Missing MedallionNet purchase on App? Please post about onboard experience...

SomewhereGirl

7 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Just bumping this thread up in hopes someone who boarded this weekend will see it and report their experience.  I'm still waiting for a callback but I didn't really expect one over the weekend.

Would be great if someone posts their experience.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:10 AM, amajaa said:

We are also sailing in 6 days and the price has more than doubled since last week. I am kicking myself for not ordering then but on the other hand why had it gone up, they definitely haven't given us the 50% off now. Also don't want to order onboard as it will be even more. 

Did you ever get through to PCL to purchase the MedallionNet at your discounted price?  How did they handle that?  TIA

15 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Just bumping this thread up in hopes someone who boarded this weekend will see it and report their experience.  I'm still waiting for a callback but I didn't really expect one over the weekend.

Did you purchase yours already, before the bug?  Or, are you waiting for the call back?  If you have not purchased, purchase it from the CS agent that calls you back with your loyalty discount. 

I would not wait till your OB.

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you ever get through to PCL to purchase the MedallionNet at your discounted price?  How did they handle that?  TIA

No but our TA did and they said Princess said they would honour the before boarding price if you go to guest services. Tbh I am not sure they will but we shall see. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you purchase yours already, before the bug?  Or, are you waiting for the call back?  If you have not purchased, purchase it from the CS agent that calls you back with your loyalty discount. 

I already purchased on the App at the 50% Platinum discount.  A few weeks later it disappeared.  Initially I had called to try to purchase with the discount using a gift card but they would not sell it to me at the 50% and I didn't want to go through the whole OBC onboard refund stuff so I just paid on the App and will use the gift card for other stuff.

The discount shows on my Travel Summary (50% of the 12-day pricing) but I want it to show on the App like it did for weeks.  🤬

image.png.2059c2efe609782732d5166cb3e3dc0b.png

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, amajaa said:

No but our TA did and they said Princess said they would honour the before boarding price if you go to guest services. Tbh I am not sure they will but we shall see. 

Good. Glad you did it through your TA.

If you hear OB, what they do, let us know.

Have fun!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I already purchased on the App at the 50% Platinum discount.  A few weeks later it disappeared.  Initially I had called to try to purchase with the discount using a gift card but they would not sell it to me at the 50% and I didn't want to go through the whole OBC onboard refund stuff so I just paid on the App and will use the gift card for other stuff.

The discount shows on my Travel Summary (50% of the 12-day pricing) but I want it to show on the App like it did for weeks.  🤬

image.png.2059c2efe609782732d5166cb3e3dc0b.png

So, you bought it again, at full price on the App?

18 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, you bought it again, at full price on the App?

Definitely not.  If the prepurchase doesn't show up when I board on Thursday I'll be spending time at Guest Services.  Maybe it'll all be fine but I have low expectations so I'd like someone to post that they've been through it and it all worked out in the end.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Definitely not.  If the prepurchase doesn't show up when I board on Thursday I'll be spending time at Guest Services.  Maybe it'll all be fine but I have low expectations so I'd like someone to post that they've been through it and it all worked out in the end.

Okay good. I sure hope they get back to

you.  That’s why I wanted to know, for those who have prepurchased, before the bug, if they are able to just logon once OB and use the internet?  In other words, did it recognize the prepurchase?

Others, that now have to pay full price, due to the bug, are they honoring the loyalty discount once OB, by automatically giving that OBC on their folio?

Or, do they have to go to GS, to get that discount OBC on their account?

Following up on my own thread:

I just boarded Emerald Princess.  The MedallionNet that I a couple of weeks ago on the App with the 50% Platinum discount, and disappeared from the App last week, that I called about 5-6 times, is working onboard.  I don't know if it would've work anyway or if this is a result of the app update I did this morning.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Following up on my own thread:

I just boarded Emerald Princess.  The MedallionNet that I a couple of weeks ago on the App with the 50% Platinum discount, and disappeared from the App last week, that I called about 5-6 times, is working onboard.  I don't know if it would've work anyway or if this is a result of the app update I did this morning.  

Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully, the website prevails.

The App update did not mention any fix for MedallionNet, nor is it working now.

Would be great if we get feedback from those who had to pay FULL price for the MedallionNet and if they are automatically seeing the 50% discount on their folio in OBC?  IF each ship is aware of the error by IT?  

ENJOY your cruise!

On 8/21/2022 at 1:08 PM, amajaa said:

An update as onboard now . After being sent from pillar to post on the ship we eventually found the Medallion manager who knew all about the problems. He charged me 90 dollars and put 30 dollars back into our onboard account. I think it should have been cheaper than 60 dollars for one device but I wasn't going to argue over 10 dollars. When he put the 30 dollars back on he seemed to have a list of other people with same problem. 

56 minutes ago, amajaa said:

An update as onboard now . After being sent from pillar to post on the ship we eventually found the Medallion manager who knew all about the problems. He charged me 90 dollars and put 30 dollars back into our onboard account. I think it should have been cheaper than 60 dollars for one device but I wasn't going to argue over 10 dollars. When he put the 30 dollars back on he seemed to have a list of other people with same problem. 

How many days was the cruise?

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

So, you ended up with the Medallion Class Mgr or what we used to call the Internet Cafe Mgr (possiblt the MedallionNet Mgr now)? 

Your math doesn't look right for you.  9 days @ $10/day or 6 days @ $15/day?  It would be terrible if they charged you $15/day when you could not order pre-cruise.  Not sure why your credit back was only $30 - doesn't seem like 50%.  Although a 6-day cruise pre-cruise would be $30 net charge ($60 less 50%).  Even if you had to pay the on-board price of $15/day, you should be discounted 50% of that. 

Still puzzling, but I hope you were treated correctly.

5 hours ago, amajaa said:

How long is your cruise?  I have would be fuming if I didn’t get half off

of the 9.99 a day.  This should be an automatic process now that the App is not working.  If you’re on the Emerald 12 night it should be full 1 device $120.00 and your discount is 50%. You should be credited $60.00.  Maybe your on a 6 night?

I pleased to hear they knew all about it, but GS should take care of this also.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:39 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Would be great if someone posts their experience.

I am on board now and I purchased the Discounted Internet Package and it disappeared from the Medallion App.  

The purchase did show on my Travel Summary. 

I went to the Internet cafe and he had me connect to the WiFi and then brought up the Medallion App and go to the Medallion Net and there it was! No problem at all. 

A note to Apple users. I had to turn off the 

“Private Wifi Address” under the MedallionNet setting in the WiFi.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, Steelers36 said:

So, you ended up with the Medallion Class Mgr or what we used to call the Internet Cafe Mgr (possiblt the MedallionNet Mgr now)? 

Your math doesn't look right for you.  9 days @ $10/day or 6 days @ $15/day?  It would be terrible if they charged you $15/day when you could not order pre-cruise.  Not sure why your credit back was only $30 - doesn't seem like 50%.  Although a 6-day cruise pre-cruise would be $30 net charge ($60 less 50%).  Even if you had to pay the on-board price of $15/day, you should be discounted 50% of that. 

Still puzzling, but I hope you were treated correctly.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:55 PM, PacnGoNow said:

How long is your cruise?  I have would be fuming if I didn’t get half off

of the 9.99 a day.  This should be an automatic process now that the App is not working.  If you’re on the Emerald 12 night it should be full 1 device $120.00 and your discount is 50%. You should be credited $60.00.  Maybe your on a 6 night?

I pleased to hear they knew all about it, but GS should take care of this also.

Sorry for confusion. Yes we were charged the correct amount in dollars. My query was I expected to pay £43.14, which was the original price on the app after the 50% .  I was epecting to pay the conversion rate at the time. I did realise the $60 was the correct price in dollars which is why I never complained.

