Ask me questions about Scenic - Spaceships-Bordeaux Cruise etc

pontac

I am writing this on Scenic Diamond, a Scenic 'Spaceship' cruising from the Medoc, about to pass Bordeaux city and up Garonne river to Cadillac. It is day 5 of the cruise. I will post a detailed review at end, but when I posted after my Rhine Getaway in April I was asked questions about the facilities that I could have answered if I was still on board.

So ask any questions now, and when I can find the answers while I am on board. 

This is my first cruise with Scenic after 10 river cruises with Viking.

No.

No sign of general mask wearing on or off board. No requirement to wear masks on excursion coaches.

I saw the odd person wearing a mask in Bordeaux. This morning we had a walking tour through Bourg and I didn't see anyone wearing a mask.

BTW thanks for your question, the first I have had. I'm afraid when I post the review of this trip there will be questions I can no longer answer but that I could if asked while I was still on the boat.   

Edited by pontac

Hi. My 80 year old mom, 26 year old daughter and I are starting this cruise next Saturday. Any advice is most welcome. We were unable to sign up for any of the bike tours. They were all filled and so were the Culinaraire classes. Do you know if it is possible to sign up when we arrive on the ship? Also are there opportunities to take the bikes and just ride around on your own? Hope you are enjoying the cruise. What is evening entertainment like? Also any input on the different excursions you too would be great.  We usually prefer to explore on our own but doesn't seem like that makes sense because of time contraints thanks

We were on the Scenic Gem on Seine in May.  They did allow people to take the bikes out on their own when not on an excursion.  Maybe some people that signed up for the excursions will decide not to go on them and that will open up some spots.  Let the cruise director know what you would like to do and they will make every effort to make it happen.

Basically on Scenic if you want something or to do something ask it doesn’t phase them and the crew will do their best to make it happen. On our Bordeaux cruise so many wanted to do one bike event they hired loads of extra bikes locally. Unfortunately some cruisers memories of bike riding was just a tad out of date but it made a very interesting viewing hour.

19 hours ago, Mhdelaware said:

. We were unable to sign up for any of the bike tours. They were all filled and so were the Culinaraire classes. Do you know if it is possible to sign up when we arrive on the ship?

You can sign up on board, and if the expedition/class is full you’ll go on a wait list. You can borrow bikes – there are plenty – and go on your own when the boat is moored

Be aware that the bikes are heavy and that the electric is only an assist – not a replacement for pedalling. Five people came back soon after starting the bike ride from Blaye today because there was too little power and they didn’t think they could cycle the whole journey. To go to Ch. Riviere there is a choice of biking or coach. One man who had biked there came back on the coach because he was exhausted and didn’t think he could cycle back.

Only ten people can attend each culinary class and there are not many (I think 5 but I need to check that) so there are not enough places for everyone on board to attend. We could not.

19 hours ago, Mhdelaware said:

What is evening entertainment like? Also any input on the different excursions you too would be great.

One night everyone is bussed to a Chateau for a concert given by a quartet – two violins, one cello and one clarinet. Lasts about 45-50 mins.

Another night everyone is bussed the short distance from where ship is moored in Bordeaux to the wartime submarine pens for a light show. It is of paintings of Venice projected onto the walls and floor and animated. There are 4 pens and you can walk through to them all seeing a different show. Both evenings you get a glass of sparkling wine at the start.

Otherwise entertainment is in the lounge with a resident pianist and quizzes. One night a guest guitarist came on board to play.

There is a good choice of excursions. We don’t like early starts so chose the one that started latest. Since we all have different interests you should choose the ones that you fancy.

Bordeaux is centre of wine and it’s the major business here. The cruise visits the impressive Ch Rivierre which feature a tour of their cellars – some 7 km of limestone tunnels and chambers but don’t worry, you don’t do but a fraction of them. Then there is a tasting of their wines.

There is also a tour to a Medoc winery. Half the people go to one place, half to another. We were taken to Ch Lagrange, a 2nd growth in St Julian. Then there is a tour to a Sauternes Ch, again half go to one, half to another. You don’t know which you will go to.

