Newbie questions

lele100

Hi, I am Platinum on Carnival and have decided to try MSC, starting with a 3 day to see how I would like it.  I have a few questions please

1) I do not see any prices for the drink package ( I am looking at the 3 day Divina from Miami) any idea how much that would cost for both the easy plus and the premium)?

2) I do not see how much to rent umbrella at the private island, any idea?

3) Are drinks included on the private island?

4) I am assuming food on private island is included

5) For lunch aside from buffet are there any other options that are included?

Any thing else I should know that will be way different then Carnival and or Royal?  (e.g.  boarding, debarkation, drills, etc)

PS. I did get a match on my Carnival Platinum status. to Gold with MSC

Thank you

1 hour ago, lele100 said:

Hi, I am Platinum on Carnival and have decided to try MSC, starting with a 3 day to see how I would like it.  I have a few questions please

1) I do not see any prices for the drink package ( I am looking at the 3 day Divina from Miami) any idea how much that would cost for both the easy plus and the premium)?  They may not offer pre-purchase for the drink packages on a  short cruise, and may or may not offer them at embarkation (since people will tend to drink a lot in a three-day cruise, but cut back over time).  If offered, it should run about $49 per person/per day for easy plus and $69 for premium.  Not as good as Cheers, but no limit on number of drinks.

2) I do not see how much to rent umbrella at the private island, any idea?  $12, I believe

3) Are drinks included on the private island?  Whatever you drink package is applies.  Better than Carnival!

4) I am assuming food on private island is included  Yes

5) For lunch aside from buffet are there any other options that are included? At least one dining room should be open (exception may be Ocean Cay day, since they have a good buffet and food trucks on the island).

Any thing else I should know that will be way different then Carnival and or Royal?  (e.g.  boarding, debarkation, drills, etc)  It's been a minute since I've been on Carnival, but MSC does not have you do a lot of standing by the lifeboat.  Either you watch a video in your room on some ships and then get your card scanned at a designated location, or you gather for a short demo of the life vest at a location.

Thank you

Answers in your text.

• Like 1

$15 for an umbrella on Ocean Key for our October Divina sailing.

"Any thing else I should know that will be way different then Carnival and or Royal? (e.g. boarding, debarkation, drills, etc)"

Yes - pay close attention to what Experience you're booking and what's included or not in that Experience. It's a different way of pricing than the mainstream cruise lines.. MSC has 4 different booking Experiences, and each includes different things.

All include the basics, ie MDR, shows, entertainment, buffet, room, housekeeping, etc. 

Bella isost basic- basic cruise experience, rooms in less desirable locations, only set dining time, etc.  Fantastica is also set  dining although they get priority of choice in their times over Bella, some room service options included, better cabin locations, etc. Aurea adds anytime dining, two massages, best room locations, room service, and some more perks..and Yacht Club- Luz ship within ship, mainly am all-inclusive luxury experience- large cabins, butlers, separate restaurant, pool, deck, lounge, drink package, internet and so forth... (this is a generalization, not exact - check the website for exact inclusions).

Lots of people who cruise frequently on other lines get caught out by the Experience idea and not paying attention to what is included in their Experience - they book by price and then are mad when they can't do anytime dining or don't have room service included or such.. so, read up on that!

Muster drill is at your muster station, no going out to the actual lifeboat deck.

All announcements will be in at least 5 languages, often 6 or 7. Menus are multiple pages - same thing in 6 or so languages.

Service is more continental European style - staff won't be in your face all the time asking how you are, what can they get you, etc - be prepared to flag them down for service similar to bistro or bar in much of continental Europe. 

Much more diverse demographics (usually, although a 3 day will be heavier on USA than longer sailing). On many Miami sailings, US passengers account for half or less of all aboard, which makes for much different atmosphere aboard than RCCL or Carnival, etc. loads from south America, Russia, European countries, etc.  It adds to their experience for us - others seem to find it distressing to have so many different cultures colliding aboard (some cultures don't queue up for things the same as others, more smoking around than other cruises, layer dining times tend to be more popular, etc).   

Have a great time!! 

Edited by reedprincess
Extra info

28 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

$15 for an umbrella on Ocean Key for our October Divina sailing.

But don't rent an umbrella in advance. You may find a comfortable spot on Lighthouse Beach under a free colored umbrella. Pro tip: Take a couple of 2-3" nails with you because many of the pins needed to raise the umbrella are missing.

Thank you for all the information.  I know I have read so many bad reviews on the Food.  What are your opinions?

I am Italian, born in Italy, I go to Italy every 2 years to visit so I know the service difference between USA and Europe, its just something you need to get used to.

How is the entertainment at night?

2 hours ago, lele100 said:

Thank you for all the information.  I know I have read so many bad reviews on the Food.  What are your opinions?

I am Italian, born in Italy, I go to Italy every 2 years to visit so I know the service difference between USA and Europe, its just something you need to get used to.

We love the shows - they're different though. Short, usually mainly musical and dancing as with so many nationalities and cultures aboard, stories don't always translate well. They're about 40 minutes long.. lots of music, IME, nightlife and such last longer than more American mainstream lines - nightclub usually hopping still at 2 or 3 am. I'd expect a short 3 nighter to be quite lively! 

