.

When on a ship it is difficult to find a dark spot due to all the rigging and exterior lights.

Same applies on land - and summer time late sundown doesn't help either.

Still yet Alaska being as far north as it is the best place compared to the lower 48.

The pricy tours no doubt know the optimum location to view the Aurora Borealis -

avoiding twilight reflections off of snow glaciers lakes and expanses of open water.

That late in the year is should be getting dark enough to see the Northern Lights if you have clear skies and aurora activity.

My first would be to rent a car for the day. Otherwise, maybe BAC Transportation or Aurora Limousines for hiring a car...

Spots: I like the viewing tower at Reflection Lake, just north of the Knik River Bridge. But that does require a 1/2 mile walk in the dark. Otherwise here: https://goo.gl/maps/1aGjwA18pov4VjMN8 

• 4 weeks later...