Lufthansa ground staff to strike on Wednesday, July 27...

sapphireblue

We're so ready and excited to fly out tomorrow to join the Constellation this weekend.  And just as we finish our last bit of packing we've found a few news articles along with a notice on Lufthansa's website is saying that there will be a one-day warning strike on Wednesday, July 27th in airports across Germany. 😮  Is anyone flying through Germany enroute to a cruise port?  Does anyone know about this?  Any experience with this?  

Only if it were longer or during different hours would it be a serious issue.  If otherwise, it could make hash out of all of the North American passenger connections to other cities in Europe through Frankfurt.  E.g., those United pax using codeshare flights operated by Lufthansa for their trans-Atlantic leg via Frankfurt.   3:45am ~ 6am is just a 'warning shot'.

The strike will affect German airports including Frankfurt, Duesseldorf and Berlin, and will run from 3.45 am (0145 GMT) on Wednesday until 6 am (0400 GMT) on Thursday.

Edited by canderson
typoz

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Be thankful you are flying out on the 26th. This is going to be a mess!

If you are flying out on the 26th, you are arriving in Germany on the 27th.  Nothing to be thankful about.  😉

6 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you are flying out on the 26th, you are arriving in Germany on the 27th.  Nothing to be thankful about.  😉

Very true about arriving the 27th. I've been up since 5am and the brain is on strike this evening. 😉

1 hour ago, canderson said:

The strike will affect German airports including Frankfurt, Duesseldorf and Berlin, and will run from 3.45 am (0145 GMT) on Wednesday until 6 am (0400 GMT) on Thursday.

Won't Munich be effected as well?

We've booked our air through Celebrity and are just waiting to hear IF we get our flight(s) cancelled.  Then we can move forward.  

Thankfully, when we booked this back in November, we decided to fly in to Barcelona 3 days before our cruise.  We were just hopeful at that time that cruising would continue to grow.  The flights seemed to be the only arrangements that were a sure thing.  

Here is another classic example of why it's so important to fly in a few days early if possible.  Who knew in November that the flight situation would be what it is in the world right now.  And now a one day strike?!   

In 12 hours we are planning on heading out to the airport.  Let's see how this rolls out.

31 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

The union Ver.di announced that the main airports of Frankfurt, Munich, Cologne-Bonn, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover and Stuttgart would be affected by the planned strikes.

7 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Yes, Munich is effected as well. It does not effect security, baggage handlers and more but only the ground staff of LH (check-in, service counters, gate counter). It might also effect other Star Alliance flights as the ground staff usually works for LH and does also operate the counters of the Star Alliance partners.

steamboats

LH just announced that almost all flights out/in FRA and MUC are cancelled for tomorrow. They advise people not to come to the airport.

Everyone having LH flights for tomorrow should check their flight status.

steamboats

12 hours ago, canderson said:

3:45am ~ 6am is just a 'warning shot'.

from 3.45 am (0145 GMT) on Wednesday until 6 am (0400 GMT) on Thursday.

Unless you have a typo in your days, 26+ hours is more than a warning shot.

Edit to add: I just confirmed it's not a typo.

Edited by RichYak
confirmation

41 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Unless you have a typo in your days, 26+ hours is more than a warning shot.

Edit to add: I just confirmed it's not a typo.

Nope - and even I hadn't realized what I was typing yesterday!

Thought it was going to last a whopping 2 hours and 45 minutes!

I would imagine that the big problem for cruisers will be the two airports (Frankfurt and Munich) that frequently act as hubs for Star Alliance codeshares.  I think the other alliances use them similarly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Baggage handling is not affected by the strike.

steamboats

The several thousand bags left behind in the bowels of Frankfurt Airport tell another story. They just compound the strike issue even further.

12 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

The several thousand bags left behind in the bowels of Frankfurt Airport tell another story. They just compound the strike issue even further.

This has nothing to do with the current strike. The reason for long lines at security (especially at Hamburg, Köln/Bonn, Düsseldorf) or left behind baggage is staff shortage. BTW although there are a lot of bags at Munich airport a big part of those bags are just here to be sorted and sent to the owners - the bags came from other airports and Munich is helping out with the sorting and delivery.

I just checked the Munich airport website. Almost all LH flights are cancelled. Some single flights are going out. All LH flights to the US are cancelled. UA flights to the US are cancelled too. I only saw two flights by UA which have not been cancelled (one was San Francisco).

steamboats

43 minutes ago, steamboats said:

This has nothing to do with the current strike. The reason for long lines at security (especially at Hamburg, Köln/Bonn, Düsseldorf) or left behind baggage is staff shortage. BTW although there are a lot of bags at Munich airport a big part of those bags are just here to be sorted and sent to the owners - the bags came from other airports and Munich is helping out with the sorting and delivery.

Cheap excuses and totally irrelevant. German airports are a mess, incompetence everywhere. Whenever I have to go home I can't wait to leave again.

Hope people get through properly and thank god I booked Qatar Airways to get to Rome next month.

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Cheap excuses and totally irrelevant. German airports are a mess, incompetence everywhere. Whenever I have to go home I can't wait to leave again.

Sorry, once again, the current problems are much more complicated. And your answer doesn´t show much competence either.

Here in Munich there are no lines at security as security is done by the state. In other German airports you have long lines at security because a private company is doing this. Baggage handling is done by another company (or acutally two here in Munich). Catering is done by different companies. The airport itself is just operating the airport. Services are operated by separate companies (some owned by the airports as well). But the main problem is the staff shortage which is not just limited to airports, but all over the country. And this is not limited to Germany but all over Europe and UK and the US. Maybe it´s better in Japan.

And it´s by far not just the German airports... But also Schipol / Amsterdam or airports in London and many more.

steamboats

who does not work at or for the airport but is just a passenger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1