Pacemaker

My mother cruised in January with a pacemaker. She always carries her paperwork with her, but no one ever asked for it. She did not need any type of note from her doctor.

Not sure about the scanner as she checked in with other family members and I wasn't there at that point

37 minutes ago, cruise to live said:

Also, is it safe to go through the scanners, unlike at the airport.

The security check process and the scanner used at the cruise terminal and on the ship should be very similar to an airport.

40 minutes ago, cruise to live said:

Do you need a note from your Dr. that you are healthy enough to go on a cruise, if you have a pacemaker.  Also, is it safe to go through the scanners, unlike at the airport.  Thank you:  Matt

I got my PM last year and have cruised a number of times since.  Never brought anything from my doctor and was never asked.

I never go through the scanner……a simple hand gesture to my left shoulder and mouthing the word “pacemaker” gets me taken care of with someone coming over to gently pat me down and I am on my way…..😎😎

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 2

I have had  a pacemaker for about 6 years and have gone thru the TSA scanners 3 times with no problems.  In fact I don't know where my paperwork for the pacemaker is, nor do I carry a note from my Cardiologist.  As a retired Medical Radiologic Technologist I  x-rayed many people with pacemakers with no harm.  I have also been on several jury trials and passed thru courthouse  magnetometers with no harm.  That being said, you should check with your DR's first.  I believe the TSA agents will do a Pat-down if requested.  In no way am I offering medical advice just stating my personal experiences.

XRAY

The scanner at our airport and the ship is not the same. At the airport it's a 360 scan with your hands in the air and it's pacemaker safe. The ship scanner is not, they will do a quick pat down.

Walter

4 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

I never go through the scanner……a simple hand gesture to my left shoulder and mouthing the word “pacemaker” gets me taken care of with someone coming over to gently pat me down and I am on my way…..😎😎

I do the same thing... I don't have a pacemaker, I just enjoy a good pat down.

• Haha 2

They don't pat you down at cruise ports.  They just use the wand.

Medical implants aren't a problem.  If you do set off the metal detector, just tell them you have a PM and they will wand you.  Checking in for one cruise they saw me limping a little and asked me about it.  I told them I had a plate on my ankle (titanium plate for break) but they wanded me anyway.  Titanium shouldn't set it off.  Other times I simply walked through.  They're used to lots of different types of medical implants, including PM's due to the demographics on most cruises.  There's a lot of hip and knee replacements and others like me with plates from previous broken bone surgery.  

Edited by BND

Pacemakers are now made of 3 or 4 types of metals.  Titanium is the majority component making up 99%.  Several studies I read said no harm at the ones onboard, port, or airport.  Titanium itself is non magnetic.  Always consult a Physician.  Do not go into a MRI with a pacemaker before consulting with a Physician.  Always tell the MRI Technologist about the pacemaker.  Medical xrays have no effect on the pacemaker.  

XRAY

17 minutes ago, xray0111 said:

Pacemakers are now made of 3 or 4 types of metals.  Titanium is the majority component making up 99%.  Several studies I read said no harm at the ones onboard, port, or airport.  Titanium itself is non magnetic.  Always consult a Physician.  Do not go into a MRI with a pacemaker before consulting with a Physician.  Always tell the MRI Technologist about the pacemaker.  Medical xrays have no effect on the pacemaker.  

XRAY

Pretty sure everyone who has a PM has been warned about traditional MRI.  I know my dad was.  The question was about going through the scanners/detectors at the port.  Security at the port sees a lot of people with medical inplants. 

• Like 1