Ask me questions about Scenic - Spaceships-Bordeaux Cruise etc

pontac

MH I’ve been doing this a bit now and still run into all kinds of problems but there are some lovely 🥰 people who put you on the right path. You’ll find your vessel and you’ll have a super time just raise a glass to CC for those who aren’t cruising this year, boo hoo like me. Enjoy.

17 hours ago, Mhdelaware said:

Question about where to board since we are on our own to get there. Do you remember if it was quai des chartrons as stated in paperwork

The boats all moor along the Quai des Chartrons, time I have been there they are closer to the  Pont Jacques Chaban-Delmas bridge (this is a large modern bridge with 4 towers)

. If you are going there direct from the airport or railway station  tell the taxi driver to take you to a boat on the Quai des Chartrons. As you can see on Google maps the road is wide and also has tram trackway. then there is a wide space the closest to the water a wide promenade with a bike lane. All the same you should be able to spot your boat from the taxi. Scenic Diamond has it's name in large shiny metal characters. The taxi can park off-road on the wide space, but there are three or four steps down to the promenade. I suggest one of you goes to the boat and tell reception while the others wait with the cases and a crew member will get the cases and take them to your room.

Don't try to get your cases on board yourself. The gang plank can be very steep, has ropes edging and a 90 degree turn to get on to the ship.

As I said earlier, there's a buffet lunch on board for joining guests available from 12:00-15:00 -- and that includes drinks...

They never explained what caused the delay in us getting our rooms ready, but I think it must have been a failure that affected all rooms rather than just a matter of the room not being made up. I expect your rooms will be ready when you arrive.

scenic-diamond.jpg

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for extra info. We are taking cab from Novotel in Bordeaux. And will follow your advice. So great to know how to look for boat. And to get help with bags. Getting excited. Please send positive vibes for me to make my connection in CDG with less than two hours and need to go through immigration and change terminals! 

31 minutes ago, Mhdelaware said:

Thank you so much for extra info. We are taking cab from Novotel in Bordeaux. And will follow your advice. So great to know how to look for boat. And to get help with bags. Getting excited. Please send positive vibes for me to make my connection in CDG with less than two hours and need to go through immigration and change terminals! 

Good luck!

if you can't get into your cabin right away, take the time to do the wonderful walk on the riverside promenade!  

43 minutes ago, Mhdelaware said:

We are taking cab from Novotel in Bordeaux. And will follow your advice. So great to know how to look for boat. And to get help with bags. Getting excited. Please send positive vibes for me to make my connection in CDG with less than two hours and need to go through immigration and change terminals! 

There are three Novotels in Bordeaux (and one at the airport). If you are staying at 

Novotel Bordeaux Centre at 45 Cours du Marechal Juin you can walk to the river and find your boat the evening before.

Don't delay at CDG, we had to change planes at the same terminal and there was a very long line at immigration and security. I wish you a shorter line.

I will move as fast as I can! One more question. Was concert night at chateau dressy? Was it inside? And also was dinner attire on the ship more business attire? Seems like they suggest you veer away from casual. Just want to know how much dress clothes to include. 

Speaking of ....... I've read Scenic is a relaxed attire cruise, but I'm seeing jackets and ties in photos/videos. DH is now officially sworn off jackets, but will agree to hump it overseas if he is the odd man out. What are pax observing at the dinner table. (majority of pax)

My husband has only taken a jacket if our cruise has been early spring or late autumn as the air con in the restaurant can be a little cool so I always take a wrap. Smart casual is absolutely fine, maybe a little more dressy for table de rive or Portabellos or if your celebrating a special anniversary. 

7 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Speaking of ....... I've read Scenic is a relaxed attire cruise, but I'm seeing jackets and ties in photos/videos. DH is now officially sworn off jackets, but will agree to hump it overseas if he is the odd man out. What are pax observing at the dinner table. (majority of pax)

For some reason most of the cruise companies do this. They show people in their brochures that are much more formally dressed than most people that I have seen on any of the 4 river cruises I've been on (with 3 different companies).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mhdelaware said:

Was concert night at chateau dressy? Was it inside? And also was dinner attire on the ship more business attire?

Concert night was at Ch d’Argassac where we were greeted with a glass of fizz and taken, not into the splendid Chateau, but to a neighbouring hall (Mrs P said afterwards she thought it was the barrel cellar) for a 50 minute concert by a quartet comprising two violins, one cello and one clarinet. The repertoire had music from the classics to Gershwin. Only Scenic Diamond people were there.