We have always enjoyed the food. Again, different than what you'll find on Carnival or RCCL but in a good way - to us. We enjoy the differences.  There's the always available, chicken, beef, salmon.. buffet is diverse. Best pizza at sea. And the sticky cinnamon buns at breakfast are divine . As is the breakfast pizza!! 

I'm sure you'll enjoy. As with other lines - 3 nighters are very different than week long cruises - usually much more of a party cruise, lively, and service can seem more stretched . 

Have a great time! 

16 hours ago, reedprincess said:

We love the shows - they're different though. Short, usually mainly musical and dancing as with so many nationalities and cultures aboard, stories don't always translate well. They're about 40 minutes long.. lots of music, IME, nightlife and such last longer than more American mainstream lines - nightclub usually hopping still at 2 or 3 am. I'd expect a short 3 nighter to be quite lively! 

We have always enjoyed the food. Again, different than what you'll find on Carnival or RCCL but in a good way - to us. We enjoy the differences.  There's the always available, chicken, beef, salmon.. buffet is diverse. Best pizza at sea. And the sticky cinnamon buns at breakfast are divine . As is the breakfast pizza!! 

I'm sure you'll enjoy. As with other lines - 3 nighters are very different than week long cruises - usually much more of a party cruise, lively, and service can seem more stretched . 

Have a great time! 

Thank  you.  You are correct the difference between a 3 nighter and 7 nighter.  But I just want to give it a try to see how I like the cruiseline itself before committing to a full week.

On 8/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, lele100 said:

1) I do not see any prices for the drink package ( I am looking at the 3 day Divina from Miami) any idea how much that would cost for both the easy plus and the premium)?

2) I do not see how much to rent umbrella at the private island, any idea?

3) Are drinks included on the private island?

4) I am assuming food on private island is included

5) For lunch aside from buffet are there any other options that are included?

Any thing else I should know that will be way different then Carnival and or Royal?  (e.g.  boarding, debarkation, drills, etc)

Thank you

Use a travel agent!

Never call them!

1 hour ago, lele100 said:

Why?

They have bad IT and even worse customer service.

I still have issues from 2020 not settled.

If you call they seem to goof up your booking.

Your fair can magically increase a month before sailing despite being paid in full. If you don't pay it, your reservation will be cancelled. Then you need to fight to get it back. I still don't from a March cruise.

They will move you out of yacht club despite being paid in full and put you in a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare and no access to yacht club area.

They always take my picked cabin at booking away and turn it into a guarantee.

They have changed the date of my sailing without telling me.

They have changed countries for boarding with our telling me as well.

All the above is factual to me. I have 5 booked thru them. Great product but the issues are a joke. Let a TA handle the BS.

52 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They have bad IT and even worse customer service.

I still have issues from 2020 not settled.

If you call they seem to goof up your booking.

Your fair can magically increase a month before sailing despite being paid in full. If you don't pay it, your reservation will be cancelled. Then you need to fight to get it back. I still don't from a March cruise.

They will move you out of yacht club despite being paid in full and put you in a regular balcony cabin with no reduction in fare and no access to yacht club area.

They always take my picked cabin at booking away and turn it into a guarantee.

They have changed the date of my sailing without telling me.

They have changed countries for boarding with our telling me as well.

All the above is factual to me. I have 5 booked thru them. Great product but the issues are a joke. Let a TA handle the BS.

Wow, I would never go back if that happened to me, thats crazy

2 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

What is the dress code like on MSC?  I've seen where people say it is casual like NCL, but then I've seen where people say it is dressier.

The dress code might not require a higher standard, but in actual practice, we thought that overall, passengers dressed much better than on other mainstream lines, certainly way better than on NCL.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:56 PM, lele100 said:

Hi! Being Italian will help you tremendously!... Do you know what a 4*/4*+ land hotel in Italy is about So; MSC is pretty much the same as that with a few details touching eventually the 5*. Don't let the naysayers get you wrong. They've a nice mainstream product. No drinks packages on less than 5 night cruises as far as I know. The other members have already said most of the essentials. Don't know what your ship will be; being a 3 night cruise I'd assume you'll be on the Divina. It's a middle aged ship, very classy, offering such a quiet experience, even though a 3 night cruise tends to the party vibe... No "bells & whistles" for sure, but a nice, Italian flavored environment. When in Europe they used to have such a pianist or a classical quartet playing classical or easy listening music in the atrium. There will be a disco that will be open till later, the other venues will have such a thematic band or duo playing there, and of course they'll have the usual theater shows, more visual than a story telling type of show, somewhat repetitive at times, but more than enjoyable for a 3 nights cruise. Maybe some differences may apply on the US.

Food tends to the Italian/Mediterranean comfort food with a nice twist. Back in the day it used to be more authentic. With the times it has become more mainstream/international to please a larger audience. That could be good or not so good, depending on whether you're expecting such a return home to Italy or otherwise. Nowadays I feel like it is Italian influenced... But not as authentic as dining in a street restaurant in Italy. Quality is generally good, some things better than others, but generally nothing to write home about, just good enough to feed you for the day with a nice conversation in the mix. Pizza, some pasta dishes, gelato and coffee are the best at sea though and you can have coffee pretty much on every bar.

• Like 2