Nautica - PH vs. Vista Suites

adorocke

Hi there!  Going on our first Oceania cruise next month on Nautica (10 night Trieste - Barcelona).  We are currently booked in a PH, but there is a Vista (6002) available.  I am tempted but it is $5400 total additional...  For any who have stayed in a Vista on the R ships, it is worth it?  I have read alot about the negatives associated with the veranda/balcony (wind, bridge/light, etc.)...  It is my Mom and me.  Does the PH feel essentially like a decent/mid-size hotel room?  That is what I am expecting.  Any guidance would be appreciated!  I think I know my answer but would like to hear more.  TIA !   ~Ashley 

29 minutes ago, adorocke said:

Hi there!  Going on our first Oceania cruise next month on Nautica (10 night Trieste - Barcelona).  We are currently booked in a PH, but there is a Vista (6002) available.  I am tempted but it is $5400 total additional...  For any who have stayed in a Vista on the R ships, it is worth it?  I have read alot about the negatives associated with the veranda/balcony (wind, bridge/light, etc.)...  It is my Mom and me.  Does the PH feel essentially like a decent/mid-size hotel room?  That is what I am expecting.  Any guidance would be appreciated!  I think I know my answer but would like to hear more.  TIA !   ~Ashley 

FWIW: We spend as much as 100+\- nights per year on Oceania ships. Though itinerary is a big factor in deciding R vs O (or the new A) ships, we are very fond of the Rs (like Nautica) for their intimate size and overall ambiance - particularly on longer itineraries. 

With the understanding that I am speaking from a frame of reference as a long time yacht sailor, I find the size of the accommodations on a cruise ship to be a minor concern. Even the perception of a small bathroom on the R ships is of no concern to us. After all, it is larger than most heads on 60 foot CATs you’d find on family sized yacht charters and certainly larger than the 30’ sloop we owned fir many years.

And, while thoughts of a Butler and other upper class cabin amenities appear desirable, our factor weighing always leans to booking more desirable nights per year than spending money on stuff of little value (given the added cost).

Of course, for the occasional cruiser, the big splurge cabin may be worth it. But in OP’s case, a B level cabin only gets a handful of the complimentary added amenities. But the rest can be purchased as options with a lower cabin category (at a total price far less than the suite tab.  Other than that, access to all restaurants and entertainment is the same for everyone.

So I suggest that OP consider that probable next cruise in calculations of what’s preferred and affordable.

Only you can decide  if it is "worth it "  to you

The Vista suite  is more than double the size  of  a PH  

How much time do you spend in the cabin?

Do you suffer from the motion of the ocean ?

• Like 1

I suspect for the  difference in price you’ll be perfectly happy in the PH cabin. If you were on a much longer cruise that included many sea days, like an Oceania crossing, a Vista suite might be worth it because you’d spent more time in your cabin. I say this as someone who will sail his 40th Oceania cruise next Spring and being less than 2 weeks a PH is just great for us on that cruise. We’re doing a much longer cruise next month that includes a ocean crossing and will be in the Vista suite, which we love, on that cruise with so many sea days.

Value, or the perception of same is quite a personal judgement.  

I’ll comment on the 18 days we spent in a PH room in April on Regatta.  We thought the room was generously spaced for two, we never felt pinched or tight.  Butler service satisfied us, there was nothing I could have asked for in a Vista that wasn’t provided in my PH (full bottles of booze excluded).  Other factors:  we enjoyed the more central location near to the aft elevator, we didn’t (and generally don’t) order food aside from breakfast for in room dining (if you do you might benefit from a Vista).  We probably could spring for a Vista if we wished but honestly we’d prefer do additional sailings instead.

Thank you everyone! I think it is not worth it… The restrictions/intrusions (wind/anchor) make it even less so. If it were just $2-3k, it’d be an easier decision maybe for the interior space and separation. 

Just now, adorocke said:

Aloha1- I read your thread!  What are your thoughts?? 

I loved the space in the Vista and the two bathrooms but the PH was also very nice. obviously smaller but very well laid out and no noise from the bow thrusters or anchors  being dropped. I think you'd be happy with PH and an extra $5K to spend on other things.

• Thanks 1