(Later edit - I realise now you were asking about people's dress at the concert, not whether the concert was at Chateau d'Ressy! - people wore the same they had on at dinner, as there was an early dinner directly before we were bussed to the concert. See photo below for what  3 people were wearing.)

There was all sorts of dress at dinner. I always wore a jacket and Mrs P a dress, but others didn't. TBH I didn't take much notice of what people wore. They were smart and no-one was wearing a baseball cap for dinner, Huzzah!

If you are on the top deck (room numbers starting with a 3) you were invited to join Table La Rive for "an evening of sumptuous dégustation.". if your room number starts with 1 or 2 you are promised one invitation to L'Amour  for a "five-course menu with regional specialities, paired with wines from the region’s best wineries*." Our room started with 2, so I can't tell you about Table La Rive, but I wore a jacket and  tie for L'Amour but most men didn't.

I suggest you wear what makes you comfortable, don't go dressy if you're not comfortable with it, don't wear t-shirts and shorts even if you are comfortable in them.

*they weren't  the region’s best wineries.

20220820_Ch d’Argassac.jpg

20220820_Ch d’Argassac-musicians.jpg

Edited by pontac

One thing before or after you board, if you have time:  be sure to go to a Cannele store and try a cannele!!!  it's a Bordeaux specialty and one of the best sweet things i've ever had.  My hotel (hotel du tourny) was 2 blocks or so from Baillardran Canneles.  They do have several shops around town, including in the train station.  hard to describe, butg so freakin' good.  a hard shell, cake-y interior with the very center still cake-y but custardy.  Look them up.  you have to have one!

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

One thing before or after you board, if you have time:  be sure to go to a Cannele store and try a cannele!!!  it's a Bordeaux specialty and one of the best sweet things i've ever had.  My hotel (hotel du tourny) was 2 blocks or so from Baillardran Canneles.  They do have several shops around town, including in the train station.  hard to describe, butg so freakin' good.  a hard shell, cake-y interior with the very center still cake-y but custardy.  Look them up.  you have to have one!

Baillardran is like the Hershey or Cadbury of cannelés. They are good but... a little on the pricey side. Many shops in Bordeaux make and offer cannelés and I've never been disappointed. Careful!  They are addictive.  😍 

You don't need to make an effort to find Canneles as they will find you. They were given out before the Ch d’Argassac concert. 

If you want to buy some, perhaps to take home (if allowed) the there's plenty of opportunity when moored at Bordeaux during the cruise.

What is the complimentary laundry concierge service on the Scenic Diamond? In other words, how much laundry can you have done for your cabin and how frequently? 

My husband and I will be embarking on the Scenic Sapphire (sister ship to the Diamond, I believe) in a few weeks for the South of France cruise. Just want to have an idea of how much laundry we can have done so we can figure out how much to pack.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

16 hours ago, caseyspack said:

What is the complimentary laundry concierge service on the Scenic Diamond? In other words, how much laundry can you have done for your cabin and how frequently? 

The complimentary laundry for middle and lower deck cabins is one small bag up to a maximum weight of 1 kg one time only. It's per cabin, not per person. Don't expect to be able to get a weeks worth of laundry for both of you in the bag. 

You can pay for additional laundry to be done. The bag and laundry list costs is in the wardrobe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pontac said:

The complimentary laundry for middle and lower deck cabins is one small bag up to a maximum weight of 1 kg one time only. It's per cabin, not per person. Don't expect to be able to get a weeks worth of laundry for both of you in the bag. 

You can pay for additional laundry to be done. The bag and laundry list costs is in the wardrobe

That is still a nice perk that other river cruise lines do not offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

That is still a nice perk that other river cruise lines do not offer.

Agree.

I was answering the question asked by @caseyspack Anyone expecting all their laundry will be done free of charge  will be disappointed. 

Edited by pontac

Quick update: all is going well on the cruise. Made the connection with a half hour to spare although it was a little confusing and luckily the flight was delayed so had some time to collect myself. I needed to know to follow signs for transfer and not go to regular immigration. We found the boat no

problem. As everyone said they are all lined up along the river and clearly marked. All the excursions have been fun and mellow. We liked walking around Bordeaux and exploring. We enjoyed wine museum. And in addition to cannele which are great and as Pontac said we are given them before concert too. Another good sweet are the kouigh aman from Larnicol and cream puffs from dunes blanch if you happen to be walking past. Thanks again for help and tips.