Question about using Verizon vs Odyssey of the Seas Voom

Headed on a  15 day TA from Rome, plus an extra 3 days on the front end.. I just can not go that long without making sure all is well at home. 😆 Dh and I are Diamond so I think I get 2 - 24 hr periods of free internet, but that leaves a long time uncovered. I have Verizon so I have been looking at International calling plans. They offer an international plan for $20 for 50 mb of data that can be used on the ship. That sure doesn't seem like much. The price of internet is ridiculous on the ship. All I really need it for is to check email daily to make sure all is well at home. Maybe to research or clarify a tour. Has anyone done this as opposed to the ship's internet? I will have to figure out the other separate plan for when I am on land. Thank you for your help. 

Verizon also offer days passes for use on land in ports of call.  That is different than their cruise ship plans. 

Talk to Verizon to understand their international day pass options and compare that to cost of Voom plans.  Choose whichever suits your budget best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Bite the bullet and get VOOM.

I understand, but to pay 20 some dollars a day for a 5 min log in to check email just seems ridiculous. It was so much better when you could just get the minute packages. I still might have to, just wondered if someone has used their provider. 

Can you spread it out?  

Use one of your 24-hour periods for the afternoon/evening of Day 3 and the morning of Day 4.  

Use one of your 24-hour periods for the afternoon/evening of Day 8 and the morning of Day 9.  

Pay $25ish on board for another 24-hour period later on.

Or befriend someone on your Roll Call and offer to buy them a drink (you can use a Diamond voucher!) in exchange for five minutes of their Voom access each day. 

Or stop at a cafe or something in each port and use their free wifi.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

I understand, but to pay 20 some dollars a day for a 5 min log in to check email just seems ridiculous.

Make friends with someone on your Roll Call and ask to borrow their Voom for those 5 min.

• Like 1