On another note the internet reception is terrible , we can't get our ring doorbell info to come through at all. The number of people queuing up at the internet cafe with complaints is amazing. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pshaze said:

I am on board now and I purchased the Discounted Internet Package and it disappeared from the Medallion App.  

The purchase did show on my Travel Summary. 

I went to the Internet cafe and he had me connect to the WiFi and then brought up the Medallion App and go to the Medallion Net and there it was! No problem at all. 

A note to Apple users. I had to turn off the 

“Private Wifi Address” under the MedallionNet setting in the WiFi.

Thank you for that report.  That’s good to know what is shown in the cruise personalizer is correct. You should not have to go to the Internet manager if you booked at the 50% discount before they messed up the App.  Only, if you had a problem getting on to the internet once OB. 
For those who have to purchase the full amount ahead of time, their folio should show the loyalty discount once OB in OBC. 

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

Sorry for confusion. Yes we were charged the correct amount in dollars. My query was I expected to pay £43.14, which was the original price on the app after the 50% .  I was epecting to pay the conversion rate at the time. I did realise the $60 was the correct price in dollars which is why I never complained.

On another note the internet reception is terrible , we can't get our ring doorbell info to come through at all. The number of people queuing up at the internet cafe with complaints is amazing. 

It would be interested to know

what the MedallionNet Mgr knows about the slow internet service in Europe at this time?  

I’ve asked on several ships, as I’ve heard this after the invasion of Ukraine started in Feb. I’ve been told that the bandwidth was very low in Europe, because
they were sourcing High Earth orbit
satellites and significant
bandwidth had been allocated for
government use because of the Ukraine war.

It seemed to make sense, as the TA’s started afterwards in March and April and they all were reporting bad internet on the ships, once they were a few days out of Florida.

Alternatively, it was very good in the Caribbean because they source Medium Earth orbit satellites. No problems even in March and April.

From what I've read on CC the past few weeks I expected the internet to be much much slower.  I've been able to surf the web, send and receive emails with pictures, and stream YouTube TV.  I mainly do this earlier in the morning.  I'm on a high, far forward deck on Emerald Princess.  Does location on the ship have anything to do with it?  I'm closer to the satellite?  🤔

I don't have fancy devices (Android phone and tablet).  I do have to remember to swap devices the app for my 1-device plan or the new device will say cannot connect.

Also, when I open the app, if it's slow to load, if I close and reopen it seems to load faster the second time.  

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

From what I've read on CC the past few weeks I expected the internet to be much much slower.  I've been able to surf the web, send and receive emails with pictures, and stream YouTube TV.  I mainly do this earlier in the morning.  I'm on a high, far forward deck on Emerald Princess.  Does location on the ship have anything to do with it?  I'm closer to the satellite?  🤔

I don't have fancy devices (Android phone and tablet).  I do have to remember to swap devices the app for my 1-device plan or the new device will say cannot connect.

Also, when I open the app, if it's slow to load, if I close and reopen it seems to load faster the second time.  

Happy to hear it’s good for you.  IDK, but I doubt the location is a big difference. But, as long as it works, right?  

There are many changes going on with the cruise lines trying to improve the internet. SpaceX is being tried out by one line that I know of.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had bought the 4 device package a few weeks ago at the 50% discount price for Elite.  A few days later we also noticed it was listed in our travel summary but not in the app.

When we boarded the Island Princess on Sunday, we logged into the MedallionNet and the app showed our 4 device package and that we were both now connected.  No issues with accessing it.

The internet service so far has been very slow.  Speedtests when we boarded were at 0.26 MB/sec download and slightly faster uploads.  Monday could not get a speedtest to even run.  Trying it now at 5 a.m. and pages are loading faster with Speedtest downloads at 0.3 MB/sec.  No streaming can run at these speeds.  Basic email can be received and so far have made a couple of WiFi calls.

Edited by UT-Volsfan