Panama 15 days on the Joy excursion help.

Ptroxx

I’ve just booked Panama, Los Angeles to Miami for 15 day on the Joy in January. 

Who has taken this cruise ??  

I’m trying to find some interesting excursions for the trip.  

I’ve been on the Joy in Alaska and enjoyed the ship.  

I’d like to find some fun excursions for a solo traveler. 

I’ve looked at the Panama section and nothing really jumped out at me.  
TIA. 

793A98D1-20F5-4ADE-ADCB-B249E32BCAAB.jpeg

7AF4D008-F3E8-4CA6-A943-6F720A32DFB8.jpeg

For us the highlight of the trip was the panama canal.   On a previous trip we did a basic excursion into the heart of Cartagena,  walking around during free time was very interesting.  Did the camel ride in Cabo.  Don't recall what we did in Purto Vallarta.  And most important to me was buying the book: "The Path Between the Seas" and reading before and during the cruise.

We were on the Joy in the haven the end of Feb. 2020.  A week later and we would have been caught up in the covid nightmare.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

We haven't been on this itinerary yet, but we are taking roughly the same trip in the other direction on the Joy in December (Port Canaveral to LA). I have to agree with you that NCL's excursions look a bit lacking overall. There just aren't many options and those that do exist are often slight variations of the same things. I won't be able to share any reviews until it's borderline too late for y'all, but  if I find anything interesting as I'm hunting around, I'll let you know. I think we'll be taking third party excursions during that stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Well, since none of your ports except Panama City is IN Panama, it would also be helpful to explore the Ports of Call forum for the other ports.  🙂  (Costa Rica may be hard to find because it's listed under the Caribbean, even though it also has a Pacific Coast.  That's CC geography for you, LOL!)

We've transited the Canal twice, and visited all of your ports.  Here are some things to consider:

Cabo: you will be there during the humpback whale migration season.  A private whale watching tour would be great.

Puerto Quetzal: I strongly recommend taking the ship's "Antigua on Your Own" tour.  Lots of details about doing this over in the Guatemala forum, so I won't repeat them here.

Puntarenas:  Costa Rica is a great place for seeing wildlife.  A private tour that includes a boat ride on the Tarcoles River would be an excellent option. 

Cartagena: if this is your first visit, I strongly recommend a private tour with Dora the Explorer or another of the highly rated tour operators here on CC.  (Take a look in the Colombia forum.)

In the event this is helpful, linked below is my review, with photos, of our first Canal transit, on the NCL Jewel, including what we did in the various ports.   (If you are not comfortable with private tours, done with folks from your Roll Call, by all means look for NCL shorex that are similar.  But do join your Roll Call if you haven't done so already.)

Happy to answer questions if I can.  And I absolutely agree with the advice above to read "The Path Between the Seas" before you go.  You will appreciate the Canal that much more.  It should be required reading for all Panama Canal cruises.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

I’ve just booked Panama, Los Angeles to Miami for 15 day on the Joy in January. 

Who has taken this cruise ??  

I’m trying to find some interesting excursions for the trip.  

I’ve been on the Joy in Alaska and enjoyed the ship.  

I’d like to find some fun excursions for a solo traveler. 

TIA. 

793A98D1-20F5-4ADE-ADCB-B249E32BCAAB.jpeg

7AF4D008-F3E8-4CA6-A943-6F720A32DFB8.jpeg

I am traveling on the same Itinerary on the Bliss end of January. Have you joined your Roll Call yet? You  may be able to find some like minded solo/ or others to get some ideas. I hooked up with a group doing the Dora tour in Cartagena.

Not sure of your budget, but if you get the $50 excursion credit with NCL you can go on sone of the tours for a very reasonable price, even a few for free. 

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Well, since none of your ports except Panama City is IN Panama, it would also be helpful to explore the Ports of Call forum for the other ports.  🙂  (Costa Rica may be hard to find because it's listed under the Caribbean, even though it also has a Pacific Coast.  That's CC geography for you, LOL!)

We've transited the Canal twice, and visited all of your ports.  Here are some things to consider:

Cabo: you will be there during the humpback whale migration season.  A private whale watching tour would be great.

Puerto Quetzal: I strongly recommend taking the ship's "Antigua on Your Own" tour.  Lots of details about doing this over in the Guatemala forum, so I won't repeat them here.

Puntarenas:  Costa Rica is a great place for seeing wildlife.  A private tour that includes a boat ride on the Tarcoles River would be an excellent option. 

Cartagena: if this is your first visit, I strongly recommend a private tour with Dora the Explorer or another of the highly rated tour operators here on CC.  (Take a look in the Colombia forum.)

In the event this is helpful, linked below is my review, with photos, of our first Canal transit, on the NCL Jewel, including what we did in the various ports.   (If you are not comfortable with private tours, done with folks from your Roll Call, by all means look for NCL shorex that are similar.  But do join your Roll Call if you haven't done so already.)

Happy to answer questions if I can.  And I absolutely agree with the advice above to read "The Path Between the Seas" before you go.  You will appreciate the Canal that much more.  It should be required reading for all Panama Canal cruises.  🙂 

Thank you for the great information.  
I’ll look into the book.  But I’m not much of a reader.    But I found it on Amazon so I’ll get it.     Thank you again. 

4 minutes ago, kelib said:

I am traveling on the same Itinerary on the Bliss end of January. Have you joined your Roll Call yet? You  may be able to find some like minded solo/ or others to get some ideas. I hooked up with a group doing the Dora tour in Cartagena.

Not sure of your budget, but if you get the $50 excursion credit with NCL you can go on sone of the tours for a very reasonable price, even a few for free. 

I’m on the roll call.  Not really any help.   
I haven’t been able to find the on on the social media site though.  
And yes I just realized I get 50.00 for each port. I thought it was 50.00 total trip. So that’s a very cool thing.   
move added a few things into my cart to save. But thought I’d ask for more info.  Thank you. 

• Like 1

Hi there.  I did a similar cruise on the NCL Gem in January 2020 and have been to all the ports on your itinerary (most 3-4 times.)

I loved every excursion and all would be suitable for a solo traveller.  All the shore excursions I booked were through NCL.

Cabo: whale watching with snorkelling and luxury sail are both fabulous.  The luxury sail was my best day ever in Cabo.  Crew and food are wonderful.

Puerto Vallarta: highly recommend both Las Caletas getaway and the best of Puerto Vallarta.  Would avoid the excursion that is to the river where you can swim.  It’s a long day of driving and the tequila samples are stingy.  You can also do the transfer to the Malecon or do a guided walking tour of the town (I’ve done it twice and had fabulous guides both times.)

Guatemala: do Antigua on your own.  That’s the name of the excursion.  It’s a long bus ride, but sit up front and you will have a great view of the volcanos.  Antigua is a photographer’s dream and is the best place on this trip for shopping.  You get dropped off at the visitor Center for an orientation.  There will be guides to hire but you won’t need them.

Puntarenas: Sloth sanctuary!!!!!  This wasn’t offered initially but it became available during our cruise.  What a fabulous day.  

Cartagena: I’ve been there 3 times all with NCL.  First time was the overview tour, Best of Cartagena.  This was good (I loved the fishing village) but I hated the lunch and the looooong stop at the emerald store.  My recommendation would be to take the boat transfer to old town and do a guided tour there.  Old town is again a photographer’s dream.  Just be sure to tip the ladies if you take their photo.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi there.  I did a similar cruise on the NCL Gem in January 2020 and have been to all the ports on your itinerary (most 3-4 times.)

I loved every excursion and all would be suitable for a solo traveller.  All the shore excursions I booked were through NCL.

Puntarenas: Sloth sanctuary!!!!!  This wasn’t offered initially but it became available during our cruise.  What a fabulous day.  

I was really looking at the Sloth sanctuary so I am glad to hear it was a positive experience. 

12 hours ago, kelib said:

I was really looking at the Sloth sanctuary so I am glad to hear it was a positive experience. 

I’m going to have to look into this sloth excursion too.  Love sloths.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Cabo: whale watching with snorkelling and luxury sail are both fabulous.  The luxury sail was my best day ever in Cabo.  Crew and food are wonderful.

Puerto Vallarta: highly recommend both Las Caletas getaway and the best of Puerto Vallarta.  Would avoid the excursion that is to the river where you can swim.  It’s a long day of driving and the tequila samples are stingy.  You can also do the transfer to the Malecon or do a guided walking tour of the town (I’ve done it twice and had fabulous guides both times.)

Guatemala: do Antigua on your own.  That’s the name of the excursion.  It’s a long bus ride, but sit up front and you will have a great view of the volcanos.  Antigua is a photographer’s dream and is the best place on this trip for shopping.  You get dropped off at the visitor Center for an orientation.  There will be guides to hire but you won’t need them.

Cartagena: I’ve been there 3 times all with NCL.  First time was the overview tour, Best of Cartagena.  This was good (I loved the fishing village) but I hated the lunch and the looooong stop at the emerald store.  My recommendation would be to take the boat transfer to old town and do a guided tour there.  Old town is again a photographer’s dream.  Just be sure to tip the ladies if you take their photo.

Enjoy your cruise!

that was really helpful. Thank you

• Like 3

We are doing the 12 day from Panama to San Diego, a lot of the same ports. Read good reviews on Odyssey tours 10 in 1 Puntarenas. We have booked this for our trip and will comment after we have done it, a full 8 hour excursion with all the major hi-lites.

Also are doing whale watching in Cabo as the timing is right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lawnbowler48 said:

We are doing the 12 day from Panama to San Diego, a lot of the same ports. Read good reviews on Odyssey tours 10 in 1 Puntarenas. We have booked this for our trip and will comment after we have done it, a full 8 hour excursion with all the major hi-lites.

Awesome. Thank you.looking foreword to your review.  I appreciate it.  

10 hours ago, lawnbowler48 said:

Well after watching the video of this excursion it looked very cool.   But unfortunately we will only be in port 6-2pm.   
think. That’s why there not any excursions posted on  NCL. 

Excursions will show closer to the cruise. On this cruise, we had new excursions become available in most ports after we were on board.  We just checked at the Shore Ex desk each day and ended up making a bunch of switches.

Biggest mistake was doing the Samur Siamese Junk trip in Bonaire.  It was awful.

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Excursions will show closer to the cruise. On this cruise, we had new excursions become available in most ports after we were on board.  We just checked at the Shore Ex desk each day and ended up making a bunch of switches.

Biggest mistake was doing the Samur Siamese Junk trip in Bonaire.  It was awful.

Thanks.  Well glad I’m not going to Bonaire   Lol. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, bundtkate said:

We haven't been on this itinerary yet, but we are taking roughly the same trip in the other direction on the Joy in December (Port Canaveral to LA). I have to agree with you that NCL's excursions look a bit lacking overall. There just aren't many options and those that do exist are often slight variations of the same things. I won't be able to share any reviews until it's borderline too late for y'all, but  if I find anything interesting as I'm hunting around, I'll let you know. I think we'll be taking third party excursions during that stretch.

We are on the orlando to LA Departing Dec 4 . if you are on the same and interested in splitting costs on private excursions let me know.