Arcadia - Library Facilities

arlowood

Due to board Arcadia in just over a weeks' time and looking forward to it.

Much relieved to hear from recent cruisers on Arcadia that Sindhu appears to be open and functioning as normal. Have not heard any comments about the Ocean Grill so I suspect that is still closed but we live in hope.

My main query to any recent passengers on Arcadia is about the Library. Is it open as normal and are you able to withdraw books as per pre-Covid days. IIRC there were also several desktop PC's in the library available for passengers to use as required. Are these still there and accessible.

3 hours ago, arlowood said:

Due to board Arcadia in just over a weeks' time and looking forward to it.

Much relieved to hear from recent cruisers on Arcadia that Sindhu appears to be open and functioning as normal. Have not heard any comments about the Ocean Grill so I suspect that is still closed but we live in hope.

My main query to any recent passengers on Arcadia is about the Library. Is it open as normal and are you able to withdraw books as per pre-Covid days. IIRC there were also several desktop PC's in the library available for passengers to use as required. Are these still there and accessible.

Yes to all. They were fully open on 5th July cruise. They wouldn't take donated books from passengers though. That might have changed.

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

They wouldn't take donated books from passengers though. That might have changed.

So no donated books from passengers, yet returned books from passengers, not really sure what the difference is?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

So no donated books from passengers, yet returned books from passengers, not really sure what the difference is?

Me neither. Just overheard a conversation about it from someone who had tried to donate a book.

Yes I'm sure they are not routinely disinfecting all the books that people handle when browsing for something to read. They may disinfect returned books before placing them back on the shelves.

However it's a pretty pointless exercise as the scientific consensus appears to show that the likelihood of contracting Covid from surfaces is vanishingly small.

If you're looking to do a book swap then it's probably best to just drop the idea into the conversation with other passengers at lunch/dinner etc. That way you may land lucky and find someone on the lookout for more reading material. Could be a bit of a lottery depending on the respective tastes but who knows, you may stumble over an author you would otherwise never have discovered.

Edited by arlowood

On the Ventura library the book cases were kept locked, I had to peer through the glass to select my books and then ask the library person to open up the case and provide me with the books. On Iona the book cases were left unlocked for me to choose the books directly.

What is the procedure for choosing books  on Arcadia ?

I am looking forward to my first cruise on Arcadia in a few weeks time.

That Ventura situation was the same as on Azura in March. Bit tricky trying to find something you may like without reading the synopsis. We are on her again in 2 weeks time so I'm hoping the library is now fully open.

15 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Wanted a travel book on Arcadia couple of weeks ago and had to get the Librarian to open the cabinet for me.

No one ever caught covid from a library book. However, I imagine many have caught Noro from one, but the libraries aren't closed during a Noro outbreak. 

It defies all up to date scientific knowledge.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our J216 cruise on Arcadia and I'd like to update the information on the Library facilities for any others interested.

During Library opening hours the book cabinets are open and you are able to browse the books and select what you want to read.

There was one cabinet that was always open and contained what looked like donated paperbacks and other books from passengers who had finished reading them and did not want to carry them home. My wife and I made use of this at least once during the cruise. So effectively there is a book exchange system in place though I don't think P&O publicise the fact.

During our cruise there were at least 2 jigsaw puzzles on the go that anyone could have a go at completing or adding pieces.

There were at least 6 or 7 desktop PC's up and running for those who wanted to browse the free internet options (usually only P&O website or related sites) or search the wider web if they are on a WiFi package and don't want to fiddle with a smartphone or tablet/iPad.

Edited by arlowood