Brisbane Cruising Being Treated Crook By Princess

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Ā 

I wonder why that is? Do those ports have higher charges.

Maybe there are a few commercial reasons - meaning the cruiseline charges as much as it can because it has to make a profit. Current cruises are definitely priced lower than normal, maybe to encourage people back onto the water. In addition, a January cruise is at peak holiday time and is always more expensive than out of school holidays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortunatefew said:

A cruise ship was in Lautoka, Fiji last week.. Ā We are going on a 12 night cruise in January incorporating the Islands including Lautoka. Ā The cruise price appears to be higher on these itineraries.Ā 

Higher than what?

Ā 

If it's higher than the current restart itineraries that would not surprise me as fares on those were lower than usual.

Ā 

It's also peak season and school holidays.

• Like 1

Attractive itineraries sell well and don't get discounted. Hmm, there is a lesson for the cruise lines in itself. Still, if they become routine, they lose some of the attraction.

Ā 

The other obvious bit is that longer cruises are dearer than shorter cruises.

Ā 

Port charges play a part, but domestic cruises also have GST built into the fare. I don't know if Fiji is any more expensive with their port charges than anywhere else.Ā 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

I'd like to see more off the beaten pathĀ  itineraries.Ā  Niue, Palau, Nauru, Kiribati, other Cook Islands like Aitutaki and Atiu, Sulawesi, Timor, more PNG ports.

Off the beaten path ports can be problematic for the cruise line. They need a port that has the infrastructure to cope with a large number of visitors. In some ports (such as Mystery Is and the smaller PNG islands) there aren't any shore tours, but the cruise lines prefer islands where they can sell shore tours. I am not complaining - they have to make their money somewhere to pay for their staff and other overheads.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

I'd like to see more off the beaten pathĀ  itineraries.Ā  Niue, Palau, Nauru, Kiribati, other Cook Islands like Aitutaki and Atiu, Sulawesi, Timor, more PNG ports.

So would I. Ā I don't understand why small ships don't visit these wonderful islands. Ā Often shore activities are included in the price of small ship cruises, which explains why they are more expensive. Ā 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tikibird said:

Yes I like the idea of that, it would mean lots of tender porting, but it would be worth it IMHO.šŸ‘

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Off the beaten path ports can be problematic for the cruise line. They need a port that has the infrastructure to cope with a large number of visitors. In some ports (such as Mystery Is and the smaller PNG islands) there aren't any shore tours, but the cruise lines prefer islands where they can sell shore tours. I am not complaining - they have to make their money somewhere to pay for their staff and other overheads.

Maybe that's another reason why their more expensive?šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Thinking about tender ports.

What do you think about them, are they a put off? or great as you get to see ports that we would otherwise miss?

What is your favourite tender port, and why?

Ā 

45 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

What do you think about them, are they a put off? or great as you get to see ports that we would otherwise miss?

Ā 

Now I need a wheelchair, not keen on too many tender Ports, before that I was fine with them.

• Like 1

Personally I don't mind tender ports that much but I do prefer not to have them. Tenders do take that bit longer for debarkation and embarkation again, weather plays more of a factor on missing ports and/or how comfortableĀ  it is getting on and off the ship. I have missed docked ports due to weather as well but only a couple rather than many that were tendered.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Personally I don't mind tender ports that much but I do prefer not to have them. Tenders do take that bit longer for debarkation and embarkation again, weather plays more of a factor on missing ports and/or how comfortableĀ  it is getting on and off the ship. I have missed docked ports due to weather as well but only a couple rather than many that were tendered.

I agree with those comments.

8 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Ā 

Easter Island.

For the Moai statues.

Very few cruise ships mange to get their tenders in, because of the rough seas.

Plus, a narrow rocky entrance to a small dock

We have managed only once out of three attempts

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

Easter Island.

For the Moai statues.

Wow that is impressive that you've had three attempts to land at Easter Island and made one! Ā Were these cruises from South America or Tahiti?

Cruising on small ships there are a lot of tender ports. Many to exotic places, so hard to pick a favourite. Ā Last tender ports were Cooktown and small Queensland coastal islands. Ā However I don't like tender ports on big ships with a lot of passengers. Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ekka49 said:

Easter Island.

For the Moai statues.

We've had two goes, not successful!šŸ¤¬

Hoping third time lucky in 2024 WC.šŸ˜ƒšŸ™šŸ¤ž

2018 we thought it was a goer, but alas cancelled at last minute.

We were all lined up ready to head for the tenders.

I think we were around 30th inline.ā˜¹ļø

Edited by Ozwoody

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow that is impressive that you've had three attempts to land at Easter Island and made one! Ā Were these cruises from South America or Tahiti?

World cruises out of Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thinking about Easter Island, I started thinking about WC's, we always turn south when we come through the Panama Canal, WHY?

Why could we not turn north, there are a lot more places I would love to visit in that direction.šŸ¤”

Who would prefer a right turn, and where would you wish to visit that way???šŸ¤¤

51 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi thinking about Easter Island, I started thinking about WC's, we always turn south when we come through the Panama Canal, WHY?

Why could we not turn north, there are a lot more places I would love to visit in that direction.šŸ¤”

Who would prefer a right turn, and where would you wish to visit that way???šŸ¤¤

Because Australia is south of the equator. Turning north would certainly be more interesting but would add many more days to the itinerary. South lets them line up for the run across to Tahiti etc.