We were lucky with Ch Lafaurie-Peyraguey, a 1st growth Sauternes owned by a crystal magnate. Even the door handles are made of fine crystal. A tasting of a dry and a sweet wine. If you are not into wine – and the vast majority on this trip are not – then this won’t mean anything to you. If you are, check Winesearcher.com to see if these wines are available to you at home as if so it will save you the trouble of carrying them in your baggage. Also if you have a particular preference for the Medoc or Sauternes winery ask the tour director to see if you can go on the appropriate coach.

If you’re interested in fine chateaux – here a chateau can mean a wine estate, a manor house or a castle. There are excursions to all three.

The rivers Dordogne and Garonne and estuary Gironde the cruise travels along are tidal. The good aspect is that there is plenty of water unlike those poor souls booked on the Rhine and Danube whose cruises are cancelled because there isn’t enough water to navigate on, but at Bordeaux, 50 miles from the Atlantic, the river rises and falls by 20 feet so sometimes the gang plank is at a very steep angle and needs efforts to walk along.

On day of arrival lunch/departure is available in lounge from 12:00 -15:00

I hope this info is not too late for you @Mhdelaware I tried to post yesterday shortly after you asked but my posts didn't appera then either the internet connection or this board weren't responding.

I am posting this Saturday morning; we leave the boat at 14:00, so you may well meet us.

Posting again, lets hope it works this time

Edited by pontac

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Basically on Scenic if you want something or to do something ask it doesn’t phase them and the crew will do their best to make it happen

They didn't have butter at breakfast this morning! We moored in Bordeaux yesterday afternoon and are still here. 

There are shops in this major city  a few minutes walk from the boat. No one here had the wit or maybe the authority to get an emergency pack of butter. They didn't "make it happen".

thanks so much for all the information. It is so nice to have an idea of what to expect. We arrive a week from today so plenty of time to digest all the info you gave us. We do enjoy wine but also like exploring towns so we will mix it up. Hope you enjoyed your trip even with some of the shortcomings. Can't wait to read your detailed post. 

Ch Lafaurie-Peyraguey is a compound of hotel, winery and 2* Michelin restaurant and part of the Lalique company.  It seems to be an excursion for other cruise lines as well.  We’re booked to go on an upcoming Silver Sea cruise.  Their wines are easily available in the US and surprisingly inexpensive for sauternes.

That's so @Gourmet Gal - although I don't know about US availability. The cost for the 2018 vintage at the Chateau is €60 for a bottle; that includes 20% VAT so it may well be cheaper in the USA.

They have a few half-bottles, but you have the pay an extra €9 for the wooden box they come in. The Chateau is tremendously attractive.

But - with Scenic you do not know which place you are going to, and it may be different in 2023.

For UK readers, The Wine Society has the 2016 vintage at £47 a bottle.

Edited by pontac

In the past when enjoying wine tasting with Scenic if we were interested in following up on a particular wine we would enquire as to the U.K. importers, as we have done on land tours around the world. We’ve discovered many wonderful wines usually only imported by London vintners but no problem although usually just a little expensive.

23 hours ago, Canal archive said:

we would enquire as to the U.K. importers,

Yes, that is what I do. But Winesearcher.com is valuable to show local stockists, especially in the USA where distribution of wine is patch because of the uncompetitive 3-tier system

But Bordeaux is different. The big name wineries don't deal with importers, they have an arrangement with an agent - known as a courtier - who buys their entire production before its bottled. It's the courtier that sells the wines to importers in other countries. It's rare to find a well known winery that keeps a few bottles to sell themselves to visitors 

We are leaving for Bordeaux from unites

stated tomorrow night. Question about where to board since we are on our own to get there. Do you remember if it was quai des chartrons as stated in paperwork and does it make more sense to get to ship around 4 instead of earlier since I read that cabins might the not be ready? Thanks for help

did they give you a specific address as quai des Chartons is the riverfront drive/scenic walkway.  when i was there a month ago, i did take a photo from near Quincones that had ship in the background.  As I walked the riverfront I got to the ship.  There were flags for Viking, but it was not a Viking ship. It was the AMA Amadolce.

Edited by slidergirl