Covid Testing for Seattle RT to Alaska?

jbpcalifornia

Can't find a clear answer.  With regard to the revised covid protocols, is a covid pre-boarding test required for an Alaska round trip cruise from Seattle with the usual stop in Victoria?  Or is the testing requirement indicated for Canada just for Alaska cruises embarking/disembarking in a Canadian port?  Thanks,

CruiserBruce is correct. The details are available on the NCL Covid requirements listing for the various countries who have different rules from the NCL basic requirements, and there is more available on the Canadian government web pages for cruise passengers. Make sure you check out how to use the ArriveCAN app, which is where you need to upload your vaccination info as well as (sometime within 72 hours before your cruise) your test results. There are different rules for different age groups, so be sure to check carefully if everyone in your party is not 12 or older.  I checked twice with NCL to be sure I had this right, since I was puzzled by their emails announcing the new relaxed requirements - but those new rules don't apply to cruises stopping at a Canadian port at any point in the cruise, even if you do not intend to leave the ship in Canada.

Regarding ArriveCAN , have researched but know you have to provide vaccination and passport information, but did miss that you had to provide negative covid test to their system.  Leaving on Alaska Cruise in Sept from Seattle, know the covid test is required to board the Ship.  the ArrivCan system is not an easy one.  Tried to upload before 72 hours, a no go.  Covid test required 2 days before sailing (antigen) supposedly can complete ArrivCAN 72 hrs. before.  urggh more confusion, will check ArriveCan again

• 2 weeks later...

Asking for someone who has never cruised before - does the ArriveCanada and negative Covid test requirement for a RT from Seattle stand if the cruisers don't plan on getting off in Victoria?

I have told my friend that he needs to have a negative Covid test and to do the ArriveCan app.  His "knows everything" daughter says they don't because they are not getting off the ship in Victoria.  

What do you all think?

The ArriveCan app is definitely required even if not leaving the ship.  With all of the covid protocols changing daily I can't definitely say the covid test will be required but I would hazard to guess the answer is yes for awhile at least.  If he doesn't believe you he can google "do I need to have arrivecan if I'm not getting off the cruise ship"....the answer instantly pops up 😄 .

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

No, @butterfly4108  the app is not required. You can do everything at the website and print or have a digital copy of the receipt and QR code.

Yes, @dlfntx, you need to do ArriveCan if you don't plan on getting off the ship.

I mistyped,  thanks for catching that I threw the "app" in there CruiserBruce, I need to proofread LOL! 😄 

59 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Anyone recently completed Arrrive CAN?  Did you need to "download" the negative covid test? I thought just vaccination record was needed.  And you showed Covid test at Pier?   

Correct...you only show your negative result at the dock.

20 hours ago, dlfntx said:

Asking for someone who has never cruised before - does the ArriveCanada and negative Covid test requirement for a RT from Seattle stand if the cruisers don't plan on getting off in Victoria?

I have told my friend that he needs to have a negative Covid test and to do the ArriveCan app.  His "knows everything" daughter says they don't because they are not getting off the ship in Victoria.  

What do you all think?

Daughter is WRONG.  Just off a Seattle to Seattle cruise and EVERYONE had to complete and turn in the ArriveCan form.  The cruise ship spent alot of time hunting down those who knew everything and did not submit the paperwork - almost held up our arrival.

Cruised to Alaska in mid August. At that time you needed to have a negative test to enter Canada, and provide proof of vaccination - whether getting off the ship or not - and everyone had to complete ArriveCan. The good news is that ArriveCan can be completed once arriving at the port or even when on the ship - so even if they don't complete ahead of time that shouldn't be a big issue. It's the testing that would be a major problem if they haven't completed prior to boarding.

30 minutes ago, vswan said:

Cruised to Alaska in mid August. At that time you needed to have a negative test to enter Canada, and provide proof of vaccination - whether getting off the ship or not - and everyone had to complete ArriveCan. The good news is that ArriveCan can be completed once arriving at the port or even when on the ship - so even if they don't complete ahead of time that shouldn't be a big issue. It's the testing that would be a major problem if they haven't completed prior to boarding.

You STILL need a negative test to board a ship that starts, ends or touches a Canadian port.

Your cruise line (several do) may require you to prove you have completed the ArriveCan requirements prior to boarding. You can do ArriveCan up to 72 hours prior to boarding the ship. We created our ArriveCan account about 5 days prior to our cruise, flew to Copenhagen, got our negative test, completed ArriveCan 2 days before sailing, for a cruise that didn't touch Canada for another 14 days!

And just a reminder for Alaska bound cruises - passengers age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated (2nd dose at least 14 days before embarkation / or the single J&J vaccine).  Any passengers arriving at Pier 91 for their Alaska cruise without proof of vaccination will be denied boarding.

This week saw an increase of passengers denied boarding due to erroneously believing that the vaccination requirement was dropped.  Vaccinations are still required due to the port-of-call in Canada. 

• Like 4