Best Hop On/Hop Off Boston

sunlover2

Stopping in Boston on our upcoming cruise. Could not believe how many different companies there are for Hop On/Hop Off. Can anyone suggest one from past experience that definitely can be picked up near the cruise port. We would like many stops as some only have 9. TIA

1 hour ago, sunlover2 said:

Stopping in Boston on our upcoming cruise. Could not believe how many different companies there are for Hop On/Hop Off. Can anyone suggest one from past experience that definitely can be picked up near the cruise port. We would like many stops as some only have 9. TIA

The one that goes to the port when ships are in is the Old Town Trolley.  You can go on-line to their website and pre-purchase your ticket for a slightly discounted price. Also, compare your ship's tour cost of this tour.  Trolley buses are Green and orange, with some being double decker buses. Skip getting off at Cheers; it's a tourist trap. Sit on the Right if at all possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

The one that goes to the port when ships are in is the Old Town Trolley.  You can go on-line to their website and pre-purchase your ticket for a slightly discounted price. Also, compare your ship's tour cost of this tour.  Trolley buses are Green and orange, with some being double decker buses. Skip getting off at Cheers; it's a tourist trap. Sit on the Right if at all possible.

Thank you for that info. another question please...can you hop on any of the green/orange busses of the same company. I assume all the Old Town Trolley's follow and stop at the same stops? Thank you again

17 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Thank you for that info. another question please...can you hop on any of the green/orange busses of the same company. I assume all the Old Town Trolley's follow and stop at the same stops? Thank you again

I believe that is their practice as long as the bus isn't full.  The days preceding our 31st cruise will be very busy in Boston as the College kids are moving back into our many major universities.  That means extra parents driving, U-Haul trucks and moving trucks in a very crowded downtown area. Patients on the roadways, at restaurants and tourist sites will be a plus.

44 minutes ago, Nanatravel said:

I believe that is their practice as long as the bus isn't full.  The days preceding our 31st cruise will be very busy in Boston as the College kids are moving back into our many major universities.  That means extra parents driving, U-Haul trucks and moving trucks in a very crowded downtown area. Patients on the roadways, at restaurants and tourist sites will be a plus.

Yikes, I didn't even think about that! We will be in Boston Saturday, Sept 3rd...Labor Day weekend. I'm sure that will be very hectic. 

When do the college kids head back? Hoping in early August 😉

1 hour ago, sunlover2 said:

Yikes, I didn't even think about that! We will be in Boston Saturday, Sept 3rd...Labor Day weekend. I'm sure that will be very hectic. 

September 1 is the day that most leases switches over in Boston. It can be a total mess in some parts of the city. It shouldn't be an issue at all in the cruiseport or Seaport (I lived there for six years and don't recall it being any different than any other weekend). As you move into the city proper, things can get worse, but assuming you aren't planning to Alston, Brighton, or Somerville, you should be okay.

Also, we are very excited as a city when we get through early September without someone getting their moving truck stuck on Storrow Drive. As you can imagine, that creates traffic nightmares, but again, most likely not where you are going to want to be.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

September 1 is the day that most leases switches over in Boston. It can be a total mess in some parts of the city. It shouldn't be an issue at all in the cruiseport or Seaport (I lived there for six years and don't recall it being any different than any other weekend). As you move into the city proper, things can get worse, but assuming you aren't planning to Alston, Brighton, or Somerville, you should be okay.

Also, we are very excited as a city when we get through early September without someone getting their moving truck stuck on Storrow Drive. As you can imagine, that creates traffic nightmares, but again, most likely not where you are going to want to be.

Thank you!!

Do you feel it would even be worth taking the Hop On/Off? We were in New Orleans a few days prior to the Mardi Gras parades and did theirs. It was crazy!!

We are big walkers so that is an option also.

Boston is so easy to walk around. However, as you are on a cruise and have a time issue. I highly urge the Hop On/Off. You can see alot of the city. if you get a good driver, it is even more enjoyable. Good luck we were in Boston for a few days so did a day on the bus, then walked on another day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

Thank you!!

Do you feel it would even be worth taking the Hop On/Off? We were in New Orleans a few days prior to the Mardi Gras parades and did theirs. It was crazy!!

We are big walkers so that is an option also.

I think it depends on what exactly you want to see, how long you have, and what the weather is like. I'm from Boston, so I've never taken it, but it definitely goes all around the touristy parts. You could take the Silver Line to South Station instead, and walk up the Greenway to Quincy Market, then back over to the Common and the Public Garden, down Newbury Street to Copley Square, and then take a Lyft back to the ship for less than a hop on hop off ticket.

Is there something specific you are interested in? If so, I might be able to give you better advice.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 9:44 AM, sunlover2 said:

I live in Boston and will tell you that Old Town Trolley is very popular and very reliable, you can hop-on at any stop but as another said, space permitting.  The weather has been amazing this summer in Boston and very very crowded with tourists.  Keep in mind (while I don't know how much time you have in port) Boston is a very small "big" city and easily walkable to many of the tourist highlights from Black Falcon Pier.  Also, our subway system is a TOTAL mess right now.  The Orange Line (walkable from the pier) will be totally shutting down for 30 days beginning Aug 18 - Sept 19, so it will be unusable during your stop.  If you tell me the date/time you will be in Boston, I am happy to make a few recommendations for you, if you'd like.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, Rubyfisch said:

I think it depends on what exactly you want to see, how long you have, and what the weather is like. I'm from Boston, so I've never taken it, but it definitely goes all around the touristy parts. You could take the Silver Line to South Station instead, and walk up the Greenway to Quincy Market, then back over to the Common and the Public Garden, down Newbury Street to Copley Square, and then take a Lyft back to the ship for less than a hop on hop off ticket.

Is there something specific you are interested in? If so, I might be able to give you better advice.

Thank you....Been busy these days but hoping to work on Boston very soon. More to come 😉

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I live in Boston and will tell you that Old Town Trolley is very popular and very reliable, you can hop-on at any stop but as another said, space permitting.  The weather has been amazing this summer in Boston and very very crowded with tourists.  Keep in mind (while I don't know how much time you have in port) Boston is a very small "big" city and easily walkable to many of the tourist highlights from Black Falcon Pier.  Also, our subway system is a TOTAL mess right now.  The Orange Line (walkable from the pier) will be totally shutting down for 30 days beginning Aug 18 - Sept 19, so it will be unusable during your stop.  If you tell me the date/time you will be in Boston, I am happy to make a few recommendations for you, if you'd like.  

Thank you so much for your info. Busy these days but hoping to work on Boston very soon.

Sounds like a very busy time there while we are stopping. I will keep in touch for sure. More to come 😉

9 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Had dinner near Fanueil Hall last night, saw an Old Town Trolley go by at least every 5 minutes.  Duck Boats not much less often.  Others were much rarer

Good to know. Thank you!!

On 8/4/2022 at 10:52 AM, sunlover2 said:

Lol my daughter is at grad school at BU, comes home next week and goes back Labor Day weekend to move into a new apartment. Booked her on Amtrak and told her we would drive her stuff up the following weekend. We will Amazon her a bed.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, mom4mom said:

Has anyone had experience with Cityview Trolley?

I have used Old Town Trolleys in a few cities and they are very good.  The narration, their routes, the price paid:  no complaints from me.  

• Like 1