Unexplained charge

Renmar

We are cruising on the QM@ August 28 . The cruise was paid for completely last June. Today we checked our MC  and there is an unexplained charge from Cunard in the amount of $ 1.29. I know, it is a shocking charge but it means they charged something almost 3 months after final payment. I feel if they can charge a little amount as this the probably could charge any amount without approval

The charge says:

19/08/2022 CUK QMary II USD $1.29

Anybody an idea what it could be, I would ask Cunard but can not reach them.

Theo

Theo

It is quite possible the charge is the equivalent of £ 1.00

It's common for a cruise line to make a $ 1.00 charge to make sure the credit card is still valid and active. Since we started cruising in 1981 this has been a common occurence for us.

• Like 1

A UK Pound is currently on the order of 1.5 Canadian dollars or higher.

Lines can adjust port fees right up until sailing although I think (for no good reason) that it would be unusual for the change to be as small as a dollar or two.

6 hours ago, crickette said:

Theo

It is quite possible the charge is the equivalent of £ 1.00

It's common for a cruise line to make a $ 1.00 charge to make sure the credit card is still valid and active. Since we started cruising in 1981 this has been a common occurence for us.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

A UK Pound is currently on the order of 1.5 Canadian dollars or higher.

Lines can adjust port fees right up until sailing although I think (for no good reason) that it would be unusual for the change to be as small as a dollar or two.

Thank you both for you info. I thought it might be something like that. It is actually the equivalent of $ 1.00 US so I think @crickette is right, just a test.

Theo

Also might be a service charge for foreign currency transaction? Cunard banking is through UK banks, and although their charges for services are in US dollars, they convert to UK pounds for UK customers, and this incurs an admin charge. Similarly if you are in Canadian currency on your credit card. You could check with the card company rather than Cunard to ask if that was the case.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers

Whatever it is it should have not been added to your card. If they do that erroneous charge a thousand times over a year across all 3 ships then it is a nice little profit. These charges are becoming far too regular and some for a lot more and they should be challenged and should be stopped happening.

38 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whatever it is it should have not been added to your card. If they do that erroneous charge a thousand times over a year across all 3 ships then it is a nice little profit. These charges are becoming far too regular and some for a lot more and they should be challenged and should be stopped happening.

I guess it depends who 'they' are.  It may be the bank and not Cunard, so it is necessary to ask the bank. Of course banks normally will apply a fee for a foreign currency transaction.

11 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

I guess it depends who 'they' are.  It may be the bank and not Cunard, so it is necessary to ask the bank. Of course banks normally will apply a fee for a foreign currency transaction.

Yes but banks would charge more foreign currency transaction than $1-29. We got charged over $100 on QE last November but we're lucky enough to be onboard and got it sorted. But these erroneous charges whilst onboard or after the cruise are happening too frequently and Cunard are responsible and have to sort it out.

Has this amount actually been charged, or does it show as pending? I suspect the latter.

I usually get this shortly before a cruise, as part of Cunard testing the card is active and valid in time to be used for your on board account. They do this by requesting a nominal account be posted to the account, which shows as a ‘pending’ or ‘upcoming’ payment, but the amount is never actually deducted - it hangs around for quite some time as a future charge that never IS charged.

This practice does affect your overall remaining credit should you max out your card, as it counts as a potential payment, but you’ll never see it on a bill. And since it’s such a tiny amount (£1!) even that isn’t something I tend to worry about - it’s not disadvantaging me.

I’m pretty sure this was highlighted as something that would happen as part of adding my credit card as part of the booking process; but different locations/venues/travel agents may vary.

Essentially, I don’t think you need to worry here.

Edited by Jonem2001
  • Like 2

Did you recently complete the online checkin with Cunard and add/confirm which credit or debit card you wanted to use for your onboard account?  If so this is a small pre-authorisation to confirm you have provided the correct details.  I had the same on my card just before my cruise earlier this year.

The charge disappeared from my CC so I think that most of you were right and that it was just to check if the card is valid.

Just to have a little fun; Say the limit on the CC is $ 50.00 then the $ 1,29 would not help them very much. 3 glasses of wine would clear the balance 😉

